#COVID19 | Page 340 | Vital Football

#COVID19

"Got Brexit done
And helped the Tories win with a massive majority
Helped demonise The Labour party"

You could say the very same about Corbyn
Corbyn got more people in to politics. He grew the membership. He tried to change the approach to politics and economics. He fought against the establishment.

The media and those in the Labour party were out to get him from day one. The constant attacks were unprecedented. He failed and we in the Labour party failed to fight against the establishment.

The election in 2019 was a Brexit election. The Tories did what they always do so well, divide and conquer! The left always falls for it.

Corbyn a good man who wasn't interested at first to be PM. But he wanted change to give people hope that had been let down by the Tories. If Labour had been united we would of been in power in 2017.

But Corbyn had many faults. Especially the way he treated the media. But you imagine being constantly lied about. All while the Tories were getting away from being held to account.

An audience of 6!

Franz, The Major, Big Dave, Seymore and Pearce; who is the other one?

The Major had his application for Who Dares Wins turned down; professional military types are not allowed to take part apparently.

Especially since he already served. It would be an unfair advantage.

That's odd given other studies show dramatically different results, hopeful though.

I see multiple members of SAGE are criticising the government over easing the lockdown and opening schools.
But nothing from Starmer. Labour need to come out and force the govt to re-think this easing of lock down.

That's odd given other studies show dramatically different results, hopeful though.

I see multiple members of SAGE are criticising the government over easing the lockdown and opening schools.
Wales want to bring the summer holiday forward and then start schools in August.

Unions have rightly pointed out that this would result in a 20 week autumn term and all sorts of contractual and timetabling issues (contracts run to 31st August and new staff can't start until 1st September.

Brexit party are complaining about a union "Diktat" without having the slightest interest in how schools work, because their supporters don't care about practicalities (or other people I would argue). Anyone who has ever worked in a school would be able to tell you what behaviour ends up like once you hit the 7 week mark of a long half term. The children of all ages get exhausted and things decline.

Personally, I just want to be allowed to get on and teach. I am sick of doing everything remotely, not being able to speak to people and recording my voice on lessons rather than actually doing them.

Is it safe? No, it probably isnt. But stats say I have probably a 0.1% chance of dying from it as a 36 year old. The children have even less than that. This is all to protect the boomers, and the evidence I see on the street is they don't want to protect themselves. So let's stop pissing about and get on with it

But nothing from Starmer. Labour need to come out and force the govt to re-think this easing of lock down.
How are they going to force the government to do anything?

Starmer is toeing a clever line on this one. He is attempting from day one to do what Corbyn never even attempted to do; win over Tory voters.

The talk has always been about winning back the red wall. But the best that gets you us back to 260 seats. If he can win over conservative casuals he'll be hitting the marks to bring back the red wall anyway.

So he is being very careful not to do opposition for opposition's sake, nor challenge policies that are popular. Whatever the polls say, people do want things to be opening up and they want to at least pretend this can be put behind them. What people don't want is more depressing Guardian Journalists taking about "the new normal".

If he opposed easing the lockdown he'll be labeled as the leader and party that wants to keep us all locked away; that wants to destroy the economy; that wants to keep people out of work, and that did nothing but obstruct a government doing its best in a crisis.

Already today I have seen a guy I know, who has lost both his father and daughter to this, sharing a post demanding that people show sympathy for Johnson and his "burden". My family don't get much more working class and they all sympathise with Johnson. Being the smarmy lawyer that goes against that isn't going to win back any red walls; it will entrench anti labour attitudes that have been allowed to build over 10 years or more.

And besides; why does Starmer need to risk opposing the lockdown when the scientists are doing it for him?

Wales want to bring the summer holiday forward and then start schools in August.

Unions have rightly pointed out that this would result in a 20 week autumn term and all sorts of contractual and timetabling issues (contracts run to 31st August and new staff can't start until 1st September.

Brexit party are complaining about a union "Diktat" without having the slightest interest in how schools work, because their supporters don't care about practicalities (or other people I would argue). Anyone who has ever worked in a school would be able to tell you what behaviour ends up like once you hit the 7 week mark of a long half term. The children of all ages get exhausted and things decline.

Personally, I just want to be allowed to get on and teach. I am sick of doing everything remotely, not being able to speak to people and recording my voice on lessons rather than actually doing them.

Is it safe? No, it probably isnt. But stats say I have probably a 0.1% chance of dying from it as a 36 year old. The children have even less than that. This is all to protect the boomers, and the evidence I see on the street is they don't want to protect themselves. So let's stop pissing about and get on with it
Whilst you're at a low percentage of catching Covid. What about you spreading it? What about others who are more at risk? What about your family?

This Tory govt hasn't got anything right yet!
They didn't prepare
They shut down too late
Left the pubs open
Johnson and his herd immunity
Taking it on the chin
Catching it
Spreading it
Sending people without the required PPE
Care homes
Mixed messages

So many F@ck ups and now they've decided to ignore medical advice and relax the lock down. While other countries are having difficulties with schools opening.

Whilst you're at a low percentage of catching Covid. What about you spreading it? What about others who are more at risk? What about your family?

This Tory govt hasn't got anything right yet!
They didn't prepare
They shut down too late
Left the pubs open
Johnson and his herd immunity
Taking it on the chin
Catching it
Spreading it
Sending people without the required PPE
Care homes
Mixed messages

So many F@ck ups and now they've decided to ignore medical advice and relax the lock down. While other countries are having difficulties with schools opening.
You raise very good points.

But we are at a point where I would rather take the COVID risk than go through the hatred and national vilification of my profession (and then the decade or so of financial penalties the Tories will be able to get away with because of it) that would result from resisting.

How are they going to force the government to do anything?

Starmer is toeing a clever line on this one. He is attempting from day one to do what Corbyn never even attempted to do; win over Tory voters.

The talk has always been about winning back the red wall. But the best that gets you us back to 260 seats. If he can win over conservative casuals he'll be hitting the marks to bring back the red wall anyway.

So he is being very careful not to do opposition for opposition's sake, nor challenge policies that are popular. Whatever the polls say, people do want things to be opening up and they want to at least pretend this can be put behind them. What people don't want is more depressing Guardian Journalists taking about "the new normal".

If he opposed easing the lockdown he'll be labeled as the leader and party that wants to keep us all locked away; that wants to destroy the economy; that wants to keep people out of work, and that did nothing but obstruct a government doing its best in a crisis.

Already today I have seen a guy I know, who has lost both his father and daughter to this, sharing a post demanding that people show sympathy for Johnson and his "burden". My family don't get much more working class and they all sympathise with Johnson. Being the smarmy lawyer that goes against that isn't going to win back any red walls; it will entrench anti labour attitudes that have been allowed to build over 10 years or more.

And besides; why does Starmer need to risk opposing the lockdown when the scientists are doing it for him?
This isn't a game.

This isn't a game.
of course it is. Not understanding that was Corbyn's failure. He was arrogant enough to believe he could change 300 years of politics, and then when he slipped into the same patterns as all the rest he was just rubbish at it.

You don't expend good will and political capital unless it is going to do some good.

Opposing the lockdown will do huge damage to the Labour image he is rebuilding and won't delay the easing by a single day

You raise very good points.

But we are at a point where I would rather take the COVID risk than go through the hatred and national vilification of my profession (and then the decade or so of financial penalties the Tories will be able to get away with because of it) that would result from resisting.
I understand that.

Teachers can't win either way for all the bullshit that's spoken about them.
I just worry of a 2nd peak.

The hand Corbyn has left Starmer with is incredibly weak. How exactly do you think he can force the government to do anything given the huge majority Johnson won?

His strategy is sound, keep being the intelligent competent alternative to the butcher. Why on earth should he try to fight Johnson on his terms when he will obviously lose?

Johnson wants an enemy he can rally the gammons against, Corbyn was a dream for the Tory strategy. Kier is far brighter and less arrogant than Corbyn.

The left wing press

Plus the Daily Mail
The Daily Star
100 Tory MPs, including Theresa May

And thousands of voters contacting their MPs for the first time.

And you think this twaddle makes you somehow enlightened and 'woke'.

Trouble with most folk on here is their lack of honesty and perpetual politicising of every event . 😇

The hand Corbyn has left Starmer with is incredibly weak. How exactly do you think he can force the government to do anything given the huge majority Johnson won?

His strategy is sound, keep being the intelligent competent alternative to the butcher. Why on earth should he try to fight Johnson on his terms when he will obviously lose?

Johnson wants an enemy he can rally the gammons against, Corbyn was a dream for the Tory strategy. Kier is far brighter and less arrogant than Corbyn.
I don't think Corbyn was arrogant.
Labour should be protecting the workers. I wasn't saying that Starmer should force a vote through Parliament. I Just want to hear him say listen to the experts. The Tories have changed the goalposts with their tests. The R is rising again. And we've proof that schools re-opening in other countries are having to close.

Most people have elderly people and those more at rick of dying from Covid in their family. Many different generations living in the same household.

I am one of those who are more at risk. It's killing me to keep my two children off school. We made the decision to lock down before the govt. I've not been outside since. Am I selfish for keeping them off school?

You'd be surprised to know that I'm anti Tory!!
Am I not sending them back because of that? I don't think so... I think I'm going with the evidence that we've at the moment.

Trouble with most folk on here is their lack of honesty and perpetual politicising of every event . 😇
If you are really, truly honest you will admit that his entire story is a crock of shit, the guidline designed for domestic abuse victims doesn't give him carte blanche to drive 260 miles and he's taking us all for fools.

If you are really, truly honest you will admit that his entire story is a crock of shit, the guidline designed for domestic abuse victims doesn't give him carte blanche to drive 260 miles and he's taking us all for fools.

I am being honest that this whole saga is being driven / fuelled by MSM who dislike DC .
I agree his reasoning is totally flawed and full of holes but has he done anything worse than thousands of others ?? No he hasn't .
Virtually every editor within MSM be it TV or Press have a left wing ex labour party activist at that helm . That is fact .
Unlike the pull a number out the air about Tory MP's upset with DC .

I am being honest that this whole saga is being driven / fuelled by MSM who dislike DC .
I agree his reasoning is totally flawed and full of holes but has he done anything worse than thousands of others ?? No he hasn't .
Virtually every editor within MSM be it TV or Press have a left wing ex labour party activist at that helm . That is fact .
Unlike the pull a number out the air about Tory MP's upset with DC .
It's not a number pulled out if the air. 100 Tory MPs have criticised his actions to their constituents and I think 41 have directly called for him to resign. Look it up yourself. Theresa May's letter was published yesterday.

I wasn't aware that the Daily Mail had an ex Labour activist at the helm. I think Geordie Grieg will be very surprised to hear that.

With this MSM bollocks you are just parroting Trump. You are making an enemy of journalists, who ultimately are there for the governed, not the governor's. You are listing to pricks like Trump and Johnson who don't like to be questioned and swallowing their crap that the media are your enemy. They are not. Shutting down arguments and instantly dismissing opinions you don't like doesn't make you right.