Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers. Weds 4th January 20.00 hrs K.O | Page 23 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers. Weds 4th January 20.00 hrs K.O

Chalk and cheese from Sunday but clearly way off the pace first half , but the subs changed things , Cash going to right back gave us more energy down the right and really we bossed the second half and had the two best chances by far. Unbelievable clearance off the line from Augustinsson as well. The less said about Baileys miss the better , but I thought the front 3 were poor tonight. I think if we can add some quality in that area we will be more than allright.

Just got back. Not sure I've ever come out of Villa Park not knowing how we've not lost yet equally not knowing how we didn't win.

Awful performance with too many poor showings. No starters bar Martinez, Mings, Konsa can claim any credit from that. The 2 biggest offenders were Buendia and Bailey. Buendia simply did not make a single correct decision all game, summed up by him taking a shot from 20 yards whilst off balance with his weaker foot while Phillipe Coutinho stood alone in the box to his left. Bailey, what can you say about that miss. Cherry on top of a poor showing from him.

I was so sure we wouldn't score and genuinely couldn't believe that a hoik over tge top from big Tyrone to Ings did them in. I'm doing them both down there as it was a perfect pass, run and finish. Great stuff from 2 players I've been very critical of recently. Ings should have been coming away with an assist after his brilliant ball to Bailey.

If the Bailey miss had simply not happened I'd have been happy with an undeserved point in a game we'd been poor in. They fought and scraped back into it despite not being at the races. Fair enough, sometimes it happens. Better a point from a crap performance than a loss. But that miss colours it unfortunately. Its going to haunt me for a few days.

Onto the cup we go. Hopefully with a rocket up their arse after that.

Frustrating night but ultimately a point each was probably about the right result. Fair play to Wolves, did a job on us first half, pressed us really high and stopped us playing. Glad we went in just one down we were so far off it. But now we’ve a manager with clear pedigree the ht changes and tweaks during the second half meant it was a different story and we could have so easily got all 3 points at the death. Buendia….possibly the most frustrating player I’ve ever seen in a Villa shirt. Awful first half Sunday, much better second, bloody awful all game tonight. Ten out of 15 points for Unai, don’t think many of us would have predicted that looking at the fixtures but his influence is already showing. We wouldn’t have got a point out of that 3 months ago. Onwards and upwards.

Yup. Seen games like that where we have ended up losing 3 or 4. Said at half time we would take a point all day long.

Errrm

Dunno

First half to me, for a local derby, was inexcusable. I don't understand the lack of tempo, the lack of shots, the lack of pretty much everything. I don't get it, I don't accept it. I will say, their goal was quality though, if you can't appreciate that, you aren't into football.

Just now watching MOTD2 and Ian Wright is on the same page as me. I will never understand the attitude from fans and managers, to Danny Ings. He is quality. Got a chance, scored and then look at the pass he did to Bailey who should have buried the chance (to be fair, at least he was gutted and looks truly upset he didn't score it, I do like players who give a shit - albeit, I prefer those that score!)

That was not a good Wolves team, they are struggling, not sure you would have realised that, watching the game (especially the first half)

But hey ho, it is what it is.

Last edited:
The Bailey miss was coming. He spent the whole evening making wrong choices, twisting and turning in traffic losing the ball. He had opportunities but never took one to use pace to beat his man on the outside. It didn't really seem that he had pace. He then beat about 4 people in the box in breathtaking fashion but again nothing came of it. His selection doesn't match his close quarter skills. Digne seemed to have trouble controlling the ball tonight and rightly yanked. I think we really missed Ramsey tonight. Credit to Emery for his changes...he didn't seem to have much to work with but made it happen. But also the first half was dross...

Said earlier today it could be after the Lord mayor's show and it was. Funny because I could tell after a few mins that it wasn't right and we were going to struggle. Everything that could be wrong was.. Lethargic, flat , sloppy in possession, careless... I could go on.

Said at HT that I was happy it was only one goal conceded and that was the only positive for us for 45 mins work .

But we were better 2nd half. We deserved our goal and we deserved a draw . We did not deserve the win that's for sure. Have to give credit to the team for sticking at it despite it never really clicking at all.

We have to be honest and say we are nowhere near being able to turn up and roll teams over just because we had a great result the game before against a better side.

3 wins, a draw and a loss is a great return so far under Unai.

And 4 points from away at spuds and home to wolves is better than I thought we would get but the points were gained the way round we least expected.

I was already on Witton Road when Bailey missed I heard the roar and then the groans from the Holte.
It's difficult to go on a winning run in this league , there aren't really any easy games . We definitely need a couple more quality additions particularly up front / wide midfield in my opinion. We might have to wait until summer to find the right players rather than panic and buy for the sake of it.