Brighton & Hove Albion-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Brighton & Hove Albion-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

21:30
'Next question'
FT: Brighton 3-2 Man City

Pep Guardiola has been asked in his news conference if he is going to sign Harry Kane in the summer.

His response?

"Next question. He's a Tottenham Hotspur player. Please!."

'We'll lift the Premier League trophy and prepare for the UCL final'
Pep on the Champions League final and momentum:

"We’re the champions. In four or five days we lift the trophy and prepare for the final.

"I am concerned because it’s a Champions League final and the opponent is so tough.

"To play 80 minutes v 11 especially against Brighton with high pressing and defending, it’s always difficult.

"We knew it but we will react quite well. We know these kinds of years we did it ourselves, nobody gave us anything. I am so proud of the team, the Premier League is so difficult, we will prepare as best as possible for the final.

"I am concerned about trying to win but you can’t imagine how happy we are to play this game."

21:31
'We'll see tomorrow how Gundogan is'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport: "Congratulations to Brighton and their fans. I didn't see the red card but the nicest thing we have done together is win it [Premier League] on the pitch."

On Phil Foden's goal: "What a goal. It was so good. But we gave them a goal back very soon afterwards."

On the red card: "I'm not a referee. I cannot comment."

On his disagreement with Graham Potter at full-time: "What I say to him is personal. Not here."

On Ilkay Gundogan's injury: "He got a kick in the first half on his knee. We'll see tomorrow how he feels. He didn't run properly and we decided to make a sub."

21:35
'I apologise to Pep'

Brighton boss Graham Potter speaking to BBC Sport about his disagreement with Pep Guardiola: "He was disappointed with me. I was over emotional with our first goal celebration. It wasn't good from me. I apologise. It was just emotion."

21:31
'We'll see tomorrow how Gundogan is'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport: "Congratulations to Brighton and their fans. I didn't see the red card but the nicest thing we have done together is win it [Premier League] on the pitch."

On Phil Foden's goal: "What a goal. It was so good. But we gave them a goal back very soon afterwards."

On the red card: "I'm not a referee. I cannot comment."

On his disagreement with Graham Potter at full-time: "What I say to him is personal. Not here."

On Ilkay Gundogan's injury: "He got a kick in the first half on his knee. We'll see tomorrow how he feels. He didn't run properly and we decided to make a sub."
Pep has learnt not to rise to their bait

If that isn’t a blatant foul on Gabby I don’t know what is. Atwell looking right at it. The Brighton player swings around and deliberately catches Gabby.......WTF

Atwell goes to put his whistle to his mouth then signals play on when the ball broke to a Brighton player, what did he think he saw?

Reminiscent of Anthony Taylor when Luiz took Aguero out a few years back, utterly baffling.

Given how BT Sport commentated on this game we know exactly how they will behave on 29th May. I may have to switch the sound off and listen to the commentary on the OS because after this biased garbage tonight I might actually throw up.

I wonder if this game had been played behind closed doors, it would have made a big difference to SFA’s performance.

Atwell goes to put his whistle to his mouth then signals play on when the ball broke to a Brighton player, what did he think he saw?

Reminiscent of Anthony Taylor when Luiz took Aguero out a few years back, utterly baffling.
It was worse when I saw it again on that clip. The Brighton player has lost the challenge, sees Gabby will get away and he is out of position and he swings his leg around tripping Gabby. The similarity with AFT in the Chelsea game is well made.

Pep's verdict...👇
Pep on the Joao Cancelo red card:

"I didn’t watch it. I didn’t watch the action from Gundo. I watched it but didn’t see it.

"We have to be more careful and finish games 11 v11. 11v 10 v Brighton is difficult. We have to improve for the final, always we have to finish with 11.

"We have to try to do it."
A master at work. Bigger fish to fry than this minnow.

I wonder if this game had been played behind closed doors, it would have made a big difference to SFA’s performance.
I think the return of the crowd made a difference to several decisions - the sending off; the yellow (not red) card for the foul on Gundogan etc.

What i don’t understand is why VAR didn’t look closely at the winning goal. It looked offside and if it was close then VAR would have had the lines out. Not tonight. Just like the Salah goal a few years back.

I think the return of the crowd made a difference to several decisions - the sending off; the yellow (not red) card for the foul on Gundogan etc.

What i don’t understand is why VAR didn’t look closely at the winning goal. It looked offside and if it was close then VAR would have had the lines out. Not tonight. Just like the Salah goal a few years back.
Throwing a bone to a hanger on is all that makes sense.

I'm still amazed the challenge on Gundo wasn't discussed AT ALL on the BT Sport after match summary.

Stand to be corrected (I did mute it for a few minutes, but didn't see any vision).