Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm | Page 3 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm

Spare a thought for Jed Steer on a hiding to nothing. Buendia makes no odds but Martinez is the difference between a possible point and a thrashing.
Much as I hate Chelsea they are going to win the league this season
I hope that they do - anyone other than Abu Dhabi FC

Spare a thought for Jed Steer on a hiding to nothing. Buendia makes no odds but Martinez is the difference between a possible point and a thrashing.
Much as I hate Chelsea they are going to win the league this season
Martinez has had a very shaky start to the season so i'm not that bothered that Steer is getting a game in his place

I'd rather a shaky Martinez over Steer any day but it's valid to say that Martinez hasn't had the best start.

Steer is an OK keeper and is happy to come in as and when needed. He’s not tall nor is he the greatest shot stopper, but the biggest difference we’ll see when we play Chelsea is how comfortable and controlling Martinez is on the ball whilst Steer - who isn’t anywhere near as confident - will more often punt it upfield for the ball to just come back again that little bit quicker.

Steer is an OK keeper and is happy to come in as and when needed. He’s not tall nor is he the greatest shot stopper, but the biggest difference we’ll see when we play Chelsea is how comfortable and controlling Martinez is on the ball whilst Steer - who isn’t anywhere near as confident - will more often punt it upfield for the ball to just come back again that little bit quicker.

I'm quite shocked we've gone from Steer not being good enough hence us signing Emi to him being the backup, which means that at any given time he could suddenly be our no1 keeper for the rest of the season.

I'm quite shocked we've gone from Steer not being good enough hence us signing Emi to him being the backup, which means that at any given time he could suddenly be our no1 keeper for the rest of the season.

I agree, “OK” isn’t good enough for this league. I did think we needed a better backup, someone like a Ben Foster or of that quality and level.

does seem mad we let Heaton go and not bother replacing, in a sense there is no competition for Martinez's place which is wrong

Blimey , one semi mistake and he is out of form. Joe Root played and missed last week so he must be out of form as well.
at fault for 1st watford goal
very lucky to not get a red v Newcastle
very lucky with the disallowed goal v Brentford (he was not in control of the ball and was aware of who was around him)

very lucky with the disallowed goal v Brentford (he was not in control of the ball and was aware of who was around him)

Two of those were ruled out by preceding violations, one being offside and one being a foul. Now, the offside was fucking lucky and if it had been the other way around I would’ve been raging.

There’s more to it than shot stopping with a keeper. A top keeper can give calmness and trust. The four at the back who start will have a different mindset with Jed the stare behind than than Emi, and that will affect where they position themselves and their confidence in playing the ball back. Emi is a huge loss for this game, though in some respects I’d rather him play in the more winnable games to make sure we do indeed win.

Semi mistake v Watford.

The other 2 are moot points . Certainly the Brentford one is , no question , that kind of thing hasn't been allowed since 1971 , and the laws state that the goalkeeper is in control of the ball even whilst its in the air like it was.

Two of those were ruled out by preceding violations, one being offside and one being a foul. Now, the offside was fucking lucky and if it had been the other way around I would’ve been raging.

There’s more to it than shot stopping with a keeper. A top keeper can give calmness and trust. The four at the back who start will have a different mindset with Jed the stare behind than than Emi, and that will affect where they position themselves and their confidence in playing the ball back. Emi is a huge loss for this game, though in some respects I’d rather him play in the more winnable games to make sure we do indeed win.

Glad it's not just me then. I thought we were talking about Nyland from the tone of the post.

I'm not denying he's a top keeper but he's had a shaky start and now jetted off putting country before club. Steer is on a hiding to nothing v Chelsea but the kid has rarely let us down, i hope he has a blinder and gives the manager something to think about.

It was a crazy rush of blood to the head . Very lucky to not give away a pen and get a straight red. Very dangerous play

Why are people still banging on about the disallowed goal against Brentford. It was a foul, I'm amazed anyone who watches football thinks it wasnt.
If it was such a controversial incident it would have been all over skysportsnews and other outlets since the weekend. Pretty sure Brentfords manager would have made a fuss about it as well.
Also think its a bit harsh to blame Emi for the Watford goal. From memory Targett was all over the pace, then when the ball came in Konsa gave their striker all the time and space he wanted.

Why are people still banging on about the disallowed goal against Brentford. It was a foul, I'm amazed anyone who watches football thinks it wasnt.
If it was such a controversial incident it would have been all over skysportsnews and other outlets since the weekend. Pretty sure Brentfords manager would have made a fuss about it as well.
Also think its a bit harsh to blame Emi for the Watford goal. From memory Targett was all over the pace, then when the ball came in Konsa gave their striker all the time and space he wanted.

Konsa blocked the first Watford shot and the rebound luckily fell straight to the same bloke . It did go under Emi's body but I think he was slightly off balance having set himself for the original shot.

Konsa blocked the first Watford shot and the rebound luckily fell straight to the same bloke . It did go under Emi's body but I think he was slightly off balance having set himself for the original shot.

Yeah you're probably right on that, I cant recall him getting 2 bites at it. Just remember thinking at the time Konsa should have been closer to him when the ball came in.