Brexit Day! | Page 106 | Vital Football

Brexit Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So nothing to back up what you said

Where as I have on many occasions

I could actually probably find bits and pieces to back you up

But the overwhelming evidence is in my favour and always will be in regard to BBC News and Current Affairs programmes

The below is not even scratching the surface and I guess they all must wear tinfoil hats too?

https://www.culturematters.org.uk/i.../2947-culture-punch-the-bbc-s-right-wing-bias

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ay-laura-keunssberg-andrew-marr-a7844826.html

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/12/bbc-media-bias-boris-johnson-uk

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/05/the-bbc-cannot-dodge-accusations-of-tory-bias

I could bring more to the table but whats the point after you just get called crazy and now saying i've got a persecution complex

It's a time honoured way of trying to shut down someones opinions when they are accurate to the point where other people don't like it

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"
If I could be arsed i could find plenty.

Go online and it’s easily found.

Scroll back through this thread and there are plenty of people who make it clear that they believe there is a left wing agenda and they give examples.

The thing is, though the whole subject is getting tedious as it has been regurgitated so often.

Add to that your blinkered stance and the accusations you throw at anyone who isn’t fully on board with your world view and I really can’t be bothered.

That’s why I post mainly sound bites on this thread now, particularly in response to you.

And in response to your quote, look in a mirror if you dare.

Last edited:
Remain promised a recession and mass unemployment. I'm not demanding they apologise for those incorrect predictions.

I'd say that's pretty much nailed on now, albeit the catalyst was/is Covid-19 rather than Brexit.

Logic would dictate a need for much more flexibility and co-operation than ever before, there is a whole new normal to get to grips with globally.

We may even (as a Country & as individuals) have learned a few things during the Covid-19 lockdown, with new industries emerging and perhaps even a need to be more insular and focussed on rebuilding our manufacturing base (& other industries) that were decimated decades ago!

Within the UK, some used furlough to lounge in the sunshine - others, took the opportunity to learn, re-evaluate and re-structure.

I'd say that's pretty much nailed on now, albeit the catalyst was/is Covid-19 rather than Brexit.

Logic would dictate a need for much more flexibility and co-operation than ever before, there is a whole new normal to get to grips with globally.

We may even (as a Country & as individuals) have learned a few things during the Covid-19 lockdown, with new industries emerging and perhaps even a need to be more insular and focussed on rebuilding our manufacturing base (& other industries) that were decimated decades ago!

Within the UK, some used furlough to lounge in the sunshine - others, took the opportunity to learn, re-evaluate and re-structure.

Re-shoring will be big now. Because of Industrie 4.0 it is getting cheaper to manufacture locally.
Security of production is in the spotlight now having decentralised supply chains have been exposed and broken by COVID-19.
The Globalisation bubble is bursting and we need to be open, responsive, nimble and lithe, not shackled to a lumbering bloc governed by old-world practices, whose raison d’être is international trade deals.

within two years of the vote.
Says who? Evidence please?

Everyone at the vote assumed we would leave within two years of it because Cameron said he would activate article 50 every day.

I don't recall anyone stating there would be a recession within two years regardless of whether we had actually left or not.

I think it's safe to say people were predicting problems as a consequence of actually leaving, not potentially leaving.

By all means show me evidence of widespread belief otherwise.

Isn't the UK's whole raison d’être international trade deals? That will be news to some.

I see Boris couldn't guarantee we will have the same quantity and quality of data that keeps us all safe after brexit. Apparently it depends on the negotiations!
We cannot possible have more access to data that we already have so presumably there is a good chance we will have less.

Keeping us just as safe after Brexit? Nope.
We might have to tick that safeguard off the list if negotiations don't go well. How are they going so far?

it’s a logical stance. What did you think to the news last week about them closing the Barcelona factory?

I think the back story, that was missed by much of the media, said much about Nissan, Renault and Mitsubishi’s intentions.
With the help of the French Government, Renault are going to concentrate their manufacturing in France.
Nissan said they would concentrate on 3 types of vehicle, electric, sports and SUV vehicles.
Obviously the SUV’s are made in Sunderland, but the main market is the US.
The cars made in Barcelona are also made in France, in the Renault plants. Nissan need to lose capacity so closing a plant is needed.
The news about Barcelona is bad, but not unexpected.

Sunderland I’m sure would have continued to be central to Nissan’s plans in Europe, but the issue of tariffs is massive for them. Something that has been known for long enough.

Personally, I think the direction that Nissan is taking, the additional costs a no deal position brings and the influence of the French government/Renault probably means Sunderland’s future is short term.

I hope I’m wrong, but today’s announcement is following a similar path that both the closed Indonesia plant, and the soon to close Barcelona plant have followed.

Everyone at the vote assumed we would leave within two years of it because Cameron said he would activate article 50 every day.

I don't recall anyone stating there would be a recession within two years regardless of whether we had actually left or not.

I think it's safe to say people were predicting problems as a consequence of actually leaving, not potentially leaving.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...s-interest-rates-on-hold-as-brexit-fears-bite

He is very unclear as to whether he is saying after a vote or after Brexit. These quotes suggest the latter:

He said there were a range of possible scenarios for the economy in the event of Brexit and these “could possibly include a technical recession” – defined as two consecutive quarters of shrinking GDP.

“A vote to leave the EU could have material economic effects – on the exchange rate, on demand and on the economy’s supply potential – that could affect the appropriate setting of monetary policy,” Carney told a news conference.

He also says "in the event of Brexit" a lot. From what I'm reading it sounds a lot more like he is talking about post brexit rather than post brexit vote.

It's ambiguous though and I don't think you could assert either with full confidence. I can see where your interpretation comes from

He is very unclear as to whether he is saying after a vote or after Brexit. These quotes suggest the latter:

He said there were a range of possible scenarios for the economy in the event of Brexit and these “could possibly include a technical recession” – defined as two consecutive quarters of shrinking GDP.

“A vote to leave the EU could have material economic effects – on the exchange rate, on demand and on the economy’s supply potential – that could affect the appropriate setting of monetary policy,” Carney told a news conference.

He also says "in the event of Brexit" a lot. From what I'm reading it sounds a lot more like he is talking about post brexit rather than post brexit vote.

It's ambiguous though and I don't think you could assert either with full confidence. I can see where your interpretation comes from

It was widely called ‘project fear’ at the time. Carney also did a U turn...

https://www.politico.eu/article/mark-carney-eats-humble-pie-on-brexit/

It was widely called ‘project fear’ at the time. Carney also did a U turn...

https://www.politico.eu/article/mark-carney-eats-humble-pie-on-brexit/
It was called project Fear by Mr Cummings and was picked up by the media he briefed to do so....

The concept came from the Scottish referendum.

In fairness, it is a legitimate criticism as the Tory remain campaign offered no positive vision of Europe and the Labour remain campaign offered absolutely nothing at all

It was called project Fear by Mr Cummings and was picked up by the media he briefed to do so....

The concept came from the Scottish referendum.

In fairness, it is a legitimate criticism as the Tory remain campaign offered no positive vision of Europe and the Labour remain campaign offered absolutely nothing at all
Couldn’t agree more.

What do I think about those two questions?
From what point of view? The structure, grammar, appropriateness to the conversation?
Dodging like a seasoned Tory politician! Well done.
Do you think De Pfaffer-Cummings are doing a good job on
1. Brexit
2. Covid-19

Re-shoring will be big now. Because of Industrie 4.0 it is getting cheaper to manufacture locally.
Security of production is in the spotlight now having decentralised supply chains have been exposed and broken by COVID-19.
The Globalisation bubble is bursting and we need to be open, responsive, nimble and lithe, not shackled to a lumbering bloc governed by old-world practices, whose raison d’être is international trade deals.
So how do we achieve that? How do we start manufacturing locally? What do we make? Who funds it?

Our govt in Oz has just confirmed that we are in the grip of a recession. I think most of us already knew that and it's got nothing to do with Brexit. We weren't told how many were out of a job and on the dole but it will be a considerable number. Could be that we are even worse off than you folk.

I've just tightened my belt.

Our government said exactly the above. Along with the IMF and the BOE .
There's a few for starters.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ost-if-it-left-eu-new-treasury-analysis-shows

Speaking at B&Q in Eastleigh, Hampshire, the Prime Minister and Chancellor set out the Treasury’s analysis of the impact on the nation’s economy over the immediate period of two years following a vote to leave.
This analysis shows that such a decision would cause an immediate and profound economic shock across the country, creating instability and uncertainty
which would be made worse by the complex negotiations that would follow to agree the terms of Britain’s exit from the EU and its new relationship with the rest of Europe.
Echoing the recent warnings from the independent Bank of England and the International Monetary Fund, the central conclusion of the Treasury’s new analysis is that the effect of this profound shock would be to push the UK into recession and lead to a sharp rise in unemployment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.