Ban on the Black Country dialect | Page 9 | Vital Football

Ban on the Black Country dialect

I used to work with a fella who would come into work and say 'ow bist?' to which the reply apparently was 'bay too ba' which I used to play along with. I used to take the piss out of him though of course, I remember him saying about 'gettin mar coat' to which I'd always say 'mark who?'

The boss of the company was an old school posh boy, and he assumed this bloke was thick, he even said to me about how we''d have to change the voicemail message on the phone system as this lad had done it and he sounded like a div.

The yammer bloke left in the end for pastures new. He's now a finance director at a multinational, he's qualified to the highest level and a member of MENSA (in the top 5% most intelligent people in the UK.) The old boss who didnt give him the time of day because of his accent was fired and became unemployable - he's now in early retirement hoping his funds will last.

All that said the bloke didnt use dialect in business, just when pissing about with me in the office. The boss was a tool for judging him on his accent of course - but it's proof that it does happen - so if you get kids to speak proper english it does give them the best opportunity.

It's like turning up for an interview looking scruffy - it doesnt mean you arent the best candidate, and it shouldnt matter overall, but it does, and it will affect your chances.

Well if they were spelling words in Black Country dialect they must be clever buggers but as that school is in Cradeley I doubt it.If anyone has read Aynuck and Ayli in the Black Country Bugle they will know what I mean it's hard trying to read it let alone spell it.

gator - 18/11/2013 11:37

Well if they were spelling words in Black Country dialect they must be clever buggers but as that school is in Cradeley I doubt it.If anyone has read Aynuck and Ayli in the Black Country Bugle they will know what I mean it's hard trying to read it let alone spell it.

Clive must be a clever bugger then, most of his posts are written in Black Country! :17:

James06 - 18/11/2013 11:40

Clive must be a clever bugger then, most of his posts are written in Black Country! :17:
:1: :1: :1:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/innit-and-izzit-wont-get-you-a-job-sixthformers-get-a-lesson-in-slang-from-london-mayoral-hopeful-david-lammy-8948985.html

Young people should stop using slang words such as “innit” and “izzit” if they ever want to get a job, says London mayoral contender David Lammy.

James06 - 18/11/2013 11:40

Why thank you James :7: compared to Joey Essex off celebrity jungle im shakespeare reincarnated our kid :14:

mike_field - 19/11/2013 11:56

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/innit-and-izzit-wont-get-you-a-job-sixthformers-get-a-lesson-in-slang-from-london-mayoral-hopeful-david-lammy-8948985.html

Young people should stop using slang words such as “innit” and “izzit” if they ever want to get a job, says London mayoral contender David Lammy.

This is what I was on about before the whole country should not be letting kids write slang, saying it is ok in the right places round family etc but I admitted when going for jobs I put it on a bit like I talked posher to get the job, but some talked more slang than me the gaffers I worked for that was funny :10:

OFSTED in trouble for saying a teacher should curb her Northern accent: So it isn't just Black Country. Fo all who live in the North, (as I do) please read the link as well. Not my words)

................................................................................................................

Ofsted inspector tells Cumbrian teacher working in Berkshire school to sound 'more southern' and makes changing her accent an official target

A teacher has been instructed by her school to lose her northern accent and sound ‘more southern’.
The woman, who works at a secondary school in West Berkshire, was told to focus on ‘sounding less Cumbrian’ as one of her official performance targets by her bosses.
The order apparently came after an Ofsted inspector made a comment about her accent.

Continued at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509203/Cumbrian-teacher-working-Berkshire-school-told-sound-southern-Ofsted-inspector.html

Thing is us nicely spoken people can't understand wtf you commoners are on about if you talk in dialect and as we have to pay your wages for the cleaning and other crap you do, the least we expect is to be able to understand why you say 'yes sir' and 'thank you sir'

Not too much to ask for for just under the minimum wage is it?

:2: