Bury | Page 17 | Vital Football

Bury

BBC now reporting that Bolton's players have 'refused' to play their last 2 league fixtures unless their March salaries are paid by April 30th.

Interesting if that sets a precedent, although their position and Bury's (on the field at least) are very different.

(Apologies - unable to copy a link to this).

So what happens if Bury do fold? According to Section 3 Part 12 of the EFL rules, it depends on when it happens:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-3---the-league/

Without making anyone read through all of that, the upshot is:

a) Before the end of the regular season:

12.2.1 during any Normal Playing Season, its playing record shall be expunged and the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members;

In other words, if Bury fold before they have completed all 46 games (very unlikely), only one League Two club shall be relegated to the National League and each surviving club would lose the benefit or otherwise of its results against Bury. Although that would not affect Lincoln, it could have an effect on who goes up/makes the play-offs/is relegated.

b) After the end of the regular season but before conclusion of the play-offs:

12.2.2 during the period between the end of the Normal Playing Season and the conclusion of the last Play-Off Match for that Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members;

In other words, if Bury fold after they have completed all 46 games but before the play-off final has been played, only one League Two club shall be relegated to the National League. With the winding-up petition returning to court on 15 May (i.e. in the middle of the play-offs), and considering the £1.6 million shortfall in what they need to survive to the end of May, this looks ominous. This possibility should give a massive lift to Notts County, Yeovil and Macclesfield.

c) After the play-offs are completed:

12.2.3 during the period between the conclusion of the last Play-Off Match and the start of the following Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the Division in which a Club would have played but for its cessation of membership, shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members and, during that Season, the relevant Division shall operate with a reduced number of Clubs.

That is not very well drafted, but I think it means that if Bury are promoted to League One (either automatically or via the play-offs) but then fold after the play-off final but before the start of next season, the team finishing fourth from bottom of League One shall be reprieved from relegation and League Two will operate with 23 clubs next season. If Bury are not promoted and remain in League Two at the time of their demise, the team finishing second from bottom of League Two shall be reprieved and League Two will simply operate as planned. Again, Notts County, Yeovil and Macclesfield will be watching with great interest.

Last edited:
But, if they were committed to reducing costs why didn’t Dale - the businessman apparently there to get their cloth cut according to their 4.5k fans and income in general - get a couple of the saleable assets off the books in January?

No idea.

Other than its been smoke and mirrors and a web of deceit at Gigg Lane.

Last edited:
BBC now reporting that Bolton's players have 'refused' to play their last 2 league fixtures unless their March salaries are paid by April 30th.

Interesting if that sets a precedent, although their position and Bury's (on the field at least) are very different.

(Apologies - unable to copy a link to this).

Can't remember exactly what I heard on the radio today, but the reported said the potential new buyer will invest £12-15 million next year if he takes over. Some idea of what we are up against

Can't remember exactly what I heard on the radio today, but the reported said the potential new buyer will invest £12-15 million next year if he takes over. Some idea of what we are up against

Bolton's finances must be in a ridiculous state by now. And that's only three years after the previous owner agreed to write off over £170,000,000 to allow the current one to run them to the verge of extinction.

The prospective new owner makes the current Bury FC owner look like the very model of sober propriety. He's been bankrupt twice (the last time in June 2014) and folllowing his short stint as Watford owner a Football League independent disciplinary commission of three QCs found him guilty of dishonesty and deception, and banned him from involvement in football for three years.

Nevertheless the FL now declare him able to pass their fit and proper tests.

Bolton's finances must be in a ridiculous state by now. And that's only three years after the previous owner agreed to write off over £170,000,000 to allow the current one to run them to the verge of extinction.

The prospective new owner makes the current Bury FC owner look like the very model of sober propriety. He's been bankrupt twice (the last time in June 2014) and folllowing his short stint as Watford owner a Football League independent disciplinary commission of three QCs found him guilty of dishonesty and deception, and banned him from involvement in football for three years.

Sounds ideal for Bolton!

another basket case in L1 next year, it is going to be last man standing for the top spot at this rate.

At least one Bolton supporter has mentioned to me that they could see them kicked out of the EFL and play non league footie as the worse case scenario.

At least one Bolton supporter has mentioned to me that they could see them kicked out of the EFL and play non league footie as the worse case scenario.

4 time FA Cup Winners with 73 years of top flight football in their past kicked out of the League, now that would be a statement about financial fair play if the EFL had the balls to do it.

Last edited:
Those players are on 8, 10,15 maybe 20k a week. Any who joined last summer knew the score, as it was already in the news about the clubs money troubles. Biggest outlay being players greedy wages. Yet with 2 games to go they would take action that is likely to force the club into extinction. I think they've earn't enough already and should have done the decent thing and seen out the season.
You wouldn't want any of them along side you in the trenches.
They can't replay the game, so I guess Brentford get a 3-0 victory, unless the club completely fold before the end of the season.

I haven't been following this too closely. Assuming Bolton start next season in the EFL will they start with a points deduction?

Those players are on 8, 10,15 maybe 20k a week. Any who joined last summer knew the score, as it was already in the news about the clubs money troubles. Biggest outlay being players greedy wages. Yet with 2 games to go they would take action that is likely to force the club into extinction. I think they've earn't enough already and should have done the decent thing and seen out the season.
You wouldn't want any of them along side you in the trenches.
They can't replay the game, so I guess Brentford get a 3-0 victory, unless the club completely fold before the end of the season.

I get your point, but would you do your job for a couple of months without getting paid? They've already played a few games (I think) without getting paid, how long can that last? What were the board expecting when they set thier budgets, it doesn't seem that under any circumstances, other than maybe promotion, they would be able afford the wages throughout the year. You can't blame the players for the wages they've been offered. This is the risk you run for trying to gain promotion.

I get your point, but would you do your job for a couple of months without getting paid? They've already played a few games (I think) without getting paid, how long can that last? What were the board expecting when they set thier budgets, it doesn't seem that under any circumstances, other than maybe promotion, they would be able afford the wages throughout the year. You can't blame the players for the wages they've been offered. This is the risk you run for trying to gain promotion.
The owners have done a runner, by the sounds of it. Now the players have done a runner as well.
From a footballer point of view, these players weren't up to it this season. The club are going to get heavily punished for not playing the last 2 games, even if they manage to survive. Points deduction next season, or demoted to Div 2? Yeh well done everybody.

What is it about Lancashire clubs? Blackpool, Bury, Bolton, Oldham...all with finances straight from an accountant's nightmare. Is it the proximity of the Manchester clubs? Do they all have delusions of grandeur and see themselves as big clubs, overspending accordingly? I realise football is in a bit of a state generally, but there seems to be a concentration of them in that area. Ironically, the best run club of them all is the one with the smallest budget - Accrington.