Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers. Weds 4th January 20.00 hrs K.O | Page 25 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers. Weds 4th January 20.00 hrs K.O

I was so sure we wouldn't score and genuinely couldn't believe that a hoik over tge top from big Tyrone to Ings did them in. I'm doing them both down there as it was a perfect pass, run and finish. Great stuff from 2 players I've been very critical of recently. Ings should have been coming away with an assist after his brilliant ball to Bailey.

I thought the same especially when the Augustisson shot was cleared like that. When an almost physics defying goal line clearance like that happens it feels like it’s not going to be your night.

I guess the simplicity of goal is a reason why they are where they are. Simple but costly mistakes like that cost points.

Ings pass to Bailey was sublime it’s the 3rd time I’ve seen him make a 40+ yard pass from deep and put someone in on goal. Ings might be too 5 players in terms of footballing ability and IQ. He can see things and execute but question marks will remain about his physicality and ability to lead the line.

We didn't get it right from the start in terms of some of the selection and approach, but you also have to recognise that Wolves have some genuinely quality players and have a really good manager in place now so their form prior to Lopetegui is a total irrelevance. They're a good team with dangerous players.

What was brilliant to see was Emery's ability to course correct in order to deliver a pretty good result given the poor first half display. No fucking about, hooking some of the players who weren't effecting the game enough and changing the approach. This meant we came away with a point where under other manager we would have simply looked clueless and would have lost.

Herein lies the big challenge for Emery though. We have done very well against teams who set out to play their way without too much regard for what we offer. Wolves on the other hand came with a clear game plan to exploit some of our vulnerabilities, the more opposing teams look to do this to us the harder life will be.

Well in the cool morning light, it was a point gained.
It's Cash or Young, not both.
I can see why Unai is linked with a mobile athletic attacking left-back as the amount of space wolves gave Digne was almost the freedom of Villa park but they knew they could get out to him before he would do anything. He's not even a good defender and its easy to see why Rafa fucked him off.

Nice to see Watkins hooked for Danny ings and not just throw Ings on with Watkins. Ing is a striker, Watkins is a runner, shame we can't melt them both down and cast one good striker out of them.
Nice to see a manager trust his squad, and change things a bit.

Shocking first half and one thing I hated is with the Wolves having a succession of Corners there was no out ball as we had every player back and as soon as we cleared it was back in there again. Surely you don't need Bailey back defending as he's not going to be much use . Leave him up the pitch and make them mark him, one thing he has got is speed on the break. The rest of his "game" is prime Bert , Trez or Anwar.

I think Kamara was running on empty as well shame we couldn't have a few more subs.

We would however have lost that under Deano or the Liverpool plank.

Oh and I hate night games in January with 8pm ko there is just no need, it wasn't even for TV

Thankful for the point in the end after a poor first half though we could have won it at the death. Now that Emery has got us up to 11th (which is where Smith got us, ignoring the clueless one in-between) we can finally think about 'continual progress' eh Mr. purslow?

I don't think it's a coincidence we had so many poor performances in one game. Fatigue or whatever, I'll reserve judgement on the players.

Just excellent to see Emery plug the holes and turn it into a game the 2nd half. Could have ended 3-1 to us.

I saw some comments made during the game about the subs on this and I thought they were brilliant too. Previous managers - ones we liked and didn’t - would’ve had Ings and Ollie on the pitch. I remember some games we were chasing where we had those two and Archer on, losing all shape, ability to the win the ball and put pressure on.

We managed to get our usual style and tactics working in the second half when we got rid of effectively having two right backs on the pitch., and it was good to see we stuck with it rather than end up with 3 strikers on the pitch.

It was one of the days where we ran out of luck, if we had one more attacking winger option to have been able to replace Bailey who didn’t have the energy to last all game, we would’ve nicked that game.

I saw some comments made during the game about the subs on this and I thought they were brilliant too. Previous managers - ones we liked and didn’t - would’ve had Ings and Ollie on the pitch. I remember some games we were chasing where we had those two and Archer on, losing all shape, ability to the win the ball and put pressure on.

We managed to get our usual style and tactics working in the second half when we got rid of effectively having two right backs on the pitch., and it was good to see we stuck with it rather than end up with 3 strikers on the pitch.

It was one of the days where we ran out of luck, if we had one more attacking winger option to have been able to replace Bailey who didn’t have the energy to last all game, we would’ve nicked that game.
Which is hopefully where Danjuma, Pino or Sarr come in

A couple of us talking at half time mentioned the absence of McGinn. He has his limits at the moment but I thought we missed his Duracell Bunny hustling and bustling. Those Wolves midfielders had too easy a time against our midfield.

I was pleased he wasn’t starting but he would’ve been very useful to have come on as the game opened up. We only really had PC to bring on, as no manager fancies Sanson for whatever reason.

Having reflected on the game and watching match of the day I'm happy with the draw. Not quite sure why it wasn't a pen (even though it's said that type of handball is allowed), think Wolves high tackle should have been a red and like has been said the chance at the end for Bailey wasn't as easy as it first looked. The strike was a tired 95minute of the game strike on someones weak foot. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there. As for Ings, I wish he was as athletic as Watkins. That goal was pinpoint, spotting the keeper slip to then lift it over him. Then that pass to Bailey at the end was absolutely crazy, if it had gone in assist of the season there.

On another day we come back to win the game, but I'll take the draw after the shit show of a first half.

Having reflected on the game and watching match of the day I'm happy with the draw. Not quite sure why it wasn't a pen (even though it's said that type of handball is allowed), think Wolves high tackle should have been a red and like has been said the chance at the end for Bailey wasn't as easy as it first looked. The strike was a tired 95minute of the game strike on someones weak foot. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there. As for Ings, I wish he was as athletic as Watkins. That goal was pinpoint, spotting the keeper slip to then lift it over him. Then that pass to Bailey at the end was absolutely crazy, if it had gone in assist of the season there.

On another day we come back to win the game, but I'll take the draw after the shit show of a first half.
Also ok with the draw given the aweful first half no show. Can't be as charitable about Bailey though. I don't rate him anyway, and for me last night he went into headless chicken mode with that attempt. Same as against Liverpool, two great chances and both were golf type air shots. Hasn't got it at this level for me, sadly, because we desperately need someone too play wide.

Also ok with the draw given the aweful first half no show. Can't be as charitable about Bailey though. I don't rate him anyway, and for me last night he went into headless chicken mode with that attempt. Same as against Liverpool, two great chances and both were golf type air shots. Hasn't got it at this level for me, sadly, because we desperately need someone too play wide.

Yeah I think I am being to fair on him. But I noticed on 80minutes he was blowing so it's easy to miss them chances when there is nothing left in the tank. Like we've said if thats Ings on the end of it its in the back of the net. Sadly he was the one who played the ball. I'm hoping for a powerful winger with an eye for goal this window.