Desperate Times for Bury | Vital Football

Desperate Times for Bury

Not looking great for Bolton either - already had 3 friendlies called off. Worrying times for fans of both clubs.

It's time the EFL started looking at what is going wrong, a limit on transfer fee's and wage cap would be a start.

Meanwhile a player appears to be about to "earn" £1m pw if I heard correctly. Madness.
Not really madness if you understand the concepts of supply and demand.

Billions of people pay to watch the top players play. The players are the reason why. Its right they make the most money out of football. If anything they should take more and tv companies should take less profits.

The EPL from top to bottom, ie management, clubs etc, along with Sky primarily as well as other TV companies are all to blame. They have effectively sucked all the money that should have gone to football across the board leaving lower division and smaller clubs to scratch around for a living hoping for a lucrative cup run, televised match or the occasional player being taken by an EPL club. Despite what the EPL claims, very, very little money trickles down to the lower leagues apart from the few who benefit from parachute payments. We've seen a huge influx of players from around the world at the expense EFL clubs and Scottish clubs too come to that - think of all the great Scottish players that plied their trade south of the border; now there are just a few. Of course, there are club owners who've gone overboard with their ambitions and normally lack of resourcesYet, these people are always passed as fit for purpose by the EFL. Last but not, the 'fans' have to take a large chunk of responsibility; happy to sit on their sofas with a box of lager and watch the box instead of going to a match and visit the local pub before and/or after - the decline in the fortunes of lower league clubs and pubs.

The EPL from top to bottom, ie management, clubs etc, along with Sky primarily as well as other TV companies are all to blame. They have effectively sucked all the money that should have gone to football across the board leaving lower division and smaller clubs to scratch around for a living hoping for a lucrative cup run, televised match or the occasional player being taken by an EPL club. Despite what the EPL claims, very, very little money trickles down to the lower leagues apart from the few who benefit from parachute payments. We've seen a huge influx of players from around the world at the expense EFL clubs and Scottish clubs too come to that - think of all the great Scottish players that plied their trade south of the border; now there are just a few. Of course, there are club owners who've gone overboard with their ambitions and normally lack of resourcesYet, these people are always passed as fit for purpose by the EFL. Last but not, the 'fans' have to take a large chunk of responsibility; happy to sit on their sofas with a box of lager and watch the box instead of going to a match and visit the local pub before and/or after - the decline in the fortunes of lower league clubs and pubs.
I actually agree with Wayne on a lot of that, here comes the but, I still believe clubs are being mismanaged and this is the largest single cause of the problem. There are too many clubs chasing promotion by spending money they don't have, Scally isn't everyone's cup of tea but after a shaky start he does seem to manage within budget.

I actually agree with Wayne on a lot of that, here comes the but, I still believe clubs are being mismanaged and this is the largest single cause of the problem.
Thanks, it's a fine line between ambition and mismanagement and the problems arise when that line is crossed. It's a balancing act - things go well and a star player gets injured; the cup run doesn't materialise or gates don't live up to expectations.

I actually agree with Wayne on a lot of that, here comes the but, I still believe clubs are being mismanaged and this is the largest single cause of the problem. There are too many clubs chasing promotion by spending money they don't have, Scally isn't everyone's cup of tea but after a shaky start he does seem to manage within budget.
Scally does largely work to a budget. But he has been guilty on a few occasions of overspending. The 13 million is a example of that .Blame ITV digital if you wish.But the lesson is don't spend what you have not got .However for every two or three losers there is probably a example of a winner who gambling big got into a higher league etc.Totally with Wayne on this one .That's why I boycott Sky and BT live tv games and will continue to do so.

However for every two or three losers there is probably a example of a winner who gambling big got into a higher league etc.

Unfortunately it’s almost impossible get into the EPL without taking a big financial gamble. Applies to a lesser extent throughout the divisions. The losses made by some clubs in tiers five, six and seven are ridiculous.

Unfortunately it’s almost impossible get into the EPL without taking a big financial gamble. Applies to a lesser extent throughout the divisions. The losses made by some clubs in tiers five, six and seven are ridiculous.
Then there is Burnley FC that has survived without taking 'big' risks.

It is the plastic support that is destroying the game at the end of the day.But while there are clubs and fans willing to gamble everything on the turn of a card so to speak there will be massive negative problems in the game.
For years I have said that this TV money could easily be addressed by fans having control of where their share of the TV revenue went .A maximum level for top clubs.But fans able to pick Gillingham, Chatham town or even there local pub team perhaps to receive the amount they pay that goes to clubs.The vast majority would still go to the Premier league. But a well supported club would still have a safety net .A poorly supported club would have less motivation to gamble on getting to a higher league In the main it would no longer be worth the gamble.

Last edited:
How much fun is it watching a box of lager.

Not really madness if you understand the concepts of supply and demand.

Billions of people pay to watch the top players play. The players are the reason why. Its right they make the most money out of football. If anything they should take more and tv companies should take less profits.
I do totally understand the system we live in. The system is the problem. "Rewards" are wildly out of proportion imo. Very sad. You don't have to be a dreamy "commie" to think the disparities are ludicrously wide.