Brexit rolls on... | Page 44 | Vital Football

Brexit rolls on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said that if someone finishes University and ends up on minimum wage they have done something wrong. That is a statement of opinion not fact. And it is callous at best.

You have deliberately avoided the point that has been made by a few people about house prices as a comparison but rather than follow your lead I will answer to say that if someone is on £18k per annum they are on approximately £1200 per month after stoppages at a rough guess.

It then depends how much they have to pay for rent, bills, travel etc as to whether they can afford to put away a third of their net income.

There is no should about it as it is all situational so you can make as many blanket statements as you like, it will not cover everyone and I can only say fair play to those who do manage to get on the ladder in current circumstances.

I never said anything about EVERYONE. I said IF SOMEONE LIVES AT HOME (ie with parents) they SHOULD be able to save £5k. I did NOT SAY anything about if they rented, so that's all irrelevant. Minimum wage based on 37.5 hours a week produces a nett income of over £15k. £5K saving leaves them £10 K a year to live on/make a contribution to parents costs. As I said in the first place that should be doable.

Nothing to do with the above, as I was talking about people living at home, but if someone goes to Uni they might need to take a short term minimum wage job. If they find themselves on minimum wage long term, they have almost certainly made the wrong choice.

Last edited:
Except of course, you don't pay rent if you live at home! Minimum wage is now in excess of £18k before tax on a 40 hour week. Pretty poor if you can't make a contribution to a household and still save £5k. As I've already said people used to live at home with parents. Both of my kids went from living here to buying a home. Of course if people choose to leave home and pay rent, that's generally a life choice, though a smaller number of people have these things forced on them for other reasons.

Yes if only everyone was like you we would live in a paradise. I paid rent as soon as i was earning to my folks cause they needed the money. I have also rented as i needed to move to earn more money.

If you get that football needs a plan b (and c), i dont get why you dont get that life also needs a plan a thru z cos not everyone is the same?

You said that if someone finishes University and ends up on minimum wage they have done something wrong.

Rather a big difference between "done something wrong " and made "the wrong choice, which is what I said

Yes if only everyone was like you we would live in a paradise. I paid rent as soon as i was earning to my folks cause they needed the money. I have also rented as i needed to move to earn more money.

If you get that football needs a plan b (and c), i dont get why you dont get that life also needs a plan a thru z cos not everyone is the same?

I get that you need a plan B. I needed a plan B when both my parents died, but like all the others you are ignoring the basic assumption of my first statement.

IT DEPENDS ON YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES. IF YOU LIVE AT HOME ............ is what I said in my first statement.

Last edited:
Rather a big difference between "done something wrong " and made "the wrong choice, which is what I said

I get that you need a plan B. I needed a plan B when both my parents died, but like all the others you are ignoring the basic assumption of my first statement.

IT DEPENDS ON YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES. IF YOU LIVE AT HOME ............ is what I said in my first statement.
And you are ignoring the original, original point which was that it is more difficult for people now to get on the housing ladder than it has been before.

Even if you live at home you still usually end up paying ‘rent’. You are lucky if that is just a nominal amount but how many are that lucky? I certainly wasn’t when I had to do it. And that’s before you have to pay any outgoings.

Instead you fire off rubbish like people have made the wrong choice which is sooo different to saying people have done something wrong that I fail to see much difference.

In all of your posts you have not once shown the slightest understanding of what is being said whether through general ignorance or the deliberate ignoring of any point that challenges your world view.

Enjoy the rest of your day because I honestly cannot be bothered to engage with you any more.

And you are ignoring the original, original point which was that it is more difficult for people now to get on the housing ladder than it has been before.

Even if you live at home you still usually end up paying ‘rent’. You are lucky if that is just a nominal amount but how many are that lucky? I certainly wasn’t when I had to do it. And that’s before you have to pay any outgoings.

Instead you fire off rubbish like people have made the wrong choice which is sooo different to saying people have done something wrong that I fail to see much difference.

In all of your posts you have not once shown the slightest understanding of what is being said whether through general ignorance or the deliberate ignoring of any point that challenges your world view.

Enjoy the rest of your day because I honestly cannot be bothered to engage with you any more.

And you have totally failed to understand anything I've said. It is more difficult to buy a house nowadays, which is nothing to do with anything I've said. I would suggest anyone paying £800 a month in rent to their mum and dad would be better off moving out. I'm astounded at the number of people who fail to understand the simple concept of IF you live at home......

Similarly if you are on minimum wage years after doing a Uni course, it does beg the question what the point was in going.

Y

You say that you weren't lucky enough to be paying a nominal amount? Whilst I sympathize, I do wonder how parents earning 20k per annum in 1981, the equivalent to at least 120k by present day earnings couldn't see their way to subsidizing your board and lodging by a small amount. I would imagine them to be at least, relatively well off.

Y

You say that you weren't lucky enough to be paying a nominal amount? Whilst I sympathize, I do wonder how parents earning 20k per annum in 1981, the equivalent to at least 120k by present day earnings couldn't see their way to subsidizing your board and lodging by a small amount. I would imagine them to be at least, relatively well off.
Wonder away chap. The reasons are their own but I was told that if I wanted to carry on living there I would be expected to pay a decent rate for board etc that equated to 25% of whatever I earned up to a maximum of £50 per week.

I didnt and don’t begrudge them at all as it taught me real life lessons when I needed it. Does help that I know the money was put to one side in an account that has been used to help out when needed and is still there now...

Last edited:
Wonder away chap. The reasons are their own but I was told that if I wanted to carry on living there I would be expected to pay a decent rate for board etc that equated to 25% of whatever I earned up to a maximum of £50 per week.

I didnt and don’t begrudge them at all as it taught me real life lessons when I needed it. Does help that I know the money was put to one side in an account that has been used to help out when needed and is still there now...
Lucky boy

I've always regarded myself as lucky, perhaps because I've always been an optimist and always found a plan 'B'. Probably plan 'B' has always been in my head without my knowing it or maybe all optimists are the same. I don't know the answer. What I do know though is that like a lot of others I've always had to scrap for anything that mattered and that lesson was learned at a very early stage in life although in later life I've learned to be a bit more gentle about it. Quite a few kids I know these days don't seem to have got the same message, could it be that life in general might be just a bit easier than it used to be ?
If I could have it all over again perhaps I'd get to know the answer, otherwise it's a lot like a guessing game.

:shrug:

I've always regarded myself as lucky, perhaps because I've always been an optimist and always found a plan 'B'. Probably plan 'B' has always been in my head without my knowing it or maybe all optimists are the same. I don't know the answer. What I do know though is that like a lot of others I've always had to scrap for anything that mattered and that lesson was learned at a very early stage in life although in later life I've learned to be a bit more gentle about it. Quite a few kids I know these days don't seem to have got the same message, could it be that life in general might be just a bit easier than it used to be ?
If I could have it all over again perhaps I'd get to know the answer, otherwise it's a lot like a guessing game.

:shrug:
I think the answer is that life is different now. It’s all too easy to try and say that your generation had it worse and that later and current generations have had it easy and don’t work as hard but the reality is somewhat different.

My parents worked damn hard for what they got as did many others but I also know plenty of that generation that didn’t. Some got lucky and some didn’t.

The same goes for my generation. I wouldn’t say I worked as hard as my parents but I have still worked all my life. I know people of my generation who have grafted their arses off and others who haven’t done a stroke.

Then there’s the later and most current generation. It’s all too easy to look at the way the world has changed and say they have it easy, don’t know they are born etc but I can comfortably say I know plenty who work their arses off with one kid I know who has just finished his degree and is working two jobs plus volunteering just to get experience to hopefully land a half decent job. The fact that I also know a couple who can’t be arsed to get out of bed...

As I said the reality is that there will always be the grafters and the wasters and lots of levels in between. Don’t write a whole generation off just because it’s easier to do that than understand the issues they face.

And just to bring it sort of on-track, just remember that statistically it is the older generations that have given us Brexit...

And you have totally failed to understand anything I've said. It is more difficult to buy a house nowadays, which is nothing to do with anything I've said. I would suggest anyone paying £800 a month in rent to their mum and dad would be better off moving out. I'm astounded at the number of people who fail to understand the simple concept of IF you live at home......

Similarly if you are on minimum wage years after doing a Uni course, it does beg the question what the point was in going.

I tried not to respond to this but so much is wrong i cant resist- read that last paragraph back to yourself and have a little think.
Imagine that you are correct (bearing in mind that in general you are wrong cos graduates earn more money, generally speaking) who is responsible and why?

The implication from your nonsense is that students should have looked into the future when choosing their course. It also suggests that minimum wage somehow equals bad choices or lifestyle.

I think the answer is that life is different now. It’s all too easy to try and say that your generation had it worse and that later and current generations have had it easy and don’t work as hard but the reality is somewhat different.

My parents worked damn hard for what they got as did many others but I also know plenty of that generation that didn’t. Some got lucky and some didn’t.

The same goes for my generation. I wouldn’t say I worked as hard as my parents but I have still worked all my life. I know people of my generation who have grafted their arses off and others who haven’t done a stroke.

Then there’s the later and most current generation. It’s all too easy to look at the way the world has changed and say they have it easy, don’t know they are born etc but I can comfortably say I know plenty who work their arses off with one kid I know who has just finished his degree and is working two jobs plus volunteering just to get experience to hopefully land a half decent job. The fact that I also know a couple who can’t be arsed to get out of bed...

As I said the reality is that there will always be the grafters and the wasters and lots of levels in between. Don’t write a whole generation off just because it’s easier to do that than understand the issues they face.

And just to bring it sort of on-track, just remember that statistically it is the older generations that have given us Brexit...

Tend to agree in general but must point out that on a personal level I haven't written the current generation off and I do understand their current issues, having 9 grandchildren in their 20s and 30s has made that crystal clear.
And having lived in Oz for 50 years I have no clues or views on Brexit other than still having faith in the UK to make a fist of it eventually.

:thumbup:

Tend to agree in general but must point out that on a personal level I haven't written the current generation off and I do understand their current issues, having 9 grandchildren in their 20s and 30s has made that crystal clear.
And having lived in Oz for 50 years I have no clues or views on Brexit other than still having faith in the UK to make a fist of it eventually.

:thumbup:
Unfortunately far too many people do tend to generalise and demonise other generations. I try not to but it can be all too easy to fall into those stereotypes.

I tried not to respond to this but so much is wrong i cant resist- read that last paragraph back to yourself and have a little think.
Imagine that you are correct (bearing in mind that in general you are wrong cos graduates earn more money, generally speaking) who is responsible and why?

The implication from your nonsense is that students should have looked into the future when choosing their course. It also suggests that minimum wage somehow equals bad choices or lifestyle.

People are free to choose what they want to do. Many people aren't as ambitious , don't deal with stress as well, would rather be in a job they enjoy etc . Graduate jobs usually pay more though. As a general rule if you want a minimum wage job you would be better off just going straight out to work at 18 (as both my kids did), and you would probably have a substantial amount in the pot before you reach 21, as opposed to the likely debts of a student.

Just seen it. Desperate attempt to avoid doing what Sturgeon has done while saving his job.

I don't know what difference it will make until I get to see what results look like tomorrow and how bad it is. Spent most of today trying to figure out the appeals process, which amounts to basically "you can't".

Need to see the detail. What mocks? We've done two sets; one was decent and one was shit (the most recent one). Which ones are we allowed to use and how are the exam boards even going to know? We don't keep the exam papers, students have them. No chance that exam boards have the capacity to actually scrutinise any paper based evidence that isn't just a grade on a spreadsheet

Could be carnage in the next few days.

But ultimately I'm not sure how much it will matter. Unis are going to be desperate for students and any that get foreign students will be throwing themselves at domestic students to fill places. I would be very disappointed if any unis were being arseholes for the exact offer grades in these circumstances.

Well said that man

Just seen it. Desperate attempt to avoid doing what Sturgeon has done while saving his job.

I don't know what difference it will make until I get to see what results look like tomorrow and how bad it is. Spent most of today trying to figure out the appeals process, which amounts to basically "you can't".

Need to see the detail. What mocks? We've done two sets; one was decent and one was shit (the most recent one). Which ones are we allowed to use and how are the exam boards even going to know? We don't keep the exam papers, students have them. No chance that exam boards have the capacity to actually scrutinise any paper based evidence that isn't just a grade on a spreadsheet

Could be carnage in the next few days.

But ultimately I'm not sure how much it will matter. Unis are going to be desperate for students and any that get foreign students will be throwing themselves at domestic students to fill places. I would be very disappointed if any unis were being arseholes for the exact offer grades in these circumstances.

You're not wrong, even Oxford has concerns well to be precise certain courses do. Generally the collages themselves are extremely wealthy, as are certain departments (science in particular) but the arts, humanities etc face some challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.