Chairmans Chat... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

1. We survived as a club and started the season
2. We have the best manager that we have had for a long time
3. With the exception of Graham, we've kept (for now at least) our best players from last season

I certainly agree that it's positive that Evans is sticking around for the battle ahead this season

Sadly I cant see him renewing his contract though. "There is no project" is sadly the truth. I think the project was to turn gillingham into a league one promotion challenger. We look like we are no where near that and moving the wrong way. Why would he sign up to more of the same . To use his words he's better than that.

Next season will be another total rebuild I fear.

I agree with that, he’s likely to have better options.

with regard to rebuilding every season - this is getting more and more common outside of the championship due to the short term contracts (1 or 2 years) clubs can afford to offer.

3s an interesting one. If we get a decent offer for Dempsey should we take it and reinvest in the squad or let him walk for free in the summer ?

Let's make a start here Waldo. Let's list 10 positive things

I'm seriously struggling to find others. Things requiring improvement spring more readily to mind.

I agree with you though let's discuss the positives more. Let's see if this forum can list 10.
I could but they’d be personal to me. Like the ticket system is far easier for me. I like having my season ticket on my phone. I think a smaller programme for £2 is an improvement and I hope they keep producing it.

A lot of complaints strike me as extremely impatient. The club’s trying to open the stadium when there’s a well documented national problem with recruiting staff. Most of the current issues come from that and the Club’s workarounds. If people can’t cut them a bit of slack over that then, I’m sorry, I don’t believe they’ve got the Cub’s interests at heart.

In terms of staff recruitment waldo do you think the pay and conditions at GFC might be contributing to the lack of interest ?

As for the e-ticket I agree with you at a personal level but at a more wider level I don't think the new ticketing systems has been that well received.

I agree with that, he’s likely to have better options.

with regard to rebuilding every season - this is getting more and more common outside of the championship due to the short term contracts (1 or 2 years) clubs can afford to offer.
I’ve been arguing with someone in the Gillsinthebloodtv Facebook page who says that all League 1 clubs get their best players on longer term contracts and Gills, uniquely, don’t. It’s the mind boggling lack of knowledge about our own division that gets on my nerves, particularly when they use it as a basis for criticising the club.

Last edited:
In terms of staff recruitment waldo do you think the pay and conditions at GFC might be contributing to the lack of interest ?

As for the e-ticket I agree with you at a personal level but at a more wider level I don't think the new ticketing systems has been that well received.
Of course pay and conditions might be a factor but then you get people arguing we shouldn’t be trying to get more money into the club by organising g events because “that’s not concentrating on football”. Where’s the money to come from to pay for these higher wages ?

On ticketing, as with any system, it’s the complaints that get the attention rather than the satisfied customers. Satisfied customers don’t tend to make their views known when, in all probability, they are in the majority.

I could but they’d be personal to me. Like the ticket system is far easier for me. I like having my season ticket on my phone. I think a smaller programme for £2 is an improvement and I hope they keep producing it.

A lot of complaints strike me as extremely impatient. The club’s trying to open the stadium when there’s a well documented national problem with recruiting staff. Most of the current issues come from that and the Club’s workarounds. If people can’t cut them a bit of slack over that then, I’m sorry, I don’t believe they’ve got the Cub’s interests at heart.

But we were told by PS that the ship was ready to sail and is now in the best position it's been in for ages. That is clearly bullshit.

He simply cannot provide the finance that is required to take the club forward to match his own ambition.

[QUOTE="markinkent. Let's make a start here Waldo. Let's list 10 positive things

3. We’ve kept hold of Tucker, Oliver and Dempsey (so far). Thought 2 would be gone.
4. We have 2 or 3 very decent looking young loanees that will only improve
5. Big injury list at the moment. Despite that we’ve been competitive and not mullered at all. And we will get bodies back.
6. Should have 2 more players in shortly (hope they are decent).

I’ll leave some for others…

5 - hasn't anyone told you about tempting fate !!!! You are right but we haven't really played any of the big guns yet.

6 - you can have that IF it happens and they make a difference

5 - hasn't anyone told you about tempting fate !!!! You are right but we haven't really played any of the big guns yet.

6 - you can have that IF it happens and they make a difference

Wait, you ask for some positives, I provide some, then you reply by shooting them down? 🤷‍♂️

What’s the point of your question?

. Where’s the money to come from to pay for these higher wages ?

Presumably by selling the products or services they are employed to do. I don't tend to buy food and bev at the ground (other than the factory). I believe the offering is greatly reduced at the moment so I wonder how much this has cost us.

Its a vicious circle and indicates a shrinking business in my view. It would be interesting if any "ex employees" are on this site. What sort of company was it like to work for. I'd be genuinely interested as I only have one persons views and as I said he'd never work for Gills again. Always better to get a wider sample of views.

You might be right on ticketing Waldo but I do know of people who have stopped going due to their difficulties with the new system. The falling attendance at Morecambe won't solely be due to the ticketing systems but we can't afford any reasons to make it harder for people to attend.

3s an interesting one. If we get a decent offer for Dempsey should we take it and reinvest in the squad or let him walk for free in the summer ?

It’s just a pity that offers didn’t come in a lot earlier. I wouldn’t have any issue if Gills sold, for example, Tucker and Dempsey for decent money a month or 2 ago.

That would make perfect sense to keep the books balanced and time enough for SE to pick up decent enough replacements.

But with a week(?) left in the transfer market, it would be tough to replace the m and we’d be a lot worse off.

What would I know 🙄.

Should have kept my mouth shut.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/c...lIsIz5c0qTJJGmNGABj6t-vWKqB3rNKH0sQV8em8fO5sk

Edit - just seen original source is “The Sun”.

Move along, nothing to see here….

If Scally and Evans aren’t happy at the negative Social Media reaction now, I dare them to sell two of our best players to Charlton and see what happens then - not only a team in the same division, which is a slap in the face anyway, but to a local rival who Scally himself has had issues with previously…

It’s just a pity that offers didn’t come in a lot earlier. I wouldn’t have any issue if Gills sold, for example, Tucker and Dempsey for decent money a month or 2 ago.

That would make perfect sense to keep the books balanced and time enough for SE to pick up decent enough replacements.

But with a week(?) left in the transfer market, it would be tough to replace the m and we’d be a lot worse off.

Agreed - maybe we should have put them on the transfer list to see if we could attract a bidding war.

I'd like to see us sell Dempsey (especially for the future "add on" potential), Tucker I'm less worried about as we would still get youth compensation I believe.

Its galling to see your best players walk for nothing. Accepting that same model is the only reason we could sign them in the first place (Ogilve, Dempsey, Oliver, Lee etc. were all "frees" to us).