Bostwick - Defence or Midfield? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bostwick - Defence or Midfield?

Bostwick, Defense or Midfield?

• Total voters
I've always maintained CM is Bostwick's strongest position, particular in a three (as is the case for most CM's).

We lose too much in there when he's put back into CM, particularly when the other two are completely different players i.e. O'Connor and Freck.

Probably wasn't *as* noticeable when he dropped back with Woodyard left in there.

I'm yet to be convinced by Wilson, mind.

I'll make one other point about Bossie after watching him in the warm up at Northampton (they were warming up right opposite me) in the warm up where they play a small sided passing game (yellow bibs versus non bibs and some sort of wildcard players in blue bibs) keep your eye on Bossie. His first touch and ability to pick a pass out in that warm up is clearly superior to any other player in the squad that I could see, another reason to play him further forward in my eyes

base of midfield for fierce/tricky away games like saturday.
but in away games when wharton is injured, and crookes is clearly not trusted at this stage, he was the next best choice in defence.
it is a downside of the small squad - he can cover two positions, but he can't play in both at the same time.

base of midfield for fierce/tricky away games like saturday.
but in away games when wharton is injured, and crookes is clearly not trusted at this stage, he was the next best choice in defence.
it is a downside of the small squad - he can cover two positions, but he can't play in both at the same time.

I would have thought at the level Shackell has played at in his career he could probably wing it for half a dozen games before being completely on method?

Fitness of others allowing, Bossie definitely in a midfield three for me for away games particularly. A 4-3-1-2 with emphasis on the full backs playing higher and regularly overlapping to provide width, somebody in the hole to find the space and two up top to ensure we have bodies in the box close to each other. For home games depending on how defensive the opposition are we could play with a bit more freedom but I would still have Bossie patrolling just in front of the centre backs.

It depends entirely on who else is in the side on any given day.

His best position is centre half. However, I do think that Shackell and Wharton should be the central pairing now - Shackell because of his vast top flight experience and Wharton because he is not only a very good player, but also left-sided.

Added to which, I feel our central midfield pairing from Saturday is not great - I appreciate that O'Connor and Frecklington played together successfully at Rotherham, but they really do lack pace. That will invite opposing forwards onto the defence too often, leaving them with a lot to do. Bostwick is a blocker, an old-fashioned stopper who can prevent that happening if played just in front of the defence. In other words, the job that Woodyard used to do.

That was a very slow central four we had out on Saturday (Frecklington/O'Connor, Bostwick/Shackell) with an average age of 32 - I was worried about it before kick-off. It may leave us exposed against quicker forwards.

wharton was’nt injured it was a decision made by dc/nc to play shackell instead not sure it worked but im not the manager , long term id like to see wharton / wilson pairing with bozzie back in midfield, we wont always be this lucky away from home grimsby / northampton now yielded 4 points when it should or could have been nil poi

From what I saw in the Swindon game as soon as Shackell came on and Bostwick switched to midfield it changed the pattern of the game, may also have had something to do with Pett as well, but he did look much happier in that role. UTI.

From what I saw in the Swindon game as soon as Shackell came on and Bostwick switched to midfield it changed the pattern of the game, may also have had something to do with Pett as well, but he did look much happier in that role. UTI.

I noted that as well. I don't like 4-2-3-1 anyway, but I can't see how it would work with two relatively slow midfielders, tbh.

Given our squad, either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 both look better options to me.

So scott on bench but cant play because he got calf injury mmmm
yep, not a great message to send to crookes, who didn't make the bench, behind a guy that was injured. apparently the squad contains no dead wood, and everyone is capable of contributing...