Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm

We need to evolve our play to accommodate Ings and Watkins. I really do not see Ings playing a support role, he is deadly in the box and that's where you want him post of the time and minimise his work outside of the box.

Spare a thought for Jed Steer on a hiding to nothing. Buendia makes no odds but Martinez is the difference between a possible point and a thrashing.
Much as I hate Chelsea they are going to win the league this season

We need to evolve our play to accommodate Ings and Watkins. I really do not see Ings playing a support role, he is deadly in the box and that's where you want him post of the time and minimise his work outside of the box.
Yes Ings is the finisher Watkins is the workhorse, if we have a front 3 Watkins needs to be wider.

Spare a thought for Jed Steer on a hiding to nothing. Buendia makes no odds but Martinez is the difference between a possible point and a thrashing.
Much as I hate Chelsea they are going to win the league this season
Whilst I agree with this Martinez hasn't had a good start to the season at all IMO.

I thought I read Emi1 and Emi2 will miss this game as they are travelling for international duty and will have to isolate. However someone can correct me if I am wrong

No. You are right . They just miss one game though and not 3 as was being touted originally.

Whilst I agree with this Martinez hasn't had a good start to the season at all IMO.
Blinding season last time out, and yes we all assume he's suddenly turned from Arsenal back up to world-class in 12 months. I want to shut these thoughts from my head that he might revert to mere mortal again.

No chance is this getting past STH’s with a ridiculous amount of away ticket history (but fair play they deserve it). Hoping the cup game we get a huge allocation though and have more chance of winning

Although the criteria for the first allocation is quite low at 8 games. Watford was 14.

And we need to supply him. Which in 3 games we haven't. A pen and a worldie of his own making. Be an absolute scandal if we don't get goals out of Ings.

We have history of it with 'guaranteed' goal strikers. It does concern me.

I thought I read Emi1 and Emi2 will miss this game as they are travelling for international duty and will have to isolate. However someone can correct me if I am wrong
Ah fuck, you're right.

Jed for Emi1 and Nakamba for Emi2 and have McGinn play the more attacking role.

Ah but we're screwed aren't we?

And we need to supply him. Which in 3 games we haven't. A pen and a worldie of his own making. Be an absolute scandal if we don't get goals out of Ings.

We certainly need to avoid a Darren Bent situation. We signed him at the peak of powers, he was an excellent poacher but we had a manager intent on lumping it down to him rather than playing to his strengths.

I imagine the owners are acutely aware of this and if Smith can't get this lot playing optimally then they will (try) to find someone who will. That's quite a way of at this stage though IMO.

Ings likes to wander in centrally from the outside and Watkins likes to stretch play down the channels from the centre. They can absolutely play together.

Yes in two home games we've hardly had a shot on target a Pen and two worldie goals and very little else.
Ings and Ollie make great runs but we just don't seem to have passers willing to take that risk, always sideward to the nearest player. If we are going to play keep ball we need to find a player to thread that pass. This is where the new Messi is supposed to be so good I believe

Well Ollie looked sharp when he came on. Linked up well with Ings at the end when we broke from their corner and had 2 chances of his own. I can see a front 3 of Bailey Ings and Watkins with Buendia floating behind them being dangerous enough . They all need to get up to speed first though.

Yes in two home games we've hardly had a shot on target a Pen and two worldie goals and very little else.
Ings and Ollie make great runs but we just don't seem to have passers willing to take that risk, always sideward to the nearest player. If we are going to play keep ball we need to find a player to thread that pass. This is where the new Messi is supposed to be so good I believe
Tbf to Buendia he's come into a new side, a new league, with an interrupted pre season and a niggly injury, but he's shown his vision and his skill already. Just needs his sharpness and to "learn" Ings and Ollie.

Tbf to Buendia he's come into a new side, a new league, with an interrupted pre season and a niggly injury, but he's shown his vision and his skill already. Just needs his sharpness and to "learn" Ings and Ollie.
My main concern is where does he play, I was ridiculed last week for saying he wasn't a right-winger, I think it was pretty clear against Brentford he isn't a right-winger. He seems to score and do all his best stuff in the D on the edge of the box? He started out on the right but then leaves a giant hole as he always looks to get into the 8 or 10 roles. His position needs sorting and once Bailey is fit it needs to be soon