Ban on the Black Country dialect | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ban on the Black Country dialect

Thing is Clive, before globalisation it didnt matter so much. Go back a few hundreds years and people in the south wouldnt have had a clue what people in the north were saying, cornish had a seperate language altogether, as did the celts. But the world has become a tiny place since then.

I work for an italian subsidary of a german company that as recently been aquired by Finns. I feel I have a duty to speak english properly to these people, infact I feel guilty (albeit much more thankful) that they have to speak English to me in order for me to understand. The least I can do is speak english the way it is meant and the way it is taught.

As I said, accents are great, even unique words to use amongst friends. But mispronouncing words or shortening them to the point of them being unrecognisable is lazy and silly IMO, and when talking to people from outside a region: it's rude.

I've been in shops and pubs in wales (for example) and noticed people turn from English to Welsh language when they hear I'm english - I turned and walked out. I didnt think to myself that they were being quirky locals or thankful to them for their quaint ways, mining traditions or for fighting in wars - I just thought they were rude.

We've all been in situations where we're somewhere new or different and the locals make sure you know it. With a cheeky local gag or just because they're being dickheads:
''ooh arr, did you hear this dave, this young lad wants to know where the post office is, the post office I ask you! well sonny jimmy me lad, now that is a question isnt it? the post office eh? that be donityeruparnyet then eh?''
''what?!!''
''Dave the post post office for this young out of towner? It's donityeripnyet?''
''Eye that'll be right Mick, donityeripnyet since 1811 when old John left his sheep in the coal bunker for 4 day''
''Forget it you c**ts''

I did actually once innocently confused a southener when giving directions, telling him to 'go straight on at the island.' I had no idea that 'island' was a brummie word for roundabout, i thought everyone said it. I blame my parents!! lol

James i will just give you an example of its alright saying something but doing it is a total different thing our kid,

Jan Molby is Norwegian,Thomas 'Der' Hammer Hitzlesperger is German right, what happand to there accents when they moved to Birmingham and Liverpool? They changed to a Scouse and Brummie accent if they had moved to the Black Country they would have picked up a Black Country accent mate, i find all this thing singling out my Black Country accent very futile tbh its happans all over the country look at them Yorkshire folk ''Am Jus Goin Ta Sho'' i can not understand them as i had a mate from Sheffield its all over the country not just here LOL

Anyway each tot here own im sorry some of you find an accent thats as old as these parts so offensive tbh its a shame but i suppose so many today want to try and change evrything thats old fashioned as such to fit there own preferences

P.S maybe not everybody wants to work in sales or meet italians etc we are famous for the engineering revolution round these parts many of my family helped build many things but like everything else it doesn't matter now lest all be shirt and ties jobs and speak proper but i say this ''just because some of you think its unproper to speak my accent maybe its yourselves that have the problem?'' live and let live i have always say.

Barney2004 - 15/11/2013 11:23

i employ people to work in care homes... i dont employ people that i cant understand, for the simple fact, if i cant understand them then how will a 90 year old with hearing problems understand them, or someone with learning dissabilites...

Erm well don't employ a scouse yorkshire man welsh man and geordie's etc etc sorry mate this has nothing to do specific to do with my accent i find people trying to talk ''posh'' hard to understand i think we should stop that they pronounce things weird and wrong :14:

There's a difference between dialect and accent, Clive.

No one's trying to wipe out accents, but most definitely kids should be corrected on their grammar if they are speaking incorrectly (local dialect) at school - English is the international language and children from England should be taught the correct grammar

Clive it's nothing to do with accents mate, it's about dialect.

Just for the record too, the part italian, part german, part finnish company I work for is based in Dudley, most of the people I work with are from that area.

But i have already said this thread is pointless as i nor anybody i have ever known write yam yam or the wya we pronounce words can not be changed lads i was taught at school passed all my NVQ's City and Guilds worked in posh talking offices but yet my accent or dialetc remains the germans i used to pick up from the airport luv'd my accent Claus who was one of the worlds leading engineers at the time 99/00 said never change your accent and ways its brilliant

P.S so KK has put a thread up mentioning balck country dialect but what about Yorkshire dialect then LOL

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 11:45

i employ people to work in care homes... i dont employ people that i cant understand, for the simple fact, if i cant understand them then how will a 90 year old with hearing problems understand them, or someone with learning dissabilites...

Erm well don't employ a scouse yorkshire man welsh man and geordie's etc etc sorry mate this has nothing to do specific to do with my accent i find people trying to talk ''posh'' hard to understand i think we should stop that they pronounce things weird and wrong :14:

its not about the accent clive, its about the slang which people use in everyday life which other people from different place wont understand.

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 11:56

But i have already said this thread is pointless as i nor anybody i have ever known write yam yam or the wya we pronounce words can not be changed lads i was taught at school passed all my NVQ's City and Guilds worked in posh talking offices but yet my accent or dialetc remains the germans i used to pick up from the airport luv'd my accent Claus who was one of the worlds leading engineers at the time 99/00 said never change your accent and ways its brilliant

yeah, accent, not dialect. I can perfectly understand people with broad accents, dialects can sound like a different language

Barney2004 - 15/11/2013 11:57

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 11:45

its not about the accent clive, its about the slang which people use in everyday life which other people from different place wont understand.

So now you are understanding me when i said this isn't about just the Black Country dialect but every other one also like the Yorkshire one saying ''Am Jus Gooin ta sho'' thats is difficult to understand aswell and so every other accent and there dialect is and was my point our kid this is what i was on about :14:

I will just add William Shakespere spoke with a black country accent been reading a few intersting things on this and his work and scripts came from his accent so maybe you lot do not like Shakesperian plays ;)

I think anybody has the right and freedom to speak how they like, i will be more intersted to find would you not employ an asian or indian man that has a very strong asian accent on top of there english which makes it hard for them to understand?

i dont care if they are black country, scouse , yorkshire, manc , welsh, african, jamacian, indian, pakistani etc. If i cant understand them when they talk to me, then i wont be placing them into a care home to work with my clients because the clients who are elderly or have learning dissabilities will also not beable to understand them. and i think that comment is fair enough. I have managers from care homes ring every day asking me to look for staff for them, and 9 times out of ten when i close the call, the manager will always say, 'Lee, please send someone that we can understand and that can speak plain english'.

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 12:26

I will just add William Shakespere spoke with a black country accent been reading a few intersting things on this and his work and scripts came from his accent so maybe you lot do not like Shakesperian plays ;)

I think anybody has the right and freedom to speak how they like, i will be more intersted to find would you not employ an asian or indian man that has a very strong asian accent on top of there english which makes it hard for them to understand?

This topic has nothing to do with accents Clive, it's about dialects but you either keep confusing the 2 or think they are the same thing. They're not.

.... and as they are the ones that are paying good money for those staff, they have a right to say that.

I ain't bothered what any individual thinks of what i speak or if somebody won't employ somebody for the reason they think or want, lets be honest some employers are sexiest rascist etc so its all the same to me bit like discrimination

This thread is dead to me now ive said more than i wanted to give a silly thread like this its light of day tbh

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 12:19

mike_field - 15/11/2013 01:38

Wor yam takin te pis ain't ya.

To be fair correcting language for a school is right, English is English and whilst nobody insists on the 'Queens' speech kids need to be taught to wrote and spoke proper.

Not to spoke proper is just laxy.

Hopefully we'll no longer have kids aksing for things either.

The final sentence says it all for me, I don't have a problum really. I'd question the parents being so twattish if the school is being snobbish.

They are there to educate and level the playing field, you talk in a different language at home, you talk in slang to friends, you use local dialect when appropriate. In school you speak properly, write properly and learn because that's how you git a job.

Your talking out of your backside mate :6: Have i upset the Randy Lerner brigade so my Black Country accent is being talked down upon i wonder :3: :19:

Listen here words on this screen knocking and mocking my accent means nothing in reality does it, i think the yorkshire accent is difficult to understand so too geordie but i respect there heritage i don't want to lose my accent its my heritage some of you are very double standards though i do not here people mocking pakistani accents or chinese should they lose there accents when learning english :3:

Do you understand the difference between dialect and accent Clive? No one is trying to ban an accent (well, except maybe for Lee :17: ) but dialect is about the use of worlds not the way they are pronounced.

clive if im honest mate i just think you are picking things out of our comments and taking it to heart.... read the thread properly and then go and look up the difference between the words dialect and accent and then you may have a bit of a better understanding.

Villan Of The North - 15/11/2013 12:37

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 12:19

mike_field - 15/11/2013 01:38

Wor yam takin te pis ain't ya.

To be fair correcting language for a school is right, English is English and whilst nobody insists on the 'Queens' speech kids need to be taught to wrote and spoke proper.

Not to spoke proper is just laxy.

Hopefully we'll no longer have kids aksing for things either.

The final sentence says it all for me, I don't have a problum really. I'd question the parents being so twattish if the school is being snobbish.

They are there to educate and level the playing field, you talk in a different language at home, you talk in slang to friends, you use local dialect when appropriate. In school you speak properly, write properly and learn because that's how you git a job.

Your talking out of your backside mate :6: Have i upset the Randy Lerner brigade so my Black Country accent is being talked down upon i wonder :3: :19:

Listen here words on this screen knocking and mocking my accent means nothing in reality does it, i think the yorkshire accent is difficult to understand so too geordie but i respect there heritage i don't want to lose my accent its my heritage some of you are very double standards though i do not here people mocking pakistani accents or chinese should they lose there accents when learning english :3:

Do you understand the difference between dialect and accent Clive? No one is trying to ban an accent (well, except maybe for Lee :17: ) but dialect is about the use of worlds not the way they are pronounced.

im not trying to ban an accent, im simply just saying i cant put people into care homes that managers and clients cant understand. How would you feel if you had an elderly reletive in a home surrounded by people she couldn't understand?