Ban on the Black Country dialect | Page 4 | Vital Football

Ban on the Black Country dialect

NI Villan - 15/11/2013 13:15

Villan Of The North - 15/11/2013 13:09

Did you read the article? It said "Black country dialect" because it was a Black country school. The reason no other dialect was highlighted was that it was an article on a school in the area that they speak the Black country dialect.

Had the article been generally about use of dialects in schools then I would be with you 100% but it was specifically about the way things are done in this one school.

I will make my position clear:- Dialects should not be taught or allowed in the classroom. I see daily evidence of the difficulties allowing dialect use in the classroom causes as I live in a country where dialects are far more common that good old accents, where grown men, otherwise reasonable educated, can not coherently communicate with officialdom.
Dialects are a wonderful and rich part of our heritage but the classroom is not the place for them, where the teacher has the responsibility to teach correct grammar.

Think I've got it now. So, what you're saying is you don't like Clives accent? :56:

NI Vill you wanna start talking about accents ay :5: are you sure ya bugger :13:

Im gonna be onest not sure what dialect meant tbh i thought accent was the same thing as dialect, if im right dialect is me saying ''om gooin down the shops for sum cerks'' meaning im going down the shops for some cakes if this is right then there is no way they will eradicate this nor any other area's as its so widely used and by so many people, my mrs is a secratery she has to put an act on the phone when talking to clients she says cos her boss did not want her speaking our accent etc which to me is bad there are many countries in the world thet do not change there ways and accents so why should we history and heritage should be that and we should know our roots i feel.

thats exactly it clive....

if someone from the black country said to someone from another place 'ive got a hoss' they wouldn't know what the hell a hoss was...

if a brummie said bostin, a welsh person said cwtch, a manc said balm cake etc not everyone would know what they were saying :35:

Barney2004 - 15/11/2013 13:26

if someone from the black country said to someone from another place 'ive got a hoss' they wouldn't know what the hell a hoss was...

if a brummie said bostin, a welsh person said cwtch, a manc said balm cake etc not everyone would know what they were saying :35:

Im learning so much on this site its like learning online courses, feel really clever and proud now of myself :73:

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 13:30

Barney2004 - 15/11/2013 13:26

Im learning so much on this site its like learning online courses, feel really clever and proud now of myself :73:

and so you should :13: haha.

im glad you know what we meant now...

I think lot of dialect comes from old English, and perhaps like Clive says about Shakespeare.
One (that i've just learned comes from old english) is when scots and geordies call babies 'bairns.' From my experiences I dont even think they use the word baby up there at all.

I'd be interested to know what the teachers call babies in schools up there.

I learn something new everyday which is good tbh lol trouble is that that much i need to learn that so many take for basics and im being serious lol

Yeah James i didn't know about Shakespear somehow my Mrs did (which i will be reminded of for a long time btw) i think round these parts there is a lot of old fashoined lifestyle embeded in upbringing and i feel sorry that this is under theater but in todays modern hussle bussle world even my mrs has had to put an act on to keep a job lol

James06 - 15/11/2013 14:32

I think lot of dialect comes from old English, and perhaps like Clive says about Shakespeare.
One (that i've just learned comes from old english) is when scots and geordies call babies 'bairns.' From my experiences I dont even think they use the word baby up there at all.

I'd be interested to know what the teachers call babies in schools up there.

I believe "bairn" comes from the Scandinavian. Child in Norwegian is "barn" and in Danish is "børn" (ø is not the same as o, it is pronounced " "eu" or like the French for water.

It wont die out Clive, it's just about teaching kids that it's not correct, a bit like swearing I suppose? Down the pub or the football it's all fair game, it's just about being understood widely - liek you missus has to.

I looked on Wiki Ian, on there it said old english - that's probably where your horn hat wearing, bearded fellas pilfered it from as well.

Yeah James the world i buisness is global i get that, but when i read the word ''ban'' that made me a bit peeved off tbh im proud to talk funny tbh lol but been saving for my kids over the past few years to be able to go to university when they are older so they can get away from these area's we live in and be better cleverer people in life so maybe they will lose there accents or words slang anyway if they end up moving area's but no way will it be eradicated in public places lol thats what iw as on about like its seen as a virus hehe

James06 - 15/11/2013 14:47

It wont die out Clive, it's just about teaching kids that it's not correct, a bit like swearing I suppose? Down the pub or the football it's all fair game, it's just about being understood widely - liek you missus has to.

I looked on Wiki Ian, on there it said old english - that's probably where your horn hat wearing, bearded fellas pilfered it from as well.

Interestingly, if you look at old English there are a lot of similarities to the old Scando languages too, they were far closer back then that they are today. I believe it has been said that 1000 years ago the English and the Vikings could communicate quite well when not trying to kill each other.

I watched a program on ancient Vikings the other night where so little is knew about them, they was a clever race they were the first settlements that had a court of law like today and they did not believe in one ruler deciding everything so they had votes and all the people used to meet to decide on decions made very clever, also they set up trade in many far out places like we do today, and there accent is embeded in ours from when they came over here so we may all be very much scandenavians more so than we realise in our everyday life, oh and the Vikings was the first to findNorthern America not Columbus as old buildings and things of the Vikings have been found in the USA proving this,

Off subject i know but thought i would share.

And contrary to popular belief they didn't have horns on their helmets.

Also, the word they use for 'cheers' - Skol comes from when they used to defeat an enemy, chop the top of their heads off and use the top half of the skull to drink from - they'd hold it up and shout 'SKOL'

villawill - 15/11/2013 23:29

Also, the word they use for 'cheers' - Skol comes from when they used to defeat an enemy, chop the top of their heads off and use the top half of the skull to drink from - they'd hold it up and shout 'SKOL'

No wonder it tastes so bad.

Villan Of The North - 15/11/2013 14:03

Interestingly, if you look at old English there are a lot of similarities to the old Scando languages too, they were far closer back then that they are today. I believe it has been said that 1000 years ago the English and the Vikings could communicate quite well when not trying to kill each other.

I think starting that paragraph with the word interesting was a bit of an oxymoron!! :5:

villawill - 15/11/2013 14:29

Now i never knew that, they was clever but brutal babarians wasn't they, so then that advert when they all sing ''Skol Skol Skol'' is celebrating people's heads cut off :10: :10: :10:

[youtube=On0IImHTTNY]