Brexit rolls on... | Page 43 | Vital Football

Brexit rolls on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to buy a home here in Spain. They offer only 80% mortgages currently, and there's also 17% costs up front. So for 200k place you need like 60k deposit. I do't have that kinda 'disposable' cash ever.

Yes, understood radford, more than one way of skinning a cat though. I've done worse than that and at times worked 3 jobs in order to fix something. I'm not saying that we're sitting pretty even now but we are able to get by without a struggle and my wife is talking about downsizing and as we're sitting on a fairly valuable 5 acre block in a good neighbourhood the future looks good. The point that I was trying to make is that to do any good at any time you have to get off your arse and I'm quite sure I don't have to tell you that.

I get that, im doing ok and have worked hard for it but i had to run every step of the way to get enough to get started. 20 somethings, 30 somethings in fact do everything you describe and get off their asses but its not enough anymore.

Depends where you live of course. £5k a year each should be fairly doable if you live at home with parents , which most people used to do, and probably more likely that minimum wage workers still do. I guess nowadays as more people go to Uni the average age of leaving home is lower.

More assumptions. Rents have risen even faster than houseprices and constitutes a much higher proportion of general costs for your average joe. Probably a closer link between house prices and rent than between house prices and wages.

And if that’s their decision then fair play but there is an element of wanting both as the world encourages materialism.

What is beyond dispute is how difficult it is now even if you are focussed and have a decent job.

Had I wanted to when I was in my 20s I could have bought a 3 bed house on my own and I was a lowly civil servant. It would have been tight but I could have done it.

I have had a couple of promotions since then and I could just about scrape a 3 bed house in the worst parts of the area I live in. The only advantage I would have now is the interest rate but how much longer will that last...?

Minimum of 3-4 years but probably much longer than that.

More assumptions. Rents have risen even faster than houseprices and constitutes a much higher proportion of general costs for your average joe. Probably a closer link between house prices and rent than between house prices and wages.

Except of course, you don't pay rent if you live at home! Minimum wage is now in excess of £18k before tax on a 40 hour week. Pretty poor if you can't make a contribution to a household and still save £5k. As I've already said people used to live at home with parents. Both of my kids went from living here to buying a home. Of course if people choose to leave home and pay rent, that's generally a life choice, though a smaller number of people have these things forced on them for other reasons.

Except of course, you don't pay rent if you live at home! Minimum wage is now in excess of £18k before tax on a 40 hour week. Pretty poor if you can't make a contribution to a household and still save £5k. As I've already said people used to live at home with parents. Both of my kids went from living here to buying a home. Of course if people choose to leave home and pay rent, that's generally a life choice, though a smaller number of people have these things forced on them for other reasons.
That's if you parents can accommodate you and want to.

When I needed to live with parents it was a big fat no.

Of you have younger siblings the chances of living with parents and your girlfriend are slim.

And you may very well not be living or working in the same city as your parents if you have been away to university.

Of you have younger siblings the chances of living with parents and your girlfriend are slim.

And you may very well not be living or working in the same city as your parents if you have been away to university.
Bit of a sacrifice not being able to hump your girlfriend every night, but life's all about choices.

No, the anti-semite, Brexit section, who are generally not jewish or globalist.
I don't know why you thought i meant anything else.
I was merely being flippant and was aiming it at the concern trolls not yourself ( as you don't seem the type to talk the bollox often heard on the subject on here)
I am bored shitless of having to explode the myth that there is a deep rooted anti-Semite strand within the Labour party or that if that strand exists it is inherently a part of "Momentum" a group with (amongst others) Jewish founders. And a group that I am not nor never have been.a supporter or member of.
I am sick of faux concern trolls using the left as a stick to beat the Labour party with and thus allow parties with actual deep antisemite roots to get into government / lead to an actual xenophobic faux excuse for Brexit.

If you have been away to University and end up in a long term minimum wage job, you have obviously made the wrong choice. If you are living with a girlfriend that is again a life choice. Why would there be no room for you in a house you've never moved out of ? There are exceptional circumstances. As I've said before both my parents died before I left school, so I had no one to live with.

As I've already said it depends on the circumstances. Rather ironic if my kids who didn't go from school to Uni, and one of whom was on minimum wage can afford to move out and buy houses , yet Uni students end up on minimum wage and can't.

If you have been away to University and end up in a long term minimum wage job, you have obviously made the wrong choice. If you are living with a girlfriend that is again a life choice. Why would there be no room for you in a house you've never moved out of ? There are exceptional circumstances. As I've said before both my parents died before I left school, so I had no one to live with.

As I've already said it depends on the circumstances. Rather ironic if my kids who didn't go from school to Uni, and one of whom was on minimum wage can afford to move out and buy houses , yet Uni students end up on minimum wage and can't.
That’s a very callous statement to make. There are so many reasons why people may end up taking low paid jobs just to get by or get on the ladder and you have just dismissed this with the trite phrase that they ‘have obviously made the wrong choice’.

The old saw that if you get a degree you can name your price stopped being relevant in the 80s.

Your example is situational at best and ignores the fact that Uni students tend to finish up with debt they have to consider before they even have a job. It’s not like the good old days’..

Companies now look for experience and if you haven’t got it there’s a good chance you can’t get a job to get the relevant experience. It’s a vicious circle that I am glad I don’t have to worry about.

That’s a very callous statement to make. There are so many reasons why people may end up taking low paid jobs just to get by or get on the ladder and you have just dismissed this with the trite phrase that they ‘have obviously made the wrong choice’.

The old saw that if you get a degree you can name your price stopped being relevant in the 80s.

Your example is situational at best and ignores the fact that Uni students tend to finish up with debt they have to consider before they even have a job. It’s not like the good old days’..

Companies now look for experience and if you haven’t got it there’s a good chance you can’t get a job to get the relevant experience. It’s a vicious circle that I am glad I don’t have to worry about.
It is also the case that in many industries you have to wait until an opportunity comes up, and may need to make tens or hundreds of applications before you get a gig in your chosen industry.

It is surely better for them to be working in Starbucks and earning money while doing so?

Added to that, in some/many industries the jobs are in limited places. There is no point going home live with mum and dad in Grantham when your industry jobs are in London, Brum or Manchester

It is also the case that in many industries you have to wait until an opportunity comes up, and may need to make tens or hundreds of applications before you get a gig in your chosen industry.

It is surely better for them to be working in Starbucks and earning money while doing so?

Added to that, in some/many industries the jobs are in limited places. There is no point going home live with mum and dad in Grantham when your industry jobs are in London, Brum or Manchester
I left Uni in 93 and had carried myself through by working at Maccies. I stayed there a year while applying for close on 100 jobs before landing one in the civil service.

Even then things were far from straight-forward but i had a grant and my fees paid. I shudder to think how kids make it through now.

It's not a callous statement, it's a statement of fact. If you read what I put initially I said SOME people live at home, and minimum wage now on a full 40 hours is in excess of £18k gross. Going away to Uni is a life choice. The initial debate was about minimum wage workers. All I said was that two minimum wage workers living at home should be able to save £5k each per year, which would give them a £20k deposit over two years.

The name your salary thing is a load of baloney too. As I've already said I left College in 1976 with a degree, and a qualified teacher. That year teachers were being made redundant. Spent six months looking for any job, so there's nothing new there. Unemployment in the 80s reached 12%, which is probably in excess of post-covid realms, which hopefully we won't reach again.

You are again talking about people who have gone to Uni. The initial conversation was about MINIMUM WAGE WORKERS. All I said was if they had remained at home they SHOULD be able to save on a minimum wage.

It's not a callous statement, it's a statement of fact. If you read what I put initially I said SOME people live at home, and minimum wage now on a full 40 hours is in excess of £18k gross. Going away to Uni is a life choice. The initial debate was about minimum wage workers. All I said was that two minimum wage workers living at home should be able to save £5k each per year, which would give them a £20k deposit over two years.

The name your salary thing is a load of baloney too. As I've already said I left College in 1976 with a degree, and a qualified teacher. That year teachers were being made redundant. Spent six months looking for any job, so there's nothing new there. Unemployment in the 80s reached 12%, which is probably in excess of post-covid realms, which hopefully we won't reach again.
You said that if someone finishes University and ends up on minimum wage they have done something wrong. That is a statement of opinion not fact. And it is callous at best.

You have deliberately avoided the point that has been made by a few people about house prices as a comparison but rather than follow your lead I will answer to say that if someone is on £18k per annum they are on approximately £1200 per month after stoppages at a rough guess.

It then depends how much they have to pay for rent, bills, travel etc as to whether they can afford to put away a third of their net income.

There is no should about it as it is all situational so you can make as many blanket statements as you like, it will not cover everyone and I can only say fair play to those who do manage to get on the ladder in current circumstances.

I think that we may be a bit better off for a job over here than you in the UK, but you still have to be prepared to move your lodgings to get there and it's a bit surprising how many young people are not prepared to do that. I suppose if you're living at home and your parents are helping (as most would) it doesn't matter as much as it used to but it's not a good grounding for life in general. And the more I hear about gap years and such like the worse I feel. For most of us life is harder than we envisaged it to be and lessons learned in youth tend to stick. I had a shock this week when my daughter in law mentioned that my youngest grandson in his early 20s and with his future wife had decided to buy a house and were saving hard, and I know that he'll do it. It can be done but you have to bend your back and knuckle down.
It's different from years gone by when you left school and were expected to get a job quickly and make a donation to the household budget.

I don't think that life was ever easy for most of us, and still isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.