Aston Villa vs Everton Saturday 18th September 17:30 | Page 26 | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Everton Saturday 18th September 17:30

A thoroughly enjoyable evening at B6. Scored just at the right time when Everton were probably having their best period of the game and whilst 3-0 probably flattered us a bit, I guess it made up for losing 3-0 last week which certainly flattered Chelsea. Thought Mings was superb tonight, he was clearly determined from the start to atone for his error last week. Fantastic goal from Matty Cash, thought he was excellent and the build up for the goal was top notch. Cracking finish and with his left foot! Fair play to Deano for getting it right with his substitution of Bailey for Targett…what an impact and another great finish.…that cross field pass from Ings to set him up...sublime! Holte absolutely rocking in that second half…isn’t it great to be back on night’s like this! Big 3 points. Chuffed to bits!

Ollie us a very likeable guy, and I do like him. But he has to step on this season, as there is a lot to his all round game where he can and needs to improve. I get the feeling he’s not going to be the first to be dropped as he’s a Smith favourite, but his touch and all round game is too loose and sloppy. If Bailey, Buendia and Ings are in better form, I hope Smith will make the difficult decision to bench him as it’ll be for his own good in the long run.

I honestly thought he should have been subbed just before we scored. A good benching might give him the kick up the arse to work even harder to improve.

Got to admit when I saw the lineup I was puzzled. Looked a bit defensive especially with Richarlson and Calvert Lewin out. Still thought the same after 60 minutes. We huffed and puffed but barely tested their keeper. The same formation did much better in the 1st 1/2 Vs Chelsea. Then we loosened up and blew them away. On balance I think with last week's match in mind I'm not sure the tactical masterplan of doing it this way was there. I think it leaves Smith less sure of exactly what to field.

Buzzing. What a second half. That 10-15 minute spell is what you go to matches for. The place was absolutely rocking , there is no finer sound or sight than Villa Park in full voice under the lights.

I did say at half time that 3-5-2 wasn't working because I didn't think Cash and Targett were the right players for it , but having said that I thought they were too isolated when they got the ball and had very few options. Glad to see that Deano said that they wanted to get the two outside centre halves to play higher up and support the wing backs in the second half and we were well on top when we scores. Wonderful team goal starting with Emi .

I see some are crabbing Smith which I find really strange as it would have been so easy to bring on Young for Targett , but that was an inspired decision to get Bailey on , he did change the whole dynamic , but is clearly not ready to start yet as he is seemingly picking up niggles quite easily. Need to build him up gradually I reckon.

Ollie us a very likeable guy, and I do like him. But he has to step on this season, as there is a lot to his all round game where he can and needs to improve. I get the feeling he’s not going to be the first to be dropped as he’s a Smith favourite, but his touch and all round game is too loose and sloppy. If Bailey, Buendia and Ings are in better form, I hope Smith will make the difficult decision to bench him as it’ll be for his own good in the long run.

Thought he did fine today; not a lot went for him but he's a constant threat with his movement. Remember it's only his second match this season.

If DS went for one striker, to me it has to be Ollie; he provides a lot more in terms of movement. In spite of his assist for Bailey, wasn't that impressed with Ings; I think one of our wingers could have done the same job only better.

I’m hoping Targett does :sorry:
Something isn't right with him right now is it. He was a real force last year though and maybe it's just fitness that is holding him back? Or, maybe he is the player most suffering from the absence of.....

When he's back on form, he is one of the first names on the team sheet though

Not long got back. Lovely evening at the finest stadium in world football. I don't like 3 at the back. We're only playing it to get both Ollie and Ings on the pitch but the players that would supply them don't fit properly in that formation.

We were very solid defensively for the most part, the 3 CBs were excellent, particularly Mings who snuffed out everything that came near him and even made a few buccaneering charges forward. Targett was poor but he isn't a wing back, he's fine in a 4 but too slow for the role he's being asked to play. Cash was excellent and his goal was delightful.

Ramsey was very good again. Neat and tidy passing, good energy, good movement and good defensively. He's very good at creating space for himself. He's 19 or 20 I think? If he carries on improving he'll be some player. Luiz did well enough and Marvelous was excellent when he came on I thought. He actually looked a lot more confident on the ball than I've ever seen him before.

The strikers toiled away but neither had a real sniff of goal. Ings is a quality player and his ball for the 3rd was lovely. Ollie works so hard and his never say die attitude creates a lot of good situations from nothing balls. The 2 up top isn't working though. Its 4-3-3 all the way for me.

Bailey... What a cameo. I knew I'd love him as soon as he went straight to take the free kick after coming on. When he scored I thought the Villa Park was going to take flight. He had a lot of time to think about that finish and my god it was as emphatic a strike as you'll see this season. He is a star and needs to start week in week out. If we can get him and Buendia clicking around Ings we're onto a winner.

Bit of a slog for a time but I never really thought we were in danger at any time. I do think we need to bin the 3 at the back. I've never liked it and it doesn't suit the creative players we have. For me its one of Ings/Watkins with Bailey and Bunedia either side. Same midfield, usual back 4. Easy.

Have a lovely Saturday night everyone. UTV

Thought he did fine today; not a lot went for him but he's a constant threat with his movement. Remember it's only his second match this season.

If DS went for one striker, to me it has to be Ollie; he provides a lot more in terms of movement. In spite of his assist for Bailey, wasn't that impressed with Ings; I think one of our wingers could have done the same job only better.

I thought Ings and Watkins were fine. Ings put in a real shift and I can see them causing defences plenty of problems as the season goes on.

I thought Ings put a real shift in dropping deep and linking up the play (hence the assist) whereas Ollie didn’t have much that came off for him, even close control was bouncing off him.

I have been really impressed with Ings’ all round game, he’s better than I thought he was. I’ve been biting my tongue with Ollie for a while now, but his touch needs improving. Top quality players don’t lose the ball as much as he does, and he can’t quite keep it close enough to his body when dribbling without getting tackled a bit too easily.

It’s all constructive criticism for his game, but I wouldn’t be dropping Ings over Ollie at present if it were my decision.