Current Squad: June 2020 | Page 5 | Vital Football

Current Squad: June 2020

MA did say some better experienced players would become available in The Summer and he would be looking to sign some. That is probably even more relevant with Covid and don't forget the Championship only finished yesterday so retained lists at that level won't have been circulated just yet.
I'm not sure I like the sound of this "The Summer".

Updated with the length of Sean Roughan's contract:

Goalkeepers: (0)

Defenders: (6)
Lewis Montsma, 22 (June 2023) Centre-half
Sean Roughan, 17 (June 2023) Centre-half
Max Melbourne, 21 (June 2022) Left-back
Ben Coker, 31 (June 2021) Left-back
Cian Bolger, 28 (June 2021) Centre-half
Aaron Lewis, 22 (June 2021)
Right-back

Central Midfielders: (5)
James Jones, 24 (June 2023)
Tayo Edun, 22 (June 2022)
Jack Payne, 25 (June 2021)
Jorge Grant, 25 (unknown)
Alex Bradley, 21 (unknown)

Wingers: (2)
Zack Elbouzedi, 22 (unknown, 'long-term deal')
Harry Anderson, 23 (unknown, extension signed in July 2019)

Strikers: (3)
Tom Hopper, 26 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 21 (June 2021)
Jordan Adebayo-Smith, 19 (June 2021)

Total: 16
Contracted: 16
On loan: 0

Average age at 30 June 2020: 23 years 4 months.

Updated following the signing of Ethan Ross:

Goalkeepers: (1)
Ethan Ross, 23 (June 2021)

Right-back

Central Midfielders: (5)

Total: 17
Contracted: 17

Average age at 30 June 2020: 23 years 4 months.

Updated following the signing of Conor McGrandles:

Goalkeepers: (1)
Ethan Ross, 23 (June 2021)

Right-back

Central Midfielders: (6)
Conor McGrandles, 24 (TBA)

Total: 18
Contracted: 18

Average age at 30 June 2020: 23 years 5 months.

We now have a team and a bench! I am worried about the significant lack of experience at this level and we are also carrying a couple who appear to be dead wood, given contracts under a previous regime. Looks like we need some canny older players to give this some depth and knowledge but can't help feeling the next lot in will young loanees, from higher divisions.' "You can't win anything with kids."

We now have a team and a bench! I am worried about the significant lack of experience at this level and we are also carrying a couple who appear to be dead wood, given contracts under a previous regime. Looks like we need some canny older players to give this some depth and knowledge but can't help feeling the next lot in will young loanees, from higher divisions.' "You can't win anything with kids."

Sorry, but I can’t see how Jack Payne can be considered as ‘dead wood’ .... there is still a very talented player in there somewhere, I’m disappointed that MA has disregarded him completely?

Sorry, but I can’t see how Jack Payne can be considered as ‘dead wood’ .... there is still a very talented player in there somewhere, I’m disappointed that MA has disregarded him completely?

Completely agree Payne looked good early on under the Cowley’s, the few times he came off the bench under MA I thought he did well. Coker I only saw for 60 mins in the cup game against a strong forward line from Rotherham and I can’t remember him putting a foot wrong as we didn’t concede that game.
If these players are under contract and don’t go anywhere else surely we should try to utilise them, as it could save wages on players coming in to make up the squad. Payne in particular I would like to see given a chance unless something has gone on behind the scenes we are not aware of.

Looking at the vastly reduced age of the defence, I assume that extra bit of speed provided by youth is going to prove critical in playing out from the back. I hope!

Current average ages in each department:

Goalkeeper: 23 years 3 months

Defence: 23 years 9 months

Central midfield: 23 years 11 months

Wingers: 22 years 9 months

Strikers: 22 years 4 months

We are clearly short of a goalie and central defender as I don't imagine Roughan is considered ready yet. We'd want 4 centre backs in case of injury and MA doesnt seem to like Melbourne central.The change in policy regarding players brought in and their age/sell on price couldn't be clearer. A couple of more experienced players-maybe loans-and we may be set to go. Interesting times ahead!

Many seem to be dismissing Coker as an option for us. Injury free he's a very decent defender at our level as shown over quite a few seasons with Southend. We haven't had the chance to really assess him as our player and he just might become an asset. Just needs to keep injury free

Many seem to be dismissing Coker as an option for us. Injury free he's a very decent defender at our level as shown over quite a few seasons with Southend. We haven't had the chance to really assess him as our player and he just might become an asset. Just needs to keep injury free

Look a bit short at right back too with just Lewis (no pun Intended).

I agree, I think he might yet have a part to play for us. Yes he's had a serious injury - but then so did Eardley, and we all know how his Imps career went. The same goes for several others. Perhaps more important is whether he feels comfortable returning to train and play given his diabetes and accompanying vulnerability to covid19. With a baby at home too it's not a simple decision for him.