Bostwick - Defence or Midfield? | Vital Football

Bostwick - Defence or Midfield?

Bostwick, Defense or Midfield?

• Total voters
Personally I think he is a fantastic Centre back ideally playing alongside Wharton and that is his strongest position.

But at present I think it would benefit the team better having him play in central midfield with O’Connor.

Excellent question, and one that needed to be asked.

Midfield, if only because he adds so much defensive strength there, as well as the odd goal, too.

Gone for midfield but a close call for me....think we look more secure with him playing in front of the defence but he’s also a great CH and header of the ball
Shame we haven’t got two of him!

Midfield for me - we have enough strength at CB with Shackell, Wilson and Wharton - can't think why we changed it on Saturday bearing in mind the team display at Port Vale - other than squad rotation because of the number of games in the next 2/3 weeks

He's such a versatile player and does brilliantly at both, but I think it comes down to where we need him most. The chance to maraude from the midfield is also playing to his strengths, there's always a goal in there somewhere given the opportunity #bozziefangirl :lol:

He’s probably more of a natural centre back so it’s his best position. More use in our squad and team in the middle though so I’ve gone with that option

Shackell and Wharton are both excellent options at the back but both left footed, therefore I can see us playing more 3 at the back and bring Wilson in to balance them out.

Bossie is class anywhere, I do like him in midfield to take the high ball out and press 2nd balls.

Either in a back 3 or just in front of 2 CBs, with the other midfielders we have the defence looks exposed otherwise. Danny needs a formation which allows defensive protection without stifling creativity futher forward, and yesterday's line up and team performance seemed to offer neither.

With a 3 (and without Bostwick) we looked secure for most of the game at Vale, with 2 including Bostwick, horribly vulnerable at BP. Hard to tell accurately from the iFollow extended highlights, but whereas we won most second balls at Vale, we weren't at the races in that respect yesterday.

I'd go 4-1-2-3 but as with all our punditry on here, I don't see how they're training and talk to the squad daily, the Cowleys will analyse, talk, and plan accordingly for a different challenge on Tuesday.

I think the problem with selection at Grimsby was that Wharton was carrying van injury. That is why he didn't start game. If he had been 100% fit he may have started and Boswick might have been in midfield.
Hopefully Wharton will be fit on Tuesday and then it will be interesting to see who plays and in what position. For me Bostwick is important in both positions so it is quite a dilemma for Danny.

Always thought centre half.... but now we have Shackell I guess we will see more of him in midfield.

That said he is a class act wherever he plays and is a nailed on starter in virtually every Lincoln team.

He is superb at both. However, I thought when the line-up was announced, I wonder how well Bossie and Shackell will play alongside each other in a back four. Bossie tends to dominate and go for everything early. Shackell is more subtle and calm and more of a reader of the game as plays develop. Bossie's all action style may unsettle Shackell a bit and trump what he's trying to do in organising the defence. It may be my imagination but there were a couple of times during the game that I thought they were not entirely compatible. On that basis I'd rather have Bossie protecting a back three or four in midfield. I've also noticed he's holding and playing the ball a lot more than he did last season where he tended to just pump or flick it forward at the first opportunity. With Freck & O'Connor in front of him he can do a great job. Pett provides the option if Bossie isn't playing that role. Think we should play a back four with Shackell and either Wharton or Wilson alongside him, or a back three with those three.

Last edited:
Defence for me, an absolute rock so far. He doesn’t have the pace required in midfield for me, MO’C had an off day after impressing v Swindon, plus we have Pett & Chapman to come in ..... I assume Freck is a guaranteed starter regardless of form? ?