Dalian Atkinson | Page 2 | Vital Football

Dalian Atkinson

The difference is driven by the agenda of the media and politicians.
That's what I was getting at yes. I bet the media in the US hasn't even reported about Dalian Atkinson, not that it has exactly made headline news over here since it happened

That's what I was getting at yes. I bet the media in the US hasn't even reported about Dalian Atkinson, not that it has exactly made headline news over here since it happened
Wouldn't fit their narrative as they don't know the race, gender or sexual orientation of the police involved....

Unless you're a fan of one of the clubs Dalian played for or read the evening mail every day then I'd bet very few have heard about this case even in Britain.

In my opinion it suits our media just fine to look at America constantly so we can pretend we're better than them whilst completely ignoring this so they don't have to ask awkward questions about our police.

In my opinion it suits our media just fine to look at America constantly so we can pretend we're better than them whilst completely ignoring this so they don't have to ask awkward questions about our police.
Or it could be that the British media are waiting to see actual facts, evidence and due-process.... a concept that doesn't exist in the US media....

Or it could be that the British media are waiting to see actual facts, evidence and due-process.... a concept that doesn't exist in the US media....
There is that yes, our system is that cut above. I think it's still innocent until proven guilty over here unlike trail by camera phone in America

Wow. Initially I thought it was a bit of a freak accident where a taser was drawn responsibly, but it obviously wasn’t. And to hear he was kicked in the head too, that’s shocking. Policing is a tough job, and there are fine lines between what’s acceptable and what isn’t, but this feels far from acceptable.

If true of course

If this had happened in America and not Telford we'd be having more than taking a bloody knee at football matches happening. Amazing how we take so little notice of our own but worry about America
Yeah agree seems strange that there’s no interest in this story despite it being a shocking case and worse than other stories which hit the news.

Anyway that’s a side point… the details emerging are absolutely shocking, terrible and scary to think that the police would do that to anyone. You have to wonder whether race had a part to play, I hope it was just a shit copper but it sounds too extreme to ignore the possibility, even if it was just subconscious at least.

The guy had some serious mental problems - in that scenario would the police violently attack a white man… maybe or maybe not. I alway thought they would be trained to diffuse the situation not use excessive force which they did. There’s also a difference between excessive force and an assault which this clearly was if what is reported is true (re using a taser for 30 seconds longer than permitted and also kicking him in the head) which is what ultimately killed him.

Main difference is reporting restrictions....the press can only cover what's privileged info released in Court, there can be no speculation, counter argument, argument in the support of that info released.

It has to be straight as a die until a judgement is come to it. With the US's free speech, as we see, nigh on anything can be said during a trial and outlets can choose their angle. Again over here, there has to be a more balanced report based on what prosecution offer and defence rebut with.

I've only seen headlines so far, so otherwise won't comment yet.

The British print media have form for declaring many people guiltily before the trial or even before an arrests been made. Can't remember the names but a few years ago a girl was killed and the press almost unanimously decided it was her landlord simply because he had a weird haircut. His whole life was torn apart before someone else was found to have killed the girl.

Till the trials done I'll say no more except that Dalian was someone clearly having some sort of mental health breakdown, or whatever the correct term is. That shouldn't have led to him dying from police action.

I’ve used a taser. Generally speaking if it’s worked it will lock the muscles out instantly. If it hasn’t, you can fire again. But you don’t need to keep the thing going for 33 seconds. That’s almost torture and it’s not used as a compliance tool in the UK.

Reading the evidence so far the police officers sound like they'd just left the pub after a few too many pints looking for a bit of action.

Looks a thug doesn't he that copper and he's knocking off his partner in crime as well. Pretty common in the police force when they team up a woman and man in a car all day. Allegedly

in that scenario would the police violently attack a white man… maybe or maybe not.

I am far from being woke in today’s world, but I do absolutely think there is something at play here - even if subconscious. If that’s a fairly big, drunk white guy they would’ve probably wrestled him to the floor at most. Who knows, but there must be a subconscious tick for a different action or even if they did get the taser out, I bet they would’ve followed the guidance unlike the reports of this story.

I bit my tongue on this story when it came out as I wanted to hear the details as I thought it was just a bad set of circumstances and bad luck. But it’s police negligence which has lost the life of a player who I admired as a kid. I often think we are lucky in the U.K. to not have the problems they have in America - and we don’t by and large - but this is a tragic one that needs to be dealt with by the law.