Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm | Page 4 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm

Semi mistake v Watford.

The other 2 are moot points . Certainly the Brentford one is , no question , that kind of thing hasn't been allowed since 1971 , and the laws state that the goalkeeper is in control of the ball even whilst its in the air like it was.
That’s very generous. I love the guy, but Emi could (and perhaps) should have been sent off for that challenge on Wilson.

I was worried with the Brentford one myself. Yes it should have been disallowed and was, but I view that as similar to the Mings/Oilchester offside debacle last year. The lack of awareness forced the official to make a decision. Fortunately it was the right one this time, but could have cost us.

He was so good last year that Emi has probably earned our generosity, but i’d be disappointed if those two things weren’t at least mentioned by coaching staff.

Last edited:
Re Brentford , I am amazed at the number of people who seemingly don't know the rules .

I was immediately calling for the player to be booked, not sure what the fuss was all about.
I always thought it was rugby that people watched but don't know the rules

PS perhaps its time to try an Ernie Hunt freekick

I'm amazed at the amount of people rushing to defend Martinez after a shaky start to the season and now putting country before club.
He is NOT above criticism . Needs to get his shit together as he hasn't this season so far.

To be fair to Emi, the things he's being criticised for aren't mistakes in most peoples eyes. His only real error is taking Wilson out against Newcastle, but it was offside anyway so no harm done.

Slightly mad to somehow raise question-marks over the keeper for that silly disallowed Brentford “goal”. Even little kids in the playground know you can’t kick the ball out of the keepers hands or whilst the keeper is kicking it out of his own hands. I don’t know specifically if it is a bookable offence but certainly he should have been booked solely for his own stupidity if he thought that was something he could do. In my eyes it should be as it’s a deliberate foul and unsporting behaviour. It’s like that African player in the World Cup a few decades ago who didn’t understand the free kick to the opposition team.

Chelsea is a big test for us, if we come out with a point I'll be "over the moon" if we get tonked 5-0 I'll be very worried. We need to at least have a go

Chelsea is a big test for us, if we come out with a point I'll be "over the moon" if we get tonked 5-0 I'll be very worried. We need to at least have a go
when we went there last season we were flying and they were wobbling. Will be much harder this time especially if we are without the likes of Mings and Konsa Martinez and Buendia

Konsa blocked the first Watford shot and the rebound luckily fell straight to the same bloke . It did go under Emi's body but I think he was slightly off balance having set himself for the original shot.

Yes but don’t forget he was also at fault for the great strike from Hernandez Suarez in the second half. You know, the one that flew into the top corner….slow to react to that one as well apparently if memory serves me right…! :bs:

I'm amazed at the amount of people rushing to defend Martinez after a shaky start to the season and now putting country before club.
He is NOT above criticism . Needs to get his shit together as he hasn't this season so far.

Probably because he showed us last season what a terrific keeper he is most weeks, playing a major role in keeping 15 clean sheets, third only to Man City and Chelsea. As a result the majority of fans probably don’t see the need, 3 games in to refer to him having to get ‘his shit together’. He’s human, he’ll make errors. Of course no player is above criticism but in the context of what he’s done since arriving, a couple of dodgy moments three games in is I think no big deal for most supporters.

It’s a strange one that’s for sure letting the Emi twins go off knowing we are going to lose them not just for the Chelsea game but the Everton game also, we’ve had a poor start against 3 poor teams, and at the end of the next 4 games we could be playing catch up for the rest of the season.

Its a dangerous game for the club and Smith to play.

** I’ve found out now they only miss the Chelsea game, which I don’t think we’d win even with them, but again it’s a game of football so you never know.

Last edited:
The problem here is, that we want talented South American’s to play for us. We have three excellent international players for Brazil and Argentina respectively, but we have to accept that they have a different perspective on internationals and tournaments than we do.

I’ve got to an age where I couldn’t care if England won or lost, whereas the Brazil national team team turn up to the Olympics with the strongest squad possible. Someone posted on here the other week, Argentinians are very passionate about playing for their country, and we almost have to accept that as much as we do having Africans who depart in the new year for the AFCON.

nope we should not be accepting that some of the team can just ignore club instructions if they are 'passionate'.
I don't imagine that Purslow or the owners particularly take well their instructions being ignored and hopefully they'll do something about it.

think the next set of fixtures are in about 4 weeks time so they'll be off again then I guess

If we run scared about this run of games we'd be better off in the Championship. Playing "difficult" games is what the PL is about. We did OK against some of the "top" teams last season; don't see why this season is any more difficult. Why has Chelsea suddenly become "impossible" when we beat them last time out?

nope we should not be accepting that some of the team can just ignore club instructions if they are 'passionate'.
I don't imagine that Purslow or the owners particularly take well their instructions being ignored and hopefully they'll do something about it.

think the next set of fixtures are in about 4 weeks time so they'll be off again then I guess

We can't stop them going though. Once called up we are duty bound to release them.