Aston Villa vs Stoke City Sat 15th Dec 3pm | Page 13 | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Stoke City Sat 15th Dec 3pm

Got to sdy, left VillacPark today, very cold, very wet very frustrated and very flat.

From the moment we arrived it was flat. Hardly any singing, hardly even any shouting.

And it was the same on the pitch, just flat, pedestrian, if you like , Bruce type - slow meaningless passes with no movement.

So many players had off days and we really missed Grealish today because there were large passages of play where there wasnt a single player, Villa or Stoke, in the middle of the pitch.

Hutton and Nyland agajn at fault for the first, Elmo, god knows what he was doing for the second, and Tammy n Bolassie just ran down alleys as Mcginn n Hourihane were anonymous.

And then, after a season where Hourigane, McGinn and Grealish have put so many superb set pieces in, resulting in goals, who do we put on corners and free kicks - Glen bloody Whelan !!.

And some how, mainly down to Kodjia I have to say , we get it back to 2-2 somehow and you think "hang on, I reckon we can win this" and whaf happens ? Smith uses the Lambert and Bruce tactic if throw all the forwards on and it just killed any momentum.

Just VERY frustrrated by it all to be honest. That could bevthe last we see of Grealish because ang agent wirth theie salt would have a clause that if we are not top 6 by Jan, he can go.

MOTM - well lets be frank, it was Joe Allen, but Villa wise, it was Kodjia - and how long was he on ? - says it all.

I wasn't impressed with him at all today, I think they have the same player in Joe Allen , they seem to both want to sit in front of the Stoke back 4

Not sure I agree r.e Joe Allen. He was getting into our box plenty. Arriving late . We had two warnings before his goal. And then he nearly did it again before we equalised.

Know what you mean about Woods though. I saw him play a couple of games ago on tv and thought he was alot deeper than I remember he was for Brentford under Smith. I would say that's down to his current manager .

Pleased to nick a point at the end of the 90mins. We were far from our best today but have no doubt that we would have lost that early in the season. If we can play below par yet still get something from the game that's a good sign. Stoke impressed me today to be fair and they'll be in the mix come the end of the season. Nine unbeaten for them. After saying that, it's 7 unbeaten for us and that's in a difficult run of fixtures. Turn those draws into wins and we'll edge towards the top 2. Just can't see Norwich maintaining their form and the fact that Fulham only had 29 points this time last year gives us all hope. Some interesting comments in the thread tonight...one point being we'd struggle in the Prem and we would benefit with yet another bloody year 'building' in the championship. What that poster seems to forget is that Tony Xia is no longer the owner of the club. He would have been if we'd gone up last season because he could have hidden behind the money we'd have had in the Prem so I'm thankful in hindsight that Bruce set up so negatively in the play off. Go up this season and we're backed by owners who are not hampered by financial restrictions which will enable us to spend plenty and add to the talent we have with a coaching set up that is infinitely better equipped with quality additions to cope with the demands of the prem....'be careful what you wish for'....nah, three years in the championship is enough for our great club thanks.
Kind Regards to all, Langoe66.

Got to sdy, left VillacPark today, very cold, very wet very frustrated and very flat.

From the moment we arrived it was flat. Hardly any singing, hardly even any shouting.

And it was the same on the pitch, just flat, pedestrian, if you like , Bruce type - slow meaningless passes with no movement.

So many players had off days and we really missed Grealish today because there were large passages of play where there wasnt a single player, Villa or Stoke, in the middle of the pitch.

Hutton and Nyland agajn at fault for the first, Elmo, god knows what he was doing for the second, and Tammy n Bolassie just ran down alleys as Mcginn n Hourihane were anonymous.

And then, after a season where Hourigane, McGinn and Grealish have put so many superb set pieces in, resulting in goals, who do we put on corners and free kicks - Glen bloody Whelan !!.

And some how, mainly down to Kodjia I have to say , we get it back to 2-2 somehow and you think "hang on, I reckon we can win this" and whaf happens ? Smith uses the Lambert and Bruce tactic if throw all the forwards on and it just killed any momentum.

Just VERY frustrrated by it all to be honest. That could bevthe last we see of Grealish because ang agent wirth theie salt would have a clause that if we are not top 6 by Jan, he can go.

MOTM - well lets be frank, it was Joe Allen, but Villa wise, it was Kodjia - and how long was he on ? - says it all.

Wow.....HL suggesting we missed Grealish.....there's a first! Think it shows how much we've improved under Smith because whilst it was a flat performance in many ways it wasn't that bad was it? Nyland at fault for the first goal? Sorry he's made some howlers but can't pin the blame on him for that one...and as for Smith 'throwing all the forwards on like Bruce' he brought JK on who changed the bloody game and tried to win it by bringing Hogan on. That was refreshing for me. Bruce only lumped forwards on if we were losing. Safety first if we were winning or drawing! Nah...positive substitutions which affected the result and long may it continue.

If any one wondered just how our midfield would fare without Grealish think we have our answer other than that think Smithy could have given O,Hare his chance. Smith has built up enough credit certainly with me to take a few chances.

Wow.....HL suggesting we missed Grealish.....there's a first! Think it shows how much we've improved under Smith because whilst it was a flat performance in many ways it wasn't that bad was it? Nyland at fault for the first goal? Sorry he's made some howlers but can't pin the blame on him for that one...and as for Smith 'throwing all the forwards on like Bruce' he brought JK on who changed the bloody game and tried to win it by bringing Hogan on. That was refreshing for me. Bruce only lumped forwards on if we were losing. Safety first if we were winning or drawing! Nah...positive substitutions which affected the result and long may it continue.

I fully accept it wasn't great but it was nowhere near as bad as HL is saying. For example. Bolasie went up blind alleys yet produced a worldy cross for Kodjia. Smith goes all out for a win and gets criticised when two months ago we are at our wits end when Mr 4 promotions shut up shop in similar circumstances

Christ some people have no tolerance. We spank Boro and Derby away . Spank Blues at home. Share a 5 goal thriller with total contenders Forest . Are denied a win away at total contenders Baggies by beyond ridiculous officiating after having enough chances to win 2 games.

Then we have the bare face disgrace to draw a game against a relegated team who are on a very decent run and based on today will be also be contenders in my humble.

Guess what we can't win every game chaps (No offence).

Think it's time to break out the head wobble quote.

Stoke always been tough nut and been in premier a few years. It’s another point and they all count

Well done Stoke playing in thier white shorts showing shorts don’t affect change.
So if there is no clash with our shirts we should stick to white shorts.

It could be the refs making decisions. It’s not consistent. sirdennis needs to have a word with them.

Stoke aways seem to be our bogey team and so it continued today, though I'm 100% certain that we'd have lost that game under Bruce whereas now we find a way to get something out of the game.

I said a few times once Grealish was confirmed out that we should have started with O'Hare and was disappointed with smith for not giving him a go. I get why whelan was in but that midfield was lacking anything resembling a creative spark and just looked slow and lethargic.

I see that some are blaming Nyland for their 1st goal. I'm not a fan of him but I sit in the upper North stand and had a great view (alas) of both Stoke goals and the build up. Joe Allen couldn't have hit that any harder, keeper had absolutely no chance at all I'm afraid. Indeed from what I could tell he made 2 excellent saves 1st half.

Unfortunately the 2nd can be put squarely on elmos shoulders. Trying to show McLean inside onto his weaker foot is one thing but he practically jumped out of McLeans way and left a gap that a 747 could have driven through. Then he compounds that by shoving him in the back. Then he practically does the same thing a little while later only to be saved by a Kodjia foul. His defending was so crap that just based on these 2 moments I'd drop him for bree next game.

I'm convinced that if grealish had played we'd have had a greater control of the ball and a lot more thrust and general forward thinking in midfield and won this one. Again slightly disappointed by Smiths selection today but the man's been brilliant for us so I can't criticise him. If we can stay in touch with the play offs till January then get some decent new recruits in there's no reason why we can't at least mount a challenge for those automatic places. And if it's the play offs then I feel under Smith we'll be better equipped than last year when we seemed more frightened of losing than wanting to win. Onwards to Leeds next, UTV.

Players are not robots and they can't just "turn on" a performance. We all need to recognise that Barcelona can have off days (especially if they were without Messi)

I'm a Bruce critic but I don't think anyone can call the result if he was in charge - he would have set us up totally differently. Melon Donkey has said the rest for me. We may not get automatic promotion this year, even if we do a Fulham, but DS has improved us immeasurably. Bring on Leeds.

Nyland had no chance with the first goal I probably agree but Butland would have got in the way of it because that is the difference between a good keeper and shall we call him average one. We have got to the stage where we need 3 goals to win a game.

I fully accept it wasn't great but it was nowhere near as bad as HL is saying. For example. Bolasie went up blind alleys yet produced a worldy cross for Kodjia. Smith goes all out for a win and gets criticised when two months ago we are at our wits end when Mr 4 promotions shut up shop in similar circumstances

Christ some people have no tolerance. We spank Boro and Derby away . Spank Blues at home. Share a 5 goal thriller with total contenders Forest . Are denied a win away at total contenders Baggies by beyond ridiculous officiating after having enough chances to win 2 games.

Then we have the bare face disgrace to draw a game against a relegated team who are on a very decent run and based on today will be also be contenders in my humble.

Guess what we can't win every game chaps (No offence).

Think it's time to break out the head wobble quote.

Should I mention the word "fickle" ?

We are 3 points worse off than last season albeit I think we are playing better by a long way compared to performances last season before Christmas.

I’m a lot more positive with Dean Smith there - I have to think with a few signings we will be up there.

Should I mention the word "fickle" ?

It's the short termism (is that even a word!) which is the scourge of the modern football fan . Fans react on a game by game basis . The wider picture is too often ignored.
Take Wolves. Win 3 games the champions league word was mentioned on WM last night. A few games ago Nuno was being questioned. Man city lost last weekend and if some were to be believed they have handed the title to The Dippers. Media are to blame was aswell .
After yesterday to say it was back to Bruce ball is utter tosh.
Smith is doing a great job with a team that isn't his. Since he has arrived we have played
Norwich
Boro
Derby
Baggies
Blues
Forest
Stoke

We are scoring goals for fun. It's onwards and upwards for me. A battling draw with stoke is not a negative in my humble.

It's the short termism (is that even a word!) which is the scourge of the modern football fan . Fans react on a game by game basis . The wider picture is too often ignored.
Take Wolves. Win 3 games the champions league word was mentioned on WM last night. A few games ago Nuno was being questioned. Man city lost last weekend and if some were to be believed they have handed the title to The Dippers. Media are to blame was aswell .
After yesterday to say it was back to Bruce ball is utter tosh.
Smith is doing a great job with a team that isn't his. Since he has arrived we have played
Norwich
Boro
Derby
Baggies
Blues
Forest
Stoke

We are scoring goals for fun. It's onwards and upwards for me. A battling draw with stoke is not a negative in my humble.

Yes 18 points from 10 games under Smith and that is more or less the 2 points per game average needed to go up .

Any suggestion that Nyland should have save the first goal as well is ridiculous . I see there was no mention of the 2 good saves he made in the first half in Holtelowers ramble.

Yes 18 points from 10 games under Smith and that is more or less the 2 points per game average needed to go up .

Any suggestion that Nyland should have save the first goal as well is ridiculous . I see there was no mention of the 2 good saves he made in the first half in Holtelowers ramble.
The first save with his foot was incredible