Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon | Page 4 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon

We'll find out after this game if we are Title Chasing Aston Villa or The Same Old Aston Villa.

We've had so many managers down the years who couldn't turn around a losing team. The heads went down and stayed down. MON could do it, Bruce could do it too. Let's see if Dean Smith is the real deal.

Mon and Bruce could do what? Mon nearly bankrupted the club and Bruce ultimately failed.

So you are saying if we lose this we are the same as last season?
Personally, I don't think we are a title challenger but neither are we likely to go down.

I don't think we are the same Villa as last season.

If we are going to finish mid table like most of us think we will , then it stands to reason that we will lose a few games .

Southampton will be a good test because we were outplayed by them in both games last season .

Mon and Bruce could do what? Mon nearly bankrupted the club and Bruce ultimately failed.

So you are saying if we lose this we are the same as last season?
Personally, I don't think we are a title challenger but neither are we likely to go down.

For me, this is where real managers earn their corn. The loss to Leeds was a bad one. We were complacent and got found out. A good manager can get past these set backs.

For me, this is where real managers earn their corn. The loss to Leeds was a bad one. We were complacent and got found out. A good manager can get past these set backs.

He's got past everything so far, I'm not confident we'll beat Southampton but I never thought we'd beat Liverpool or Leicester either. Leeds will cause everyone problems util they burn out after Christmas. They'll win the league if we have another lockdown break about then. They are a one-off they play like the underdogs in the 3rd round of the FA cup every game until they eventually get beat
Southampton are a team who are on a par with us I'd say . A bit hit and miss but more hit

I cant help thinking that our excellent start to the season has raised expectations a little too much with some. This is a difficult match one we lost last season, and if we get anything out of it it will be a real sign of the progress we have made.

We'll find out after this game if we are Title Chasing Aston Villa or The Same Old Aston Villa.

We've had so many managers down the years who couldn't turn around a losing team. The heads went down and stayed down. MON could do it, Bruce could do it too. Let's see if Dean Smith is the real deal.
I don't think you're mad to say title chasing. I think any club, not just Villa, that is within 6 or so points of the top should keep aiming for the title until it's completely out of sight. We've beaten the best, just a case of beating the rest now.

It is hard to pick up momentum again after a loss like that, but it's a fairly kind fixture we've been given to do so against an evenly matched side at home. No team is going to run away with the title this year, it would be fantastic if we could return to winning ways on Sunday and be sat in the top four at Christmas. We should be able to attract some real quality to the club in January then, and keep on pushing. Europa league finish would be fantastic, being able to go back to VP to watch european football next season. But keep aiming for the stars and we can settle for the moon.

Five games in, thank God no one is getting carried away :whist:
Well, most teams are 6 games in and we are 3rd. Almost 1/5th, 20%, of the season will have been played after this weekend so to end it a point off the top with a game in hand wouldn't be too bad.

Well, most teams are 6 games in and we are 3rd. Almost 1/5th, 20%, of the season will have been played after this weekend so to end it a point off the top with a game in hand wouldn't be too bad.

Agree on the current position, its fantastic.

My usual assessment of whether a project or programme is going to work is that at 20% of the way in you can typically predict how the next 80% is going to go.

However football is very very different! I think by New Year you can be pretty clear but not exact about what is going to play out.

As an example of how bubbles can burst, remember Hull 2008/9? Third after 9 games in the PL. 10th still after 19 games so half way. Finished 17th and lucky not to be relegated.

Don't think that's going to happen to us, but I'll need quite a few more games to change my assessment that we'll finish significantly higher than 12th-15th. Obviously I'd like a much higher finish but not willing to dream just yet.

Gone for a 1-1 on Erods thread, but I really dont fancy us at all in this one.
Think our back line will have its hands full with Danny Ings.
If we get something out of this fixture, then I will really believe we have turned a corner.

Gone for a 1-1 on Erods thread, but I really dont fancy us at all in this one.
Think our back line will have its hands full with Danny Ings.
If we get something out of this fixture, then I will really believe we have turned a corner.

With you on this one wittonite, predicted a draw...but wouldn’t be surprised if Saints beat us. On their day, they‘re a decent team but can be up and down...would be pretty happy with a point. Back to the solid defence we saw pre Leeds please....if we’re going to get beaten, let’s at least make it difficult for them!

they‘re a decent team but can be up and down...

I think this article can help explain why: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...en-klopp-bayern-munich-man-city-b1367450.html

Referring to pressing: "That can be seen in the impact a figure like Ralph Hasenhuttl has had at Southampton.

A huge improvement in pressing is widely seen by figures around Bayern Munich as the major reason the German club won the Champions League. A drastic drop-off is meanwhile viewed as one of the major reasons that Manchester City again failed in the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
A win would be superb
A draw very good
Lawro has us to lose 1-2 hello sailor
If we finish 12th this season I'd be delighted

I don't think we are the same Villa as last season.

If we are going to finish mid table like most of us think we will , then it stands to reason that we will lose a few games .

Southampton will be a good test because we were outplayed by them in both games last season .

I feel like this game will be quite telling about the players and the manager. I think we’ll know if we are the same Villa as last season with better players, or if we are a different Villa to last season with better players.

I Jonathan Fear we do have some bad traits still, and they are mental strength and leadership of the players, along with in game management and tactics. Our prep and fitness for games is generally good, and we are holding onto points this season unlike last.

Seeing us go one or even two up early in this game would be a very interesting test of the above points to see how we handle it.