Bostwick - Defence or Midfield? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Bostwick - Defence or Midfield?

Bostwick, Defense or Midfield?

• Total voters
What we lose from midfield when he plays defence massively outweighs any gain we get from him in defence.

If we are wanting to have Freck & McCartan (or any other midfielders that like to run forward) we need him there as DM to give them that freedom to move forward.

Even the captain has to justify his place in the side. Freck's average player rating since he returned last season is only 6.13, lower than every other current player except for Tom Pett. Part of that must surely be due to personal circumstances and a persistent injury last season, but he needs to increase that score significantly regardless of whether he is the captain or not.

EDIT: Scrub that, Tom Pett is currently higher.

Lincoln will also get a decent loan player for Centre Midfield. Don't be surprised if we have given some assurance to play them either, as I imagine we have to Bradford regarding MCcartan.

I noted that as well. I don't like 4-2-3-1 anyway, but I can't see how it would work with two relatively slow midfielders, tbh.

Given our squad, either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 both look better options to me.

Because in a 4-2-3-1 the "2" isn't midfielders in the traditional sense. They are both holding players with the full backs playing more like wingers.

When the team loses the ball of the "2" DMs one will slot in between the 2 centre backs making a 3 giving the full backs more licence as they do not need to be scared of leaving the centre backs unguarded.

So as soon as you lose the ball you have a defensive unit of 4 more centrally (in front of the keeper.)

With the ball they can control the game and the 4 in front + the full backs give a mass of options.

So many top teams have used variations of this formation which is why the past decade+ has seen (at least at elite levels) a lot of the ball going from one wing and recycled back to the DMs through to the other wing etc.

Although evolution seems to have seen the "5-3-2 / 3-5-2" start to be favoured again.

Last edited:
Even the captain has to justify his place in the side. Freck's average player rating since he returned last season is only 6.13, lower than every other current player except for Tom Pett. Part of that must surely be due to personal circumstances and a persistent injury last season, but he needs to increase that score significantly regardless of whether he is the captain or not.

I don't think you can really judge a player like Frecklington on ratings playing the way we did last season (or prior.)

If we are starting to play more on the ground then we can really assess him. round pegs, square holes and all that. He isn't really the type of player for a "more direct" style of play. Much more part of an attacking unit as in more modern formations.

And yes it may also find that other players we now have are still more suited to being part of an attacking unit rather than a traditional lower league "pick up the second ball" team.

That's
BEcause in a 4-2-3-1 the "2" isn;t midfielders in the traditional sense. They are both holding players with the full backs playing more like wingers.

When the team loses the ball of the "2" DMs one will slot in between the 2 centre backs making a 3 giving the full backs more licence as they do not need to be scared of leaving the centre backs unguarded.

So as soon as you lose the ball you have a defensive unit of 4 more centrally (in front of the keeper.)

With the ball they can control the game and the 4 in front + the full backs give a mass of options.

So many top teams have used variations of this formation which is why the past decade has seen a lot of the ball going from one wing and recycled back to the DMs through to the other wing etc.

Although evolution seems to have seen the "5-3-2 / 3-5-2" start to be favoured again.

That's great. Why didn't it work against Grimsby?

Defence for me, an absolute rock so far. He doesn’t have the pace required in midfield for me, MO’C had an off day after impressing v Swindon, plus we have Pett & Chapman to come in ..... I assume Freck is a guaranteed starter regardless of form? ?
I agree. If we come up against a mobile midfield he can get bypassed quite easily. Saying that CM is where he can influence the game more.

That's

That's great. Why didn't it work against Grimsby?

No idea. I wasn't there so I didn't see what we did. I'm not entirely sure the Cowleys ever or have ever used a 4-2-3-1 though. We always seem to play with 1 full back withdrawn if the ball is on the other side. Probably because of players we have had at the time. However just looking at the Swindon game (only game I saw the whole of) we certainly have 4 now that can make the 3-1 work. Whether we have 2 players disciplined enough for the 2 and 2 full backs that will both push up as soon as we get the ball is a different matter.

Sum of their parts etc. If one spot is not working, the whole formation/tactic doesn't work.

I'm not so sure 4-2-3-1 is the formation of choice now though. Like I said it seems to have been overtaken by 5-3-2 / 3-5-2.

no room for sentiment in football ,perform or be benched!

Defence for me, an absolute rock so far. He doesn’t have the pace required in midfield for me, MO’C had an off day after impressing v Swindon, plus we have Pett & Chapman to come in ..... I assume Freck is a guaranteed starter regardless of form? ?

I don't see why Lee Frecklington should be an automatic starter because he is captain. If he is not performing on the pitch surely he shouldn't play. We've already seen at Northampton and Grimsby that there is no room for "passengers". Waterfall certainly wasn't an automatic choice for a long period last season.

I find it very difficult to justify leaving Tom Pett out when he is in such good form.

I also hope we don't see Akinde as the first name on the team sheet just because he is City's most expensive player.

UTI !

I don't see why Lee Frecklington should be an automatic starter because he is captain. If he is not performing on the pitch surely he shouldn't play. We've already seen at Northampton and Grimsby that there is no room for "passengers". Waterfall certainly wasn't an automatic choice for a long period last season.

I find it very difficult to justify leaving Tom Pett out when he is in such good form.

I also hope we don't see Akinde as the first name on the team sheet just because he is City's most expensive player.

UTI !

Waterfall had to fight for his place. Dropped several times. I don't see why it's any different for Frecklington.