Corona Virus - What happens to football? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Corona Virus - What happens to football?

Byram. I wonder if front line NHS staff who do get paid small wages and do not get 2 tests a week and actually mix all day with Covid 19 patients and not get constant monitoring during each work day are worried about loved ones ?

Burnley captain Ben Mee believes footballers can "get over" playing at neutral venues if it means fans get a "boost" from the sport resuming play during the coronavirus pandemic.

He must be living in a different world to fans.
What sort of boost would a fan get out of a game they cannot watch played at a ground miles away from the home venue ?

It cannot be justified on medical grounds that one footballer should get a test result before any frontline worker. Will players who refuse to play be ordered to and will the first corporate manslaughter charge be worth the loss of life.

Excellent article Tuckster and I agree with it all.

The entire situation in Britain has not been handled well and I am not a Tory but these people are only human with a salary of about 2 weeks wages for a premier league footballer.
What do we expect them to do ?

You are correct about people from Britain being different to most other countries and that is why we are eventually pulling out of Europe but this does not assist us in the current battle.
There are idiots everywhere around the world but in Britain there are so many things to deal with when trying to enforce a lock down. The media make things so much worse. They home in on the smallest one off incident regarding policing rather than look at a way of getting the country together and trying to adhere to the rules to help everyone of us.
It is pathetic how they are so desperate to get a story ahead of the official lock down restrictions.
Like Tuckster I have nothing but despair for tabloids, their so called journalists and readers who actually read and believe their ‘ stories ‘.

Anyway back to football. The leagues have to be abandoned as there is no fair way of finishing season or adapting the current tables.
As a Norwich fan would I be saying this a year ago ? Yes I would. Since when does a country known for fair play and compassion put greediness and a sport above human lives.

Our family has several key NHS workers and how do you think they feel when the greediness of the premier league and obscenely paid footballers are even considered to have priority over testing and results so they can make more money whilst British people die every day.

We all knew that the Premier league was obsessed with greed but seeing the thinly veiled disguise
of putting money above peoples lives is a disgrace.
After 50 years I am now falling out of love with football.

Excellent post Tucks and it makes me so angry that this greed is going to take precedence over the safety of us , and in the meantime show disrespect to the NHS staff , and utter disrespect to the 32,000 who have already died . Money talks , and it’s is absolutely corrupting . Like DG I am beginning to detest football and it’s selfish greed and when life returns to normal I may well give it up and go to watch my other passion ...stock car racing

I now prefer cricket and would rather spend my money on a trip to West Indies in 2022 if it is still possible to play.

Last edited:
Just finished listening to TMS commentary of day 3 to second Ashes test
at Edgbaston in 2005, in its entirety which is great for cricket fans. My point however is that when nearing end of the third day and England needing just 3 wickets to win there was an option for an extra 30 minutes that day in an attempt to get those wickets and England took it. ( although they only got 1 ).
The commentators said why wouldn't they take it as crowd was revved up to maximum and they would be a major factor in continuing England's pressure.

The crowd do play a part and can push teams on. I have also watched the full
Norwich games on u tube with great wins over millwall and draws with forest
and boro. Can anybody tell me that the team would have been spurred on to get those late goals and 5 points at a neutral stadium with zero fans present ?

So it is just not football but all sport where the crowd play a part in the teams / players performance to obtain results.

We were supposed to play Burnley today. What if we needed to win to have a chance of staying up ?
Normal scenario. Hot day and Carrow Road full with virtually all home fans and a sea of green and yellow. Great atmosphere with fans roaring us on.
Covid scenario. Most important game of season. Neutral ground ( maybe closer
to Burnley than us ) without any supporters. No atmosphere and totally changing our chances of winning towards the opposition.

This just must not be allowed to happen.
Smiffs. FFS have a professional but emotional response to this suggestion and make it clear that the neutral ground option will be voted against.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Very good points DG . And to emphasise it even more , would we have beaten Man City at home without the fans who urged us on to a win wildly cheering every tackle ?

It really is, so obvious isn't it YB. Had we have played that game, that day at a neutral ground without fans, we would not and could not have beaten Man City. Fair play must be seen to favour the finance fraudsters.

Just finished listening to TSM commentary of day 3 to second Ashes test
at Edgbaston in 2005, in its entirety which is great for cricket fans. My point however is that when nearing end of the third day and England needing just 3 wickets to win there was an option for an extra 30 minutes that day in an attempt to get those wickets and England took it. ( although they only got 1 ).
The commentators said why wouldn't they take it as crowd was revved up to maximum and they would be a major factor in continuing England's pressure.

The crowd do play a part and can push teams on. I have also watched the full
Norwich games on u tube with great wins over millwall and draws with forest
and boro. Can anybody tell me that the team would have been spurred on to get those late goals and 5 points at a neutral stadium with zero fans present ?

So it is just not football but all sport where the crowd play a part in the teams / players performance to obtain results.

We were supposed to play Burnley today. What if we needed to win to have a chance of staying up ?
Normal scenario. Hot day and Carrow Road full with virtually all home fans and a sea of green and yellow. Great atmosphere with fans roaring us on.
Covid scenario. Most important game of season. Neutral ground ( maybe closer
to Burnley than us ) without any supporters. No atmosphere and totally changing our chances of winning towards the opposition.

This just must not be allowed to happen.
Smiffs. FFS have a professional but emotional response to this suggestion and make it clear that the neutral ground option will be voted against.
Great piece, DG. Hope you don’t mind but I’ve padded it out a little and posted it on the front page. Excellent 👏👏👏