Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon

I think the biggest difference would be after we've finished an attack and it's failed you put in just as much effort as the attacking team to get back, if the attacking team are sprinting forward you all sprint back.

We cannot allow any team to outnumber us whilst defending.

That was also the difference with Leeds when we attacked they made sure they had bodies behind the ball.

Yes they were very "joined" up today Southampton really impressive, passing movement etc. Could be a game when we need to show them the respect we showed Leicester but who knows with this crazy league
Yes they looked good but they were quite methodical and not pacey in much of their play - certainly not like Leeds in terms of being in your face every 5 seconds and running at you like Linford Christie.
I think that this will suit our play better and it gives time to regroup but to also break quickly when we have the ball.
Back to our Liverpool best I hope

Against Leeds I’m sure our players’ mindsets were more about how many they would score particularly with our full squad against their depleted one. Once that belief was shaken then finally blown by the first goal we lost the plot, they got stronger. A lesson that over confidence feeds the opposition.
That lesson should have been learned and I’m sure like me that players are expecting a battle against Saints to earn a victory. A battle à la Liverpool and Leicester.
We have enough armoury to hurt them if used intelligently. Home advantage has largely disappeared with absence of fans and their manager will no doubt have sussed us out and do a good job on us, it will be a difficult match. For that reason there is an argument to play an unknown quantity against them from the start who may be able to provide additional X factor that can undo them. Traore for Trez, a risky call Dean will probably not take.

Yes they looked good but they were quite methodical and not pacey in much of their play - certainly not like Leeds in terms of being in your face every 5 seconds and running at you like Linford Christie.
I think that this will suit our play better and it gives time to regroup but to also break quickly when we have the ball.
Back to our Liverpool best I hope

This of course depends on if we have any tactics and if there is a plan B.

Hassenhootl or whatever his name is has done a bloody good job at Southampton after that 9-0 humiliation against Leicester last season. He's now got them playing as a unit and, as shown against an unbeaten Everton, they seem to be a match for anyone on their day. Just hope their day isn't Sunday 1st November.

Southampton did a job on us last season at VP, think that was the game where McGinn got injured early on. Their game plan seemed to be to turn Engels and capitalise on his lack of pace - Ings and Long were constantly running past him. Whoever was playing wide left kept running at Freddie too. Neither of those are likely to start so fortunately so they'll need a different plan this time around.
Very few teams will flood forward as regularly and with the same numbers as Leeds did, so I dont think we need to worry about that problem repeating itself too often.

I think we need to get back into focus on the way we were playing and not start thinking we are good enough to take the game to the opposition. Defend for our lives and break with a purpose. I think the Liverpool game has gone to the player's heads never mind ours

I think the biggest difference would be after we've finished an attack and it's failed you put in just as much effort as the attacking team to get back, if the attacking team are sprinting forward you all sprint back.

We cannot allow any team to outnumber us whilst defending.

That was also the difference with Leeds when we attacked they made sure they had bodies behind the ball.

I'd like our defence to stay back a bit more - not all of them but more than currently. We can't all run back at the same time as they run forward and expect the defence to be organised in the blink of an eye. Added to the fact that in reality Targett gets left behind and some midfielders take a breather!

I think we need to get back into focus on the way we were playing and not start thinking we are good enough to take the game to the opposition. Defend for our lives and break with a purpose. I think the Liverpool game has gone to the player's heads never mind ours

Yep I'd be happy if we had a number of more consistent grinding performances, than looking all over the show with the odd worldy performance thrown in now and again.

Southampton did a job on us last season at VP, think that was the game where McGinn got injured early on. Their game plan seemed to be to turn Engels and capitalise on his lack of pace - Ings and Long were constantly running past him. Whoever was playing wide left kept running at Freddie too. Neither of those are likely to start so fortunately so they'll need a different plan this time around.
Very few teams will flood forward as regularly and with the same numbers as Leeds did, so I dont think we need to worry about that problem repeating itself too often.

I'm not so sure as Leeds did the same job on Cash.

I think if a team overloaded on one player, and the team didn't help them, then anyone would be overwhelmed.

Cash did great first half but they just kept at him until he like anyone would have couldn't cope.

Maybe the lesson from all this is that this should be a Villa tactic.

PS they kept the play away from Jack - another tactic we could use when other teams have a focal player.

PPS I hoped that having McGinn fit and now Roscoe that we could be a team that could live without Jack firing 100%. But when needed they both switched off.

We mustn’t let them double up on Cash and Targett. Leeds exploited that tactic well. Let’s get back to pacy football and not revert to the slow, chessboard stuff.

I think it was more to do with their superb fitness levels and getting forward in numbers. I was half expecting Leeds to tire towards the end of the game, but they didnt look jaded at all. Even even when they countered in the last few minutes there were about 5 Leeds players racing to get into the box.

I think it was more to do with their superb fitness levels and getting forward in numbers. I was half expecting Leeds to tire towards the end of the game, but they didnt look jaded at all. Even even when they countered in the last few minutes there were about 5 Leeds players racing to get into the box.
Seven vs five, and the camera panned back up the field at one point where you could see McGinn and Barkley barely breaking in to a jog...

88 mins and they were still piling forwards and getting back.
Obviously they pick players based on how far they can run and not so much on Skill.

We need to play our game v Southampton but be respectful that they are more established than us. Ings gets goals if we allow crosses into our box he WILL get on the end of them.

They reminded me of Ben Johnson.