Charlton | Page 3 | Vital Football

Charlton

Two clear penalties not given, a good goal disallowed and then to top it off the prick fell over was behind play and then gave their free kick 10 yards further forward than the foul which they score from.

Saying all that Jones should save that and we’ve had other chances should’ve scored.

A lot better from the boys this week.
when the ref is terrible what can you do.

seeing this as good performance but no points due to bad ref

You can say we are robbed and that's a fair point because this referee has been abysmal. But another mistake cost us a potential point at this rate.

Good performance that and some promising signs. Can't take this season that serious with everything's that going on and just hope we don't go down. Least Barnsley remain without a win in bottom 3 and Bolton lost again.

Absolutely shocking refereeing today. I'm not normally one to blame a ref. They do have a difficult job to do and I'm usually willing to let a few bad decisions go, especially when they are bad decisions that go both ways.

Today though, it was absolutely appalling. Every decision went the same way. Charlton players just hit the deck for free kicks whenever they like, whilst two very strong penalty claims turned down and a perfectly good goal disallowed for us. That's not to mention the niggly trips and pulls that they got away with almost every time but the ref gave them pretty much every time.

Don't mind crap referees that much when they're crap for both sides, but obvious bias makes my blood boil.

Last edited:
Good performance that and some promising signs. Can't take this season that serious with everything's that going on and just hope we don't go down. Least Barnsley remain without a win in bottom 3 and Bolton lost again.
Always positives away from Wigan! Just a shame we play Vs 12 men and let in the softest goals but atleast it was Charlton so im not too pissed off.

I agree the refereeing was terrible but concerning our performance, it looked at best mediocre to me !

They need to do much better than this !

Poor goal to concede. But we deserved at least a point. If we can get an end product out of Viv he can be as big for us at this level as Yanic was. Get the Palmer lad in, in place of Gardner and we could have the makings of a half decent team. Looked much more solid at the back. Liked the look of Tilt

We should have had a point regardless of that Pollock officiating the game. Jones let us down again and he has a habit of doing it, even when he does play well. He has been decent this season but always seems to have that lack of concentration that gives the opposition a gift.

Evans was superb, back to the player we know of him. Clearly the best player on the pitch.

Poor goal to concede. But we deserved at least a point. If we can get an end product out of Viv he can be as big for us at this level as Yanic was. Get the Palmer lad in, in place of Gardner and we could have the makings of a half decent team. Looked much more solid at the back. Liked the look of Tilt

So how good is Palmer then ?

I thought we played pretty well today and deserved at least a draw and probably all three points. That said, our lack of a goal scoring threat is a real worry. Like the look of Tilt. Massey played much better as a right back than a winger and it was good to see Naismith playing further up the pitch. The players are still getting used to each other so I feel we will improve and probably win more games in this league than we lose.

It wasn't a great performance from us, but Charlton considering all their signings really weren't up to much, we absolutely didn't deserve to lose it at all. A combination of another bad mistake from Jones, bad luck and bad officiating on crucial moments gave Chalrton an undeserved win.

Jones costs us too often. No use saving the harder ones if you let in the soft ones in. Surely time to give Owen Evans a chance after that.

Ref was totally in the wrong to disallow Garners goal, looked absolutely fine in both real time and replay - shocking call. I'd need to see the 2 penalty claims back again.

Our lads were charging in clumbsly and giving Charlton players an easy chance to go down and ref was quick to give a free kick. Charlton showed us they were going to play for set pieces and we just kept giving them what they wanted - very naive from us. We've been doing that all season, in some of the other games we've said it's inexperience but the kids weren't on today and we still did it. You're not asking them to stand off, but we've got to be smart enough to to challenge from behind when we can't possibly win the ball or make tackles when there is no threat.

I don't understand why we gave Gardner a contract extension, so far he's looked very poor and he's not got any better. Surley there was a better free or loan we could've used his squad space on, even if there wasn't he's done less than Merrie and Perry so far this season to deserve a start. Thankfully Palmer is coming in.

Massey was slightly better than he has been going forward from full back but defensively looked very suspect, i was amazed Chalrton didn't try and target him as they could've really hurt us. Hopefully Pearce is back and we can avoid asking him to play there again.

Tilt was very good, head and shoulders our best player. Having Garner back certainly helped. Evans looked better than he has in recent games in def mid, but really started to look more like his old self after we went behind and it felt like he started to take more responsibility and dictating the play - that is what he is best at and hopefully with Palmer coming in he will be able to do more of it. Keane showed some nice flashes but he doesn't really seem to be the Kieffer Moore type who can cope with the long balls and needs the ball more on the deck and players running off him. Ostabor and Kal could really do some damage but they are so often taking on 3 players by themselves and crowded out - they need some help in the form of some runners and support to pull men away from them or give them options to slide someone in.

Felt that we aren't really doing ourselves justice. We are not giving ourselves many options on the ball with a lack movement resulting in losing the ball by going long and we haven't got a Moore to make it work. On the ocassions we go up a gear start to up the tempo, show more urgency and commit men forward like we did towards the end we look a much better team. Not sure if the players are showing the opposition too much respect but if that the is the reason they really shouldn't. Need to start games showing the urgency we show after we go behind.

Omar Bogle is still totally shite - even at this level!

We've played about 5 of the likely teams in the promotion hunt this season and they've all been utter shite. We have been in turmoil with a team of cast offs yet if we could cut out costly errors to give away the points we could've proably won all 5. If we could get our takeover done and get our act together there is no reason we couldn't fly up the league but we've got to do better ourselves.

Last edited:
Quite an even game for me, Charlton looking to bed players in as were we. The goal was a mistake from Jones but overall he had a decent game and kept us in it when their forward turned Johnson in the first half.

Johnson and Tilt looked comfortable given it was the first game they had played together. Evans looked better running the show from deeper but Gardner is too loose on the ball and tries the flicks too often losing us possession.

Massey was half decent as a full back but still lacks confidence and pace going forward, maybe he is still trying to get his fitness back and will improve with game time. Solomon-Ottabor drifts in and out but is dangerous in one on one situations when he gets the ball out of his feet.

I thought both Garner and Keane fought well against a couple of decent CB's and won their fare share of the ball without actually creating much. No doubt if they get to play together more they will improve and form an understanding.

We should have been given at least one of the two penalty shouts as Evans had his standing foot whipped away as he was about to shoot. The one with Keane was more debateable but his set up for Garner was never a foul and the assistant ref, who had the better view, obviously thought so. Poor decision by the ref.

Overall a decent performance from yet another makeshift side still looking to find some consistency and getting to know each others games.

Onwards to Tuesday and the visit of Peterborough with at least an improvement on last weeks performance.

Swindon fans say they didn’t see enough of him, but he’s had two promotions out of this league and has experience of the Championship so at 25 I would suggest he is an upgrade on Gardner who is too lightweight and careless in possession from what I have seen so far

The season we went up with Caldwell he was playing at Burton and looked very good.

Since been at Rotherham and Swindon - seems to be regarded well by both sets of fans from what I've seen. Not sure why Swindon are loaning him out rather than using him.

At one point was on loan at Oldham with Sheridan too and apparently did well hence why both looking to work together again.