Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Time to bounce back... shame Saints just got a good win v Everton but hey ho!

I will not be dragged from optimism.
My desktop picture is VP showing the 7-2 score and I'm not changing it!

We will play more like we did against Leicester - and we will hopefully pass to Ollie this time.

I think there will have been a very honest assessment of the entire preparation, tactics, and commitments levels after the loss to Leeds.

Hopefully, we have been training intensely, and that we have had the reality check we need to stay focused for the season.

I expect a difficult game, probably 1-1 or 2-2.

Go back to first and foremost keeping it tight and we will win. I actually think you get more chances that way than trying attack at all times.

A draw would feel like a defeat to me.

Who bloody knows.

We got opened up so much against Leeds who played 4,4,1,1/4,1,4,1

Through the middle, down the wings whilst we lacked any real sort of attacking threat, players couldn't string passes together like Leeds, and Jack ran into a brick wall losing possession 19 times down the left.

I'd do something radical and old school to mix it about (I'll keep the thoughts to myself lol) , but hopefully Deano has the answers.

Southampton looked very good today, but we were even better against Liverpool, so who cares.

If we play well, which we can, we can beat them no problem. But teams like us can't have off days against anyone in this league, if we do, we'll more than likely be beaten.

Hopefully we'll have learned something from that 2nd half against Leeds.

Difficult one to predict this. Saints looking good, we were looking decent (very decent v Liverpool), obviously the game v Leeds was a set back, but 4 out of 5 is no mean start and far beyond what I expected.

Really difficult game playing one of the big 9, looking for a bounce back in performance. If offered a draw now I would take it.

Saints away at the old Dell (Been many times) and the new ground (several visits) has never really been a happy hunting ground for the Villa and this game at Villa Park, shouldn't be any different because the current Saints manager seems to know how to tactically set up against us home or away.

Dean and the team need to re-group and show that the poor performance against Leeds was just an all-around bad day for everyone and go out and show what they are capable of.

3 points would be a good result and what I would hope for and want from the start.

Good luck to the villa Boys:utv:

Last edited:
I think a draw would be a pretty good result, especially after the shambles of Friday.

Yes they were very "joined" up today Southampton really impressive, passing movement etc. Could be a game when we need to show them the respect we showed Leicester but who knows with this crazy league

I didn't see the Southampton game today but I've watched a lot of Everton this season and they're probably the best side I've seen so far. Therefore, I assume Southampton must have something about them to take the points today.

So it'll be tough, but I'm expecting a response to the loss this weekend. I'm never happy with a draw, so I want a win. I want to see us control the tempo like we did against Leicester, I want to see us control possession like we did against Shieffield, I want us to be fluid and effective in attack like we were against Liverpool, I want us to be clinical like we were against Fulham, I want to see us defend solidly like we have for most of the past 10 games. We know we can do it, so we should strive for it week after week after week.

I'd like to see minor tweaks to the starting XI and formation. I want to see Watkins and Grealish almost switch positions, with Watkins playing as a left forward cutting in, Traore playing as a right forward cutting in and Grealish linking up with Barkley as a deep lying centre forward. Same midfield, same defence.

I didn't see the Southampton game today but I've watched a lot of Everton this season and they're probably the best side I've seen so far. Therefore, I assume Southampton must have something about them to take the points today.

So it'll be tough, but I'm expecting a response to the loss this weekend. I'm never happy with a draw, so I want a win. I want to see us control the tempo like we did against Leicester, I want to see us control possession like we did against Shieffield, I want us to be fluid and effective in attack like we were against Liverpool, I want us to be clinical like we were against Fulham, I want to see us defend solidly like we have for most of the past 10 games. We know we can do it, so we should strive for it week after week after week.

I'd like to see minor tweaks to the starting XI and formation. I want to see Watkins and Grealish almost switch positions, with Watkins playing as a left forward cutting in, Traore playing as a right forward cutting in and Grealish linking up with Barkley as a deep lying centre forward. Same midfield, same defence.

I like your thinking there.
We have to make sure Ollie is involved.
He was more in the game against Leeds than Leicester, but still only had two chances.
We’ve seen from Liverpool that he can make his own chances, cutting in from wide.

I agree there is room for a bit more fluidity and that might help Jack to speed up his game a bit (not just always popping up on the left which might get a bit predictable for teams)
Not sure about a complete position swap, but more interchangability in games is that even a word