Ban on the Black Country dialect | Page 3 | Vital Football

Ban on the Black Country dialect

I ain't giving a thread like this the time of day tbh Barn lad, i have been chuckling at how nobody is mentioning the iuse of words or ''dialect'' of other accents as i have mentioned over and over lol the yorkshire one is one of the hardest to grasp imo

Villan Of The North - 15/11/2013 12:37

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 12:19

mike_field - 15/11/2013 01:38

Wor yam takin te pis ain't ya.

To be fair correcting language for a school is right, English is English and whilst nobody insists on the 'Queens' speech kids need to be taught to wrote and spoke proper.

Not to spoke proper is just laxy.

Hopefully we'll no longer have kids aksing for things either.

The final sentence says it all for me, I don't have a problum really. I'd question the parents being so twattish if the school is being snobbish.

They are there to educate and level the playing field, you talk in a different language at home, you talk in slang to friends, you use local dialect when appropriate. In school you speak properly, write properly and learn because that's how you git a job.

Your talking out of your backside mate :6: Have i upset the Randy Lerner brigade so my Black Country accent is being talked down upon i wonder :3: :19:

Listen here words on this screen knocking and mocking my accent means nothing in reality does it, i think the yorkshire accent is difficult to understand so too geordie but i respect there heritage i don't want to lose my accent its my heritage some of you are very double standards though i do not here people mocking pakistani accents or chinese should they lose there accents when learning english :3:

Do you understand the difference between dialect and accent Clive? No one is trying to ban an accent (well, except maybe for Lee :17: ) but dialect is about the use of worlds not the way they are pronounced.

TBH VOTN dude i trhink anybody has the right to use whichever words they like i thought this was a free country or are we all bound by rules which i have not yet come across, if somebody does not like something my response is ''so what'' there are many things i dislike but i just accpet if somebody talks a certain way and uses words a certain way its up to them who are we to tell anybody what to speak like just because people who do not say and talk like this get confused or dislike it is my question? :14:

Good Barn i prefer to talk about the broad dialects of accents and words used rather than just Black Country tbh which was all i was making a point of dude but this thread has highlighted a specific dialect which i saiid is futile as there are many and will never work too many people use the ''slang'' in any area and its been used for many centuries

Barney2004 - 15/11/2013 13:39

To be fair correcting language for a school is right, English is English and whilst nobody insists on the 'Queens' speech kids need to be taught to wrote and spoke proper.

The final sentence says it all for me, I don't have a problum really. I'd question the parents being so twattish if the school is being snobbish.

They are there to educate and level the playing field, you talk in a different language at home, you talk in slang to friends, you use local dialect when appropriate. In school you speak properly, write properly and learn because that's how you git a job.

Your talking out of your backside mate :6: Have i upset the Randy Lerner brigade so my Black Country accent is being talked down upon i wonder :3: :19:

Listen here words on this screen knocking and mocking my accent means nothing in reality does it, i think the yorkshire accent is difficult to understand so too geordie but i respect there heritage i don't want to lose my accent its my heritage some of you are very double standards though i do not here people mocking pakistani accents or chinese should they lose there accents when learning english :3:

Do you understand the difference between dialect and accent Clive? No one is trying to ban an accent (well, except maybe for Lee :17: ) but dialect is about the use of worlds not the way they are pronounced.

im not trying to ban an accent, im simply just saying i cant put people into care homes that managers and clients cant understand. How would you feel if you had an elderly reletive in a home surrounded by people she couldn't understand?

I know Lee, hence the smiley face - it was moire a reference to your comment about it being a horrible accent.

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 13:43

TBH VOTN dude i trhink anybody has the right to use whichever words they like i thought this was a free country or are we all bound by rules which i have not yet come across, if somebody does not like something my response is ''so what'' there are many things i dislike but i just accpet if somebody talks a certain way and uses words a certain way its up to them who are we to tell anybody what to speak like just because people who do not say and talk like this get confused or dislike it is my question? :14:

I think you've missed the point of the thread then Clive as this thread was about use of the language in schools and if you don't think it's the job of English language teachers to teach the correct use of the English language language then just what do you thing that English language teachers should be teaching? It has nothing to do with judging people, it has to do with educating them.

Villan Of The North - 15/11/2013 12:47

Barney2004 - 15/11/2013 13:39

im not trying to ban an accent, im simply just saying i cant put people into care homes that managers and clients cant understand. How would you feel if you had an elderly reletive in a home surrounded by people she couldn't understand?

I know Lee, hence the smiley face - it was moire a reference to your comment about it being a horrible accent.

i knew what you meant mate, my reply probably came across as a bit arsey but it wasn't meant like that :35:

and i was joking with the horrible comment ;)

No problem with the school doing this... As they say you should use professional terms in the classroom and talk how you want in the playground. You shouldn't be saying " I cor do it" or " I day do this" or " What am yow doing" whilst being situated in a classroom where they teach English. It's not right and it's not queens English. It's not about accent, it's about dialect and there is a time and a place to use it. I cringe at work when I hear people calling patients, " cocka" and stuff like that, just no need for it.

I think I speak fairly well, none of my family really have an accent. If I got abroad, people normally recognise I'm from the Midlands but never know where. They think it's somewhere else than Birmingham. I reckon it's due to growing up in Great Barr. Great Barr is in the middle of everywhere in Birmingham. You have Birmingham City centre one way, Walsall to the other, the Black Country the other and Sutton Coldfield also. So I think accents don't really grow that much in Great Barr. My other half has a Black Country accent. He's from Wednesbury and he used this dialect too much when talking to me and I didn't like it so he's actually grown out of doing it now. That and he has to be quite professional when at work. He hasn't lost the accent, it's still Black Country but he doesn't say " cor" or " yam" or other stuff like that.

It's not just the black country dialect - i was chatting to my mate who's a science teacher in a secondary school in London - they have banned 'street talk' or slang in the school he teaches in - if any of the kids talk to the teachers using street slang, they are asked to repeat it properly

But VOTN dude it was clearly put ''BLACK COUNTRY ACCENT'' which to me said my accent and heritage, maybe we don't want anybody ''educating'' us as they think they are, to me its a load of bollox anyway ive met people all over and they luv my accent and how i use words they alwyas say its fascinating and have many a chat on holiday work traveling the country laffing and joking about it with other people that use different words this is just not going to change anything because we are all different but some people struggle to accept this i find but more don't and are happy to respect people for who they really are and from its all called freedom of speech ;)

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 13:54

But VOTN dude it was clearly put ''BLACK COUNTRY ACCENT'' which to me said my accent and heritage, maybe we don't want anybody ''educating'' us as they think they are, to me its a load of bollox anyway ive met people all over and they luv my accent and how i use words they alwyas say its fascinating and have many a chat on holiday work traveling the country laffing and joking about it with other people that use different words this is just not going to change anything because we are all different but some people struggle to accept this i find but more don't and are happy to respect people for who they really are and from its all called freedom of speech ;)

Sorry Clive but you're just coming across as petulant now, you've taken personal offence at something, not because it was offensive but because you misunderstood it. The thread title clearly says DIALECT not accent. As for not wanting to be educated, ok so don't send your kids to school then, they won't thank you for it in the long run.

I once nearly got in trouble tbh lol we was on holiday just bought my mrs an engagement ring from Crete in Stalis we was in the bar and the waitress who was one of the most beutiful women i have ever seen looked like cleopatra the old film version honest gorgeous and we got chatting and she was fascinated by my accent and use of words how i said words and there meanings we got on that well from this my mrs went walking off in a strop and had to choose do i stay and take up where Alannah said she lived in aflat nearby and when she finished shifts lol we got on so well but i made a bad decision and went walking after the mrs damn it lol i was tempted to ask for a threesome but thought maybe the timing of it just getting engaged in the past 24 hours was a bit too soon ;)

Oh dear VOTN call me what youy will my good man, i come across more than that online old chap i hate trying to explain something on here in depth not very good tbh, but i will try one last time anyway as i do like you dude,

All i was ''trying'' to point out was the title of the thread is ''Black country dialect'' which i was pointing out saying no other dialect is mentioned which i found strange becasue every area has there own do they not? Anyway i tried to explain myself take it as you will dude.

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 14:02

Oh dear VOTN call me what youy will my good man, i come across more than that online old chap i hate trying to explain something on here in depth not very good tbh, but i will try one last time anyway as i do like you dude,

All i was ''trying'' to point out was the title of the thread is ''Black country dialect'' which i was pointing out saying no other dialect is mentioned which i found strange becasue every area has there own do they not? Anyway i tried to explain myself take it as you will dude.

Did you read the article? It said "Black country dialect" because it was a Black country school. The reason no other dialect was highlighted was that it was an article on a school in the area that they speak the Black country dialect.

Had the article been generally about use of dialects in schools then I would be with you 100% but it was specifically about the way things are done in this one school.

I will make my position clear:- Dialects should not be taught or allowed in the classroom. I see daily evidence of the difficulties allowing dialect use in the classroom causes as I live in a country where dialects are far more common that good old accents, where grown men, otherwise reasonable educated, can not coherently communicate with officialdom.
Dialects are a wonderful and rich part of our heritage but the classroom is not the place for them, where the teacher has the responsibility to teach correct grammar.

ClivetheVillan - 15/11/2013 12:40

I ain't giving a thread like this the time of day tbh Barn lad, i have been chuckling at how nobody is mentioning the iuse of words or ''dialect'' of other accents as i have mentioned over and over lol the yorkshire one is one of the hardest to grasp imo

Just for the record I mentioned Welsh, Cornish, Southern, Brummie and Celt in my post earlier.

Dont take it to heart Clive.

Villan Of The North - 15/11/2013 13:09

Did you read the article? It said "Black country dialect" because it was a Black country school. The reason no other dialect was highlighted was that it was an article on a school in the area that they speak the Black country dialect.

Had the article been generally about use of dialects in schools then I would be with you 100% but it was specifically about the way things are done in this one school.

I will make my position clear:- Dialects should not be taught or allowed in the classroom. I see daily evidence of the difficulties allowing dialect use in the classroom causes as I live in a country where dialects are far more common that good old accents, where grown men, otherwise reasonable educated, can not coherently communicate with officialdom.
Dialects are a wonderful and rich part of our heritage but the classroom is not the place for them, where the teacher has the responsibility to teach correct grammar.

Think I've got it now. So, what you're saying is you don't like Clives accent? :56:

James not taking to heart our kid this is juts a thread i wish i had not even bothered reading about tbh just it mentioned something about i am and my family talk like should have just said ''meh''