Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers. Weds 4th January 20.00 hrs K.O | Page 24 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers. Weds 4th January 20.00 hrs K.O

First half was poor. We looked slow, flat and shaky at the back. If we have to accept teams will sit in and keep it tight, but it was nervous - I think Ollie cleared a few from corners for us and he should be at the other end of the pitch.

Good subs, but tactically I thought the subtle change of going more direct worked as the goal proved. I didn’t get in the first when wolves set up to press us when we played out from the back, why we kept doing it. At times, we should’ve played the diagonal to Matty in the hope he could flick it on and see what happens.

We seemed to run out of steam at the end, just missing something on the bench perhaps to have been the final sub for Bailey who was blowing.

Yeah. The Cash thing didn't work. Thought it might after Sunday and I said it wouldn't be a long term option. He is right back.

Right thing to do at the right time in the right match Sunday. And it might be the thing to do again in the right circumstances. But on the evidence tonight it is not a starting line up thing.

Probably wouldn't have seen the light anyway if SJM or JJ were fit.

And talking of the aforementioned JJ. We miss him .

All games will be different. Just because we beat Spurs on their patch with a good performance don't mean we will brush aside Wolves at home. This is how hard it is in the Prem and need to do our homework.

Absolutely right. However, in the first half, we looked like we had been instructed not to tackle Should have been blood and thunder, and 3 points tonight. But for 3 points, you have to graft far more than we did, for an entire 90 mins.

Absolutely right. However, in the first half, we looked like we had been instructed not to tackle Should have been blood and thunder, and 3 points tonight. But for 3 points, you have to graft far more than we did, for an entire 90 mins.
Yes, it was a strange start. Sometimes think others do more homework on us than we do on them, or do we think we brushed Spurs aside so more of the same. It don't always work like that.

The efforts of the away win on Sunday cannot be ignored in my humble. It had an affect on our game tonight. Not an excuse , should it ? , is it lame to say ?. Dunno, but it’s a factor . Had we not had that type of game Sunday I think it would put a different start to the game tonight.

But the most important thing is we worked our way through it and deserved a draw. Wolves are not as bad as would be suggested . Like us they seem to have a new manager in with a plan, a track record and knows how to impact a game .

Yes, it was a strange start. Sometimes think others do more homework on us than we do on them, or do we think we brushed Spurs aside so more of the same. It don't always work like that.
We frequently underwhelm in local derbies, especially in the early exchanges, and this was no different. Even when we beat them 4-1 in the Championship, we were lethargic for much of the game and we didn't really hit stride until around the hour mark.

Anyway, marked improvement second half. Annoyed that Bailey missed at the end, but another day, he either chips the keeper or buries that chance.

Happy enough with a point. The subs made a difference, but I also felt Wolves didn't help themselves with theirs.

As said earlier in the thread (or maybe the Emery thread), no way we'd have got a point from this under Gerrard, so progress is being made. We're all aware of the limitations of the squad, but I thought Emery managed well - Cash at right mid clearly wasn't working, Digne was off colour and I personally thought Luiz had a bit of a stinker. So, happy with the changes made.

The efforts of the away win on Sunday cannot be ignored in my humble. It had an affect on our game tonight. Not an excuse , should it ? , is it lame to say ?. Dunno, but it’s a factor . Had we not had that type of game Sunday I think it would put a different start to the game tonight.

But the most important thing is we worked our way through it and deserved a draw. Wolves are not as bad as would be suggested . Like us they seem to have a new manager in with a plan, a track record and knows how to impact a game .
Yep Melon. I got so pissed off with the way we used to react to a first half lesson. Emery dealt with it. ok we didnt get the win, but it was a response we expect a manager to make.

Last edited:
Also, I thought the referee was absolutely dreadful. A total buffoon.

VAR not much better. How that Wolves lad (No 11?) who went studs up on Douggie early doors didn't get a red, I'll never know. And pantomime villain Costa was lucky to stay on the pitch as well.

Wasn't a dirty game by any means, but those stood out for me. Incompetence abounds.

All games will be different. Just because we beat Spurs on their patch with a good performance don't mean we will brush aside Wolves at home. This is how hard it is in the Prem and need to do our homework.
Didnt think we would win...Wolves had an extra day between games and we had a couple of injuries.In the end glad of a point. Didn't think the Cash thing would work either.

We've played better than that and lost games.... emery is great for the in game tactics but we still seem to only be able to play well for one half.

Biggest head scratcher- when Buendia is on the bench, I feel he should start.... but when he starts, he annoys the bejaysus outta me and feel he should be benched again. His arm throwing irritates me. Get on with it.

I think the players start to believe the hype too, today was supposed to be a cake walk but took a while for us to start playing.

Plenty of quality in the team but also a fair few that could be replaced with better.

Didnt think we would win...Wolves had an extra day between games and we had a couple of injuries.In the end glad of a point. Didn't think the Cash thing would work either.
Yeah i thought the same with Cash. Emery is obviously trying different things which i totally agree with, but he's clever enough to get us out the shit if it don't work.

Digne has been another letdown. No real upgrade and nowhere near the level of the two french left backs in the WC.
Sorry but he's no better than Targett, Thought if you spent a fortune it was because they are an improvement, i don't see it. Thought Augustinsson played well and has put himself in there.