Bolger to Northampton | Page 3 | Vital Football

Bolger to Northampton

Bolger for me was a good defender.

However, you could see even against Salford he was not as comfortable in possession as the newer recruits.

The thing we won't really know for a good few weeks is whether we have gained defenders with ball playing ability that are at least as good at defending at those we had last year...

or sacrificed one for the other.

My only question would be why we have previously settled for "stoppers" if pukka footballing defenders were available to us.

Then again perhaps the style attracts the player.
When we had Rob Dickie we were making sure we could establish ourselves in the FL and playing percentage football...
but I think it's fair to say he was not a fan of our style of play at the time... and did n't stay.

Did nothing remarkable Bolger but was solid, good luck to him. I imagine our defensive record was better in games he started last season, but not got the patience to work it out!

Good luck is in order. Bolger will probably thrive at Northampton .The style of play will suit him .

In terms of replacements I thought Montsma played well in the first half against Salford.

I also thought Walsh played well in the 2nd but that turned out to be Montsma too....

In terms of replacements I thought Montsma played well in the first half against Salford.
Montsma showed in just that one game that he is a totally different style of centre-back to Bolger. He carried the ball out of defence on a number of occasions and looked very comfortable. Perhaps Montsma's performance in that game finally convinced MA that he could let Bolger go.

Thought he was our best player v Salford - not that that means much I know. He had definitely improved since joining us. Good luck Cian!

I just hope the new "ball playing" defenders can defend as well as Bolger!
Jackson and Walsh have L1 pedigree in that respect, Montsma looked more than capable v Salford though it's hard to judge him on that one game.

Roughan also looked comfortable which may mean the precious 22 can be better stocked in other positions.

Yep not a chance of challenging for anything.
Pretty much all the high earners gone but that also mean pretty much all the good (and very good) players gone.
But that is Appleton's remit.
Keep us in Lge1 using the lowest paid set players we can get away with and hope that one or two do actually prove good and sell them on.
Fair enough.
Survive, survive again, and as time goes by gradually out-finance others who overspend and get into big trouble.
If I'm being honest, I find that comment hugely disrespectful to Clive and the Board. To suggest they're intent on spending as little as possible goes completely against the work they've done off the pitch in the last four years, which was on par with that DC/NC did on it.

Clive in particular went above and beyond to enable us to get the Cowley's here to start with and who also gave them free reign to re-build the backroom staff. Without Clive and the Board, we'd not have been able to get Raggett despite the, in our position now, fairly low outlay. It was just money we didn't have at the time. The same Board who allowed DC to break our transfer record, the same one who allowed DC to sign the likes of Shackell, Frecklington, Toffolo, Bostwick etc, the same Board that allowed DC to cover every single position in the January transfer windows of our NL and L2 title winning seasons, the same Board who found money for Walker after DC's moans about the budget as the season got closer at Scunthorpe, the same Board who allowed MA to sign Tom Hopper in January on a 3.5 year deal and the same Board who are handing out 3 year deals to signings and the same Board who backed MA with Bridcutt, signed an ex-Championship CB etc etc

If there's one thing we can never accuse Clive and the Board of, it's scrimping and cutting corners, doing things on the cheap.

The cap is £2.5m anyway, which I suspect is sustainable for us anyway given the attendances we get. I'd also imagine last seasons budget was higher than that, so there was always going to be high earner movement in any event.

I think these days most transfers at our levels are transactionless

he was more old school and also prone to the odd rush of blood to the head.

I think we are a 2018 shackle a 2018 Gilks and 2006 Forester short of comfortable mid table.

Harry I think will stay as will Grant I think that was the last of the blood letting

I feel we have let him go as we have already secured a replacement

Ma will have a plan im sure he's in constant dialect with the board. I think the fans need to realise its not only a sport but a business a sustainable club especially at present is a happy club. Would you rather be in maccs bolton or wigans shoes
Cian i thought always put in a big effort yet had a mistake in him lets face it most do at this level. I wish him well and hopefully the replacement is even better

In my opinion, I think we look to have recruited quite well in the defensive and midfield areas so far, though this is without kicking a ball in anger obviously. I said a week or so ago that we need someone to put the ball in the back of the net. If we can get that to take some of the pressure off Hopper and Scully we should have enough about us to be competitive and still be a League One club for 21/22.

In my opinion, I think we look to have recruited quite well in the defensive and midfield areas so far, though this is without kicking a ball in anger obviously. I said a week or so ago that we need someone to put the ball in the back of the net. If we can get that to take some of the pressure off Hopper and Scully we should have enough about us to be competitive and still be a League One club for 21/22.
Absolutely bang on with that (y)

If I'm being honest, I find that comment hugely disrespectful to Clive and the Board. To suggest they're intent on spending as little as possible goes completely against the work they've done off the pitch in the last four years, which was on par with that DC/NC did on it.

Clive in particular went above and beyond to enable us to get the Cowley's here to start with and who also gave them free reign to re-build the backroom staff. Without Clive and the Board, we'd not have been able to get Raggett despite the, in our position now, fairly low outlay. It was just money we didn't have at the time. The same Board who allowed DC to break our transfer record, the same one who allowed DC to sign the likes of Shackell, Frecklington, Toffolo, Bostwick etc, the same Board that allowed DC to cover every single position in the January transfer windows of our NL and L2 title winning seasons, the same Board who found money for Walker after DC's moans about the budget as the season got closer at Scunthorpe, the same Board who allowed MA to sign Tom Hopper in January on a 3.5 year deal and the same Board who are handing out 3 year deals to signings and the same Board who backed MA with Bridcutt, signed an ex-Championship CB etc etc

If there's one thing we can never accuse Clive and the Board of, it's scrimping and cutting corners, doing things on the cheap.

The cap is £2.5m anyway, which I suspect is sustainable for us anyway given the attendances we get. I'd also imagine last seasons budget was higher than that, so there was always going to be high earner movement in any event.

Exactly ! And what did Raggett do for us? More or less paid for the training ground with that goal against Burnley thats what !

Too much negativity around IMO, I like MApp and I like the squad he is building.

Liam Bridcutt amongst others is a statement of intent in what are very difficult times in every industry and every household.

Exactly ! And what did Raggett do for us? More or less paid for the training ground with that goal against Burnley thats what !

Too much negativity around IMO, I like MApp and I like the squad he is building.

Liam Bridcutt amongst others is a statement of intent in what are very difficult times in every industry and every household.
This: those complaining about MA's signings, look no further than Bridcutt. Bozzie was the marquee signing for the first L2 season, a great experienced L1/L2 player and leader by example.

Bridcutt is similar, albeit with Premiership and Championship experience - a serious upgrade.

Times are strange but the Imps are well set for these strange times, the remaining signings for the forthcoming season will be complementary to the overall financial and performance objectives

The last pieces of the jigsaw, apart from the second (first choice?) GK, are the most difficult to find and take time to land. Still 3 weeks to ko and a lot longer until the transfer window " slams shut!!!".

Yep not a chance of challenging for anything.
Pretty much all the high earners gone but that also mean pretty much all the good (and very good) players gone.
But that is Appleton's remit.
Keep us in League 1 using the lowest paid set players we can get away with and hope that one or two do actually prove good and sell them on.
Fair enough.
Survive, survive again, and as time goes by gradually out-finance others who overspend and get into big trouble.
There is so much that I would like to say about this post Buckie, but may I ask you just two questions?

a) Do you really believe that Lincoln City have no good players? Tayo Edun? Liam Bridcutt? Harry Anderson? Aaron Lewis? Jorge Grant? Lewis Montsma? Timothy Eyoma? Adam Jackson? Conor McGrandles? Anthony Scully? James Jones? etc

b) If so, is there anything else you can do on a Saturday afternoon?

Edit: permit me a third question - were you watching prior to 17 January 2017?