Brad’s interview | Page 5 | Vital Football

Brad’s interview

The fan base will turn on the owners if results are poor. Fans are fickle if the love in ends.

The only thing that matters in football is winning and i could not care less who is or is not doing which job lol.

The aim was the playoffs and we are still in the running yet people are more worried about PSs role or KJ or hess or their love of brad etc.

The fan base will turn on the owners if results are poor. Fans are fickle if the love in ends.

The only thing that matters in football is winning and i could not care less who is or is not doing which job lol.

The aim was the playoffs and we are still in the running yet people are more worried about PSs role or KJ or hess or their love of brad etc.
It’s possible to have a discussion about who’s doing what without being in the least bit concerned about it ;)

Ultimately the old place has a new life about it and it’s enjoyable (for the most part) again, and it’s squarely down to the Galinsons. In them we trust.

Last edited:
Agree with all of that.
It’s just my opinion but I think that the amount of abuse that Scally got from a small section of our fans contributed to his obvious lack of interest near the end.
They would probably argue that that was exactly the point, but we all know that it got extremely personal. If I put myself in his position, I’d have probably just wrapped it up.
That’s all under the bridge now, but I’d wager that he’s chuffed to be out of the firing line.
I wonder how long before some turn on the Gallinsons.
Probably next season if we don’t get a good start.
There will be some calling for Clem to go if we don’t make the playoffs and then with Scally gone, Harris gone, Clem gone, the next target is ………
I've often wondered if the abuse Scally got made him stay on longer just to prove they couldn't force him out. So the SOB were quite possibly counter productive.

And his holding on to a 30% share just to show the (apparently) hypocritical Perry that he's still around is Paul's way of saying "Up Yours". I'd have been sorely tempted to follow the same path.

Personally, I still think that when he took over PDPS was the right man for the circumstances at the time. He just stayed on too long, but as I've said, possibly just to defy Perry & the Groupies.

I've often wondered if the abuse Scally got made him stay on longer just to prove they couldn't force him out. So the SOB were quite possibly counter productive.

And his holding on to a 30% share just to show the (apparently) hypocritical Perry that he's still around is Paul's way of saying "Up Yours". I'd have been sorely tempted to follow the same path.

Personally, I still think that when he took over PDPS was the right man for the circumstances at the time. He just stayed on too long, but as I've said, possibly just to defy Perry & the Groupies.
How long had the SOB been hassling him personally?

It didn't seem long after he was in the local news complaining about his car being damaged and his daughter being harassed, that he went abroad and left the club in Paul Fisher's hands to drift until the takeover.

IMHO he didn't stay on just that year too long but several years too long, but everyone will have their opinion on that.

The 30% share is clearly a way of not missing out on a killing if the council ever clear the planning barriers for a self funding new ground, increasing the value of the club.

It didn't seem long after he was in the local news complaining about his car being damaged and his daughter being harassed, that he went abroad and left the club in Paul Fisher's hands to drift until the takeover.

IMHO he didn't stay on just that year too long but several years too long, but everyone will have their opinion on that.

The 30% share is clearly a way of not missing out on a killing if the council ever clear the planning barriers for a self funding new ground, increasing the value of the club.
I’d imagine if Priestfield was ever sold for a few million for housing that any significant shareholders might get some kind of windfall? Perhaps he’s hanging on for that eventuality. Hopefully it would only happen if we had a new stadium to move to, we know the Galinsons’ background is real estate, so it could be an interesting few years ahead .

They were certainly “at him” way before Covid break. And from memory even before our great year of 2016(?) that brought a minor reprieve.

The vitriol aimed at him from the terraces when I came back for a visit in 2017 really shocked me. Similar abuse given to JED too. Vile. Pretty sure the SoB was already a thing then. I actually stopped bothering interacting online for a fair while after. Couldn’t be bothered with our “fans” until I realised it was simply a very vocal minority that got everyone else wound up.

I suspect that could be true, putting 2 fingers up to the haters. I get the impression that would be in his personality too.

He’s possibly done very well out of the sale so far. Plus got the 3 directors money owing to him, and whatever his 20 or 30% share is worth. Set up very nicely for retirement whenever he chooses. Or retire but keep his shares anyway, win win for him.

Some of the comments here do not make sense. "Recruitment as been 2/3rds succesful" - Really?

Yes. I’d say so.

We’ve been pretty successful in defence and midfield, not so much up front. That’s about 2/3’s.

Also, as mentioned in the article, but you’ve not commented, Ogie, Coleman, Hutton, Masterson, and others have been top quality signings. And all young.

I’d also add it’s lots of factors, not just recruitment, as to why we can’t seem to score. I said months ago, if we got in Alfie May last summer (or JCH in Jan), that would have been brilliant recruitment. But what if he then didn’t score many? That’s entirely possible in this side, would that make it bad recruitment?

I think most people would agree when we signed Lapslie, J Williams, Mahoney etc, I thought we’d be scoring loads. Those players had very good scoring records elsewhere and are quality attacking mids. So is it poor recruitment, or something else as to why we can’t score?

Our only glaring omission is having someone up top to get 15+. And it’s not an exact science is it?

Not sure where you get the "year" from GBN?

I was at Blackpool in May 2019 when we were 3-0 up and cruising.

A large group were chanting "We want Scally out" then! (PDPS was present at the match)

And it had been going on for quite a while before that.

It's clear with hindsight that what we have done is recruited players with a decent record at other clubs but we haven't recruited decent players that have come together as a TEAM. This squad, as has been proved this season can't (or wont/don't want to) play effective football together.

That IMO is on the recruitment. Whether that's on KJ, AH and NH or just on KJ and AH is up for debate but in attacking areas most of our attacking players have lived up to what I expected and some have simply just not been good enough.

Our strikers we've had at our disposal are nowhere near the quality needed to score the goals to get us out the division IMO. Its by some miracle we're still involved in the play-off race, not because we've been decent but because everyone else has been as inconsistent/shit as us, although most others are worse defensively rather than not being able to score goals. Defensively IMO we're strong but I'd imagine that's where a fair portion of our budget has been spent.

Using analytics to recruit is a weird one IMO. BG says we're need to move away from being in the 'pool' competing with everyone else for players, yet goes on to say everyone is starting to use analytics, presumably meaning that method will identify the same type of players clubs want ( I.e a striker who is quick, mobile, a physical presence, scores goals, can hold the ball up).

For me, we have lacked an energy/fitness to get around the pitch, a method of creating chances and the obvious lack of someone to put the ball in the back of the net. That doesn't need some analytics to tell me that and IMO KJ or AH shouldn't need analytics to tell them the type of players. Identifying those type of players is what they get paid to do Shirley, go out and watch players in person, that's the best judge, not an algorithm.

Also have doubts that our budget, if as BG says in the KOL article is going to be similar for next season, will be able to accommodate the probable 3 strikers we need (as well as Andrews for next season.

I'd be amazed if we recruited only 3 or 4 players in the summer and were in the top three next season. We need 6 or 7 attack minded/creative/goalscoring players in our squad for next season IMO.

None of J Williams, Lapslie, J Clarke, Mahoney have done enough to warrant being immediate picks for next season and we need at least two if not three strikers alongside Andrews.

On PS anyone who thought PS was quietly going to fade into the background and didn't still want his fingers in pies doesn't know him very well. He may have 'expertise' but he is also someone who could never delegate or let others do what they're paid to do.

Last edited:
Yes. I’d say so.

We’ve been pretty successful in defence and midfield, not so much up front. That’s about 2/3’s.

Also, as mentioned in the article, but you’ve not commented, Ogie, Coleman, Hutton, Masterson, and others have been top quality signings. And all young.

I’d also add it’s lots of factors, not just recruitment, as to why we can’t seem to score. I said months ago, if we got in Alfie May last summer (or JCH in Jan), that would have been brilliant recruitment. But what if he then didn’t score many? That’s entirely possible in this side, would that make it bad recruitment?

I think most people would agree when we signed Lapslie, J Williams, Mahoney etc, I thought we’d be scoring loads. Those players had very good scoring records elsewhere and are quality attacking mids. So is it poor recruitment, or something else as to why we can’t score?

Our only glaring omission is having someone up top to get 15+. And it’s not an exact science is it?
This is where i differ.

For me the defensive recruitment has been very good but that's it.

I think the midfield choices have been poor - bar Coleman.

I make that 1/3 successful.

Not sure where you get the "year" from GBN?

I was at Blackpool in May 2019 when we were 3-0 up and cruising.

A large group were chanting "We want Scally out" then! (PDPS was present at the match)

And it had been going on for quite a while before that.
Sorry but I would not call that hassling him personally. Every manager and chairman gets that sort of thing when things are going badly and the fans feel they are not being listened to.

The year I was referring to was when he went to the papers rather than the police when he claimed that his car had been vandalised and his daughter harassed, which was an obvious escalation. It was on Kent Online but their search engine is sh*t so I can't find it in the history.

Maybe the SOB goes back to 2008 and he has stuck his fingers up for 14 years, as I did find this though:

He also knows about disgust and scumbags as this story was from the following year:

Sorry but I would not call that hassling him personally. Every manager and chairman gets that sort of thing when things are going badly and the fans feel they are not being listened to.

The year I was referring to was when he went to the papers rather than the police when he claimed that his car had been vandalised and his daughter harassed, which was an obvious escalation. It was on Kent Online but their search engine is sh*t so I can't find it in the history.

Maybe the SOB goes back to 2008 and he has stuck his fingers up for 14 years, as I did find this though:

He also knows about disgust and scumbags as this story was from the following year:
I remember reading about the "rock" incident. But if you'd asked me, I'd have said it was about 6 or 7 years ago, not 16!

I may be wrong, but I think since then we've been promoted twice and relegated 3 times?

Not sure what the difference is between "abuse" and "personal abuse" when the chanting included his name, but don't think it's worth arguing about. Fact is he's taken a back seat which I can only see getting further back until it falls off the edge of Sheppy as the Brad way increasingly takes over.

It's clear with hindsight that what we have done is recruited players with a decent record at other clubs but we haven't recruited decent players that have come together as a TEAM. This squad, as has been proved this season can't (or wont/don't want to) play effective football together.

That IMO is on the recruitment. Whether that's on KJ, AH and NH or just on KJ and AH is up for debate but in attacking areas most of our attacking players have lived up to what I expected and some have simply just not been good enough.

Our strikers we've had at our disposal are nowhere near the quality needed to score the goals to get us out the division IMO. Its by some miracle we're still involved in the play-off race, not because we've been decent but because everyone else has been as inconsistent/shit as us, although most others are worse defensively rather than not being able to score goals. Defensively IMO we're strong but I'd imagine that's where a fair portion of our budget has been spent.

Using analytics to recruit is a weird one IMO. BG says we're need to move away from being in the 'pool' competing with everyone else for players, yet goes on to say everyone is starting to use analytics, presumably meaning that method will identify the same type of players clubs want ( I.e a striker who is quick, mobile, a physical presence, scores goals, can hold the ball up).

For me, we have lacked an energy/fitness to get around the pitch, a method of creating chances and the obvious lack of someone to put the ball in the back of the net. That doesn't need some analytics to tell me that and IMO KJ or AH shouldn't need analytics to tell them the type of players. Identifying those type of players is what they get paid to do Shirley, go out and watch players in person, that's the best judge, not an algorithm.

Also have doubts that our budget, if as BG says in the KOL article is going to be similar for next season, will be able to accommodate the probable 3 strikers we need (as well as Andrews for next season.

I'd be amazed if we recruited only 3 or 4 players in the summer and were in the top three next season. We need 6 or 7 attack minded/creative/goalscoring players in our squad for next season IMO.

None of J Williams, Lapslie, J Clarke, Mahoney have done enough to warrant being immediate picks for next season and we need at least two if not three strikers alongside Andrews.

On PS anyone who thought PS was quietly going to fade into the background and didn't still want his fingers in pies doesn't know him very well. He may have 'expertise' but he is also someone who could never delegate or let others do what they're paid to do.
Team spirit was what kept Gills in the second tier for longer than expected.
So we know that individual skill isn't everything in football.

It isn't obvious that the current squad is totalling lacking - but at times some of them seem either to be coasting - or strangers.

Analytics may help produce a short list...
...but can they capture "team spirit" ?

As I write that, is it possible that "analytics" might even exclude "team spirit".
Can someone with coaching experience enlighten ?

Team spirit was what kept Gills in the second tier for longer than expected.
So we know that individual skill isn't everything in football.

It isn't obvious that the current squad is totalling lacking - but at times some of them seem either to be coasting - or strangers.

Analytics may help produce a short list...
...but can they capture "team spirit" ?

As I write that, is it possible that "analytics" might even exclude "team spirit".
Can someone with coaching experience enlighten ?

For a start, they say the analytics is simply a tool to identify a shortlist of player types with known measurable qualities, for people like AH and KJ to then go and actually scout, observe, speak to etc.

Also, how can any system of scouting come up with a good measure of “team spirit” or similar without relying on anecdotal evidence? it’s not an exact science.

Wow, you're on first name terms.

If you had any genuine care for your daughter's safety and welfare , the last thing you would do is to take it to the media. If you have a daughter just reflect on what you would have done and then take a view as to the veracity of Scally's vague and unsubstantiated accusations.

If you had any genuine care for your daughter's safety and welfare , the last thing you would do is to take it to the media. If you have a daughter just reflect on what you would have done and then take a view as to the veracity of Scally's vague and unsubstantiated accusations.
Disagree, I have two daughters and I would have found Perry and his cowardly little teenage disciples and kicked the fucking shit out of them.
Glad he has more self restraint than me I suppose.

This is where i differ.

For me the defensive recruitment has been very good but that's it.

I think the midfield choices have been poor - bar Coleman.

I make that 1/3 successful.
Almost agree. Clearly the defensive signings have been excellent without any obvious failures. Up front the recruitment has failed to deliver the required quality for whatever reason. In midfield I think we've signed decent players on paper but the fact is not all of them have achieved the levels of consistency hoped for based upon their performances at other clubs. For midfield, as the school report might say - could do better.