#COVID19 | Page 765 | Vital Football

#COVID19

You have to wonder if events like that will ever return in their old format.

It's all a big conspiracy.
The Mainstream media don't want Corbyn disciples to ruin half-decent rock ditties. The BBC, now directed by the reincarnation of Hitler who, COINCIDENTLY are the main 'sponsor', have demanded that Eavis will not allowed to keep any dairy cows if he permits any member of Momentum in again.

The White Stripes have been conspicuous by their silence in the matter and some believe they are changing their name to the Red Stripes in honour of the 45th President of the United States, who has been spotted near Area 51, pulsing a sinister orange hue.

Festivals will be back but I wonder what the odds of Glastonbury 2022 are, we’re in this shit for a few years yet, despite the vaccine.

3 weeks ago we were talking about lockdown for January

2 weeks ago it was lockdown till Easter.

Then it was lockdown till spring.

Now Mr Johnson says it might last till summer.

Half the fucking year down the shitter because he dithered rather than taking timely action, for the third time.

Half the fucking year down the shitter because he dithered rather than taking timely action, for the third time.

A810D9BD-5D9C-4C26-B360-56B12B499C5B.jpeg

The incompetence I could sort of accept as we’ve known for years this country is fucking shit & run by arseholes but the corruption is getting really trying especially with how badly it’s worked out.

Says you! That's never voted for Labour.

But you're entitled to your opinion. Like I'm entitled to worry the direction that Labour going. Which I was a paid member for a lot of years. That got behind every Labour leader since Blair.

Your problem is that you can't stand anyone criticising the BBC.
And when someone does outcomes the mental health slurs. Just because someone has a different view to yourself. It's very childish.

The BBC news and politics taught us
To be racist
To hate the Germans
To think that immigrants are the problem
That schools are safe
That the miners deserved to get their heads smashed by the police
That every Liverpool fan is scum
That peace is wrong
That war is necessary
That the disabled are frauds and work shy

And now saying Johnson glad that Trump gone. After copying him since he became PM

The only thing I've given the Tories credit for is regarding the vaccination. But I'm Scared and disgusted that they're going against the manufacturer three weeks in between doses. This govt got everything wrong and now they're putting more lives and the economy at risk.
I think it really depends what programmes you watch. I dont watch that much tv. newsnight and have i got news for you type programmes and they always seem to see things as I do, knocking the tories, brexit, covod response etc etc

Because how we prepared for such an event and how we have responded has been an utter shambles from the beginning. Our entire strategy is one best characterised as muddling thru and making shit up on the hoof and it has had deadly, devestating consequences. That has nothing to do with the virus. I actually give a shit about this stupid island although fuck knows why. It breaks me to see such incompetence and lack of leadership.

We've spent more money than magic granpa's wildest wet dream and got the highest death rate in the world. The answer clearly requires some serious social policies and so far i have seen some job preparation training for young people. I imagine it involves being sat on their arse cos its gonna be a while before they find one.

I abhor this govt because they are not fucking good enough for this country. I despair for the day this country gets some proper leadership.

We also knew all this before the elections.. I mean Boris Johnson ffs, I used to think it was funny, like Trump.

Not all of 'we' I ve been clear youre in this for years.. just cos its obvious, same as vaccinations will take years

Wait till the SA strain is running through the country and current vaccines are ineffective and we have to start all over again...

I can get through tomorrow and the next day so long as I can believe that isn't true.

SA strain reduces vaccine efficacy by 50% on average and in large numbers of cases to 0. It's also extremely transmitable.

Israeli research shows a single dose strategy is far less effective than had been hoped.

We're focusing on a vaccine with just a 60% rate 2 weeks after the second dose.

All those 3 together...

And if it mutates aggressively again...

SA strain reduces vaccine efficacy by 50% on average and in large numbers of cases to 0. It's also extremely transmitable.

Israeli research shows a single dose strategy is far less effective than had been hoped.

All those 3 together...

Can I have a look at a link for the first paragraph?

Second thoughts, better not.

Thankfully it should not be a total start from scratch on the vaccine. If the current one has efficacy it is going to cut the mortality and hospitalisation rate of a relatively undeadly virus anyway. And the existing ones will need evolution rather than revolution.

Alas, the key really is to a) not get that strain here and b) when eventually we do, a government taking swift, decisive, Draconian and potentially unpopular action....

Fuckity fuck fuck

All those 3 together...

I would like a link too, please.

My take is this.
Any new strain with mutations that affect the spike protein will be a worry wrt vaccines that use the spike protein for recognition.
That's because you are training the blood's antibodies to attack a certain shapr, but the virus doesn't match that shadow arrow so well if mutations have occurred.
However, as I've put before, it would need to mutate quite a lot (as in many mutations that all combine in a bad way) to render the current approved vaccines useless. A single mutation usually changes one single amino acid in a very long chain of amino acids that make up the spike protein. Each one is definitely a concern and, worse, those mutations/concerns are cumulative. That's a bit of an over simplification but not far from the truth. There are approx 1500 AAs in this coronavirus's spikes and even the scary SA variant has, I think, only 10 mutations so far. (and some mutations called deletions too which also contribute to worrisome spike protein shape changes.)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/south...-raises-questions-over-vaccine-effectiveness/

I'm using a link to the forum's favourite newspaper here only because it uses some useful direct quotes from scientists. Both of them - paraphrased - say, "cause for concern but unlikely to be a major problem just yet for the vaccines we have right now".

Reinfection sounds awful. Is it, though?
Even if the vaccine is less effective because it isn't quite such a good match for the spike, it doesn't mean that it won't be significantly beneficial. What these reports are saying is that you could potentially get 'sars-cov-2' again - the parenthesis because it is a slightly different virus from the original Hong Kong Fluey. However, while the UK strain might be 70pc more transmissible, and the SA stain might be 50pc more transmissible, nobody who is vaccinated will care much of they contact it... so long as the symptoms are, say, a runny nose and headache for a day. Yes, you've got the lurgy, but "bad luck, shit happens, take the day off work". With that in mind a 0pc level of protection from catching the disease, per se, is fine so long as there is very little chance that you will be seriously ill.

Caveats & Clarifications:
1. I'm neglecting the immuno-compromised above, but those poor buggers have to avoid everything else that floats around too.
2. No reports yet that the new strains are any more deadly that the original. Phew.
3. This virus, like all of them, will undoubtedly mutate. It is inevitable. Fortunately it doesn't seem to do it particularly quickly and my hunch is that we will be able to out run it. It does not mean we will be in eternal lockdown.
4. Mutation is far less likely to occur if prevalence is low. Curse this damned government and Bolsanaro et al for giving it helpful conditions. At least things are looking up stateside.
5. Pope is right. We won't be starting from scratch. Apart from all the stuff above about protections from the older versions of the vaccine, we can tweak very quickly and get approval more quickly than for the original vaccines. It happens every year for flu.
6. I'm starting to think it might be less likely than I thought a few weeks ago that us forty-somethings, or maybe those in their twenties, will get the jabs as we know them today. They might already have tweaked, approved, manufactured and be distributing Pfizer 2.0 by the time they get to the top of the list. Depends if Mrs S pulls her finger out...

Last edited:
I would like a link too, please.

My take is this.
Any new strain with mutations that affect the spike protein will be a worry wrt vaccines that use the spike protein for recognition.
That's because you are training the blood's antibodies to attack a certain shapr, but the virus doesn't match that shadow arrow so well if mutations have occurred.
However, as I've put before, it would need to mutate quite a lot (as in many mutations that all combine in a bad way) to render the current approved vaccines useless. A single mutation usually changes one single amino acid in a very long chain of amino acids that make up the spike protein. Each one is definitely a concern and, worse, those mutations/concerns are cumulative. That's a bit of an over simplification but not far from the truth. There are approx 1500 AAs in this coronavirus's spikes and even the scary SA variant has, I think, only 10 mutations so far. (and some mutations called deletions too which also contribute to worrisome spike protein shape changes.)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/south...-raises-questions-over-vaccine-effectiveness/

I'm using a link to the forum's favourite newspaper here only because it uses some useful direct quotes from scientists. Both of them - paraphrased - say, "cause for concern but unlikely to be a major problem just yet for the vaccines we have right now".

Reinfection sounds awful. Is it, though?
Even if the vaccine is less effective because it isn't quite such a good match for the spike, it doesn't mean that it won't be significantly beneficial. What these reports are saying is that you could potentially get 'sars-cov-2' again - the parenthesis because it is a slightly different virus from the original Hong Kong Fluey. However, while the UK strain might be 70pc more transmissible, and the SA stain might be 50pc more transmissible, nobody who is vaccinated will care much of they contact it... so long as the symptoms are, say, a runny nose and headache for a day. Yes, you've got the lurgy, but "bad luck, shit happens, take the day off work". With that in mind a 0pc level of protection from catching the disease, per se, is fine so long as there is very little chance that you will be seriously ill.

Caveats & Clarifications:
1. I'm neglecting the immuno-compromised above, but those poor buggers have to avoid everything else that floats around too.
2. No reports yet that the new strains are any more deadly that the original. Phew.
3. This virus, like all of them, will undoubtedly mutate. It is inevitable. Fortunately it doesn't seem to do it particularly quickly and my hunch is that we will be able to out run it. It does not mean we will be in eternal lockdown.
4. Mutation is far less likely to occur if prevalence is low. Curse this damned government and Bolsanaro et al for giving it helpful conditions. At least things are looking up stateside.

Can't find the link I want but I'll hunt again shortly, here's one that's sort of relevant.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...to-protect-against-new-variant-study-suggests

Can't find the link I want but I'll hunt again shortly, here's one that's sort of relevant.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...to-protect-against-new-variant-study-suggests
Yes. That matches what I wrote above.

Nobody will be surprised in the slightest that updates will be required as the virus changes shape. Nor am I overly concerned - yet - that there will be a sudden drop from Excellent to Zero protection based on the tools we have right now.

Calm but nervous, you might say.

But wasn't you against Nottingham going in to lockdown? Are you doing a Starmer?

We should of had a proper full lockdown before November.

That would of saved many lives.

Yes it would of caused much damage not only to the economy but also deaths.

But not like what we're seeing now.