Dalian Atkinson | Page 4 | Vital Football

Dalian Atkinson

I hope this scumbag gets the maximum sentence possible and has everything coming to him as a dirty copper in prison.

I can't say I agree with the manslaughter verdict over murder. I doubt he went into the confrontation wanting to kill Dalian but once he tazered him for the 2nd then 3rd time for considerably more than he knew to be safe surely its obvious he didn't care if he killed a man already on the floor. As for the boots to the head, baffles me how that coup de gras can be seen as anything other than an attempt to kill a man.

I hope Dalians family and loved ones can take some small comfort in this but I know I wouldn't. At least they know he will be more fondly remembered by thousands of Villa (and other) fans forever. Whereas the creatures that ended his life will only be thought of as a stain on humanity.

Yes, but that is what baffles, kicking someone when they are down, to me shows intent to inflict bad damage, kicking someone in the head, grievous harm.
Sure, to you or me, but for 12 randomers beyond reasonable doubt? All the guff about "He was big and angry and I was soooo scared" clearly did enough to put that doubt in a few jurors' heads.

Sure, to you or me, but for 12 randomers beyond reasonable doubt? All the guff about "He was big and angry and I was soooo scared" clearly did enough to put that doubt in a few jurors' heads.

There are a lot of people who would fall hook line and sinker for the "big angry black guy" defence.

I have to say this particular case made me challenge a lot of things I believed about the police both in this country and in general by asking myself if it had been Dean Saunders, who has been on the wrong side of the law himself, had been in the same situation would he have come out alive. Almost certainly yes was the conclusion I came to.

Police training in this country lasts 2 years. In the US it can be as little as a few weeks.

Going to matches in London in the 1960s, Fulham police (Fulham and Chelsea) were fine. Police at Spurs were mounted and routinely rode the horses at the fans queuing up.

Yes, I was in a crowd trying to get into a game at White Hart Lane in the early 1970s and the police basically lost control. Several of us got jammed into a little garden and in the end one guy broke the window of the house and he and several others climbed in to get to safety! (I didn't.) I ended up carrying a young fellow through the crowd to safety - he was scared out of his life. British policing at its best - not!
But at least nobody died whereas a very troubled individual did lose his life because two police officers totally over-reacted. I'm not sure what the jury will say about the woman PC but PC Monk got away lightly - not that I expect his time inside will be much fun.

It seems pretty obvious that Dalian was suffering some form of mental breakdown.
Couldn't someone have called for him to be taken in for an involuntary assessment? A friend, colleague, neighbour, family member, or even the police that ended up killing him. It's something I've done 4 times for people I am not related to but, had regular contact with due to my job.

I am F'fing fuming that he has got away with murder all because he had a uniform .
He kicked Dalian Twice in the head after he had tasared him 3 times .
If I had kicked a bloke in the head twice after I had knocked him out I would never see the outside again ! !

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a shocking incident, even worse given its West Mercia police as the local force.

What I’d like to know - did this PC Monk know who Dalian was? Given his age, I assume he did. And has he gone harder on him because he was a footballer or because of who he played for?

It could be completely coincidental, but who knows what goes through peoples minds. Is it some sort of tough revenge, or just severe negligence but void of any other motive?

It seems pretty obvious that Dalian was suffering some form of mental breakdown.
Couldn't someone have called for him to be taken in for an involuntary assessment? A friend, colleague, neighbour, family member, or even the police that ended up killing him. It's something I've done 4 times for people I am not related to but, had regular contact with due to my job.

People just don't think and you dont know, what you dont know. I think the mind is still too much of a mystery to the average person. You probably know a few people who think psychology is a load of shite or just cant or wont accept any of your own struggles.

Plus his friends and family were probably incredibly naive, "he can do it on his own" or "its not that bad".