COBRA | Page 2 | Vital Football

COBRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 90,000 infections, but 77,000 in China and over 3,000 in South Korea that leaves around 10,000 in the rest of the world. With a mortality rate of around 3% that is 300 deaths a year or the same number of people in the US who die from falling off a ladder or the same number of people killed in the UK from faulty medical equipment.

The only problem with that is if it continues to spread or spreads without bound and many millions become infected. 3% then becomes a tad more noticeable...

The only problem with that is if it continues to spread or spreads without bound and many millions become infected. 3% then becomes a tad more noticeable...

True. Spanish flu (1918-1920) had a mortality rate of 2-3% and supposedly killed well over 30 million people (about 1.7% of the world population at the time), having infected around 1/3rd of the world population. The related swine flu pandemic of 2009 infected more people in absolute terms (estimates seem to range between 700m - 1.4bn), but with a mortality rate of under 0.1% it killed under half a million.

Medical progress and improved disease control are likely to mean that the very high deaths rates of previous centuries will not be repeated (especially in developed countries).

Odds are still very high that any particular individual in the UK will not die from it.

Maybe not quite so with our government of the people and the 40 new hosptials 20,000 doctors and 50,000 nurses...
Probably safer in China...
The testing kits costs people $3000 a time in the states...

On an average day, 175,000 people die in the world.

So far Coronavirus has killed 3,000 worldwide this year.

This couldn't possibly be an overreaction by the media could it?

175,000 people dying a day doesn't wipe billions off the NYSE, there's the real crisis (from their perspective) for those in charge...

I tend to agree with you , perhaps they should change numbers to percentages of the population . IMO puts it more into context .

I'm not saying it not serious , but i do think some over reaction is there . And i'm nearly 70 and have and underlying illness . Life continues as normal ...............

Well if the entire planet caught the virus, and at a mortality rate of 3%, then that's heading to around 200 million deaths.
And in the poorer, under-nourished and lesser healthcare zones, the mortality rate would be expected to be quite a bit higher, so could be over 300 million deaths in time.

It will all depend on a basic race between the virus spreading unabated vs a vaccine getting developed (and massed produced).

Not especially relevant but with Cheltenham races scheduled for next week it might be worth noting that the French meetings at Compiegne and Chantilly this week are being held behind closed doors i.e. media and those involved only in attendance.

If it bleeds it leads.
If it burns it earns.
The Media motto.

What about over here, is it just ring 111, get referred, 2 swabs (mouth and nose) and wait a few days rather like a blood test. Is that it David, you will know if anyone does.
Believe so and the results are available 3 days later maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.