Aston Villa v Everton Match Thread - Official Innit | Page 28 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Everton Match Thread - Official Innit

Yes, I noticed Guilbert off side and thought that it would never have happened under Bruce.
Another thing that struck me was the lack of players on the posts when we were defending corners. It makes me nervous.

Engels is worth whatever someone will pay for him (and if we accept it).

When we do start making waves in the PL, the top six teams are going to look to cherry pick our best players. I'm just hoping that we can 'do a Spurs' and make sure that we are getting top dollar should we choose to let our players leave.

The last time, under Randy, we weren't able to keep our best players or replace them with something better. I'm hoping this time will be different.

When we do start making waves in the PL, the top six teams are going to look to cherry pick our best players. I'm just hoping that we can 'do a Spurs' and make sure that we are getting top dollar should we choose to let our players leave.

The last time, under Randy, we weren't able to keep our best players or replace them with something better. I'm hoping this time will be different.
Just have to win things. Happy players will stay.

I’m also watching and I notice it hasn’t changed at all... first three games Chelsea, Liverpool, manure :rolleyes:

Still, glad we are on it tho!!

Getting up to speed on the posts since last night, and a couple things stood out in particular:

Neil Taylor:
The interesting thing with Neil Taylor is that he does a phenomenal job getting into dangerous positions moving forward, it’s just his final ball (be it cross or shot) is shocking. The footballing IQ is great, as there aren’t many times you see a left back with legitimate scoring chances in the opponents box (see 2 good chances vs Bournemouth), and he gets into good crossing positions with his overlap play. I genuinely think if the coaches forced him to stay after training for an hour or two of just first time crossing practice he’d be a decent player.

El Ghazi’s Rating:
Yes he’s gotten the goal, but before that the only time I noticed him was when he ruined a counter attack by straying offsides, which is really poor when you consider he was looking straight across the Everton back line every time. Credit to him for sticking the goal away though, can’t take that away from him.

Getting in behind Villa:
Have to agree with GM that our defense did a superb job at keeping Everton in front of us and limiting high danger chances, however they did get a couple chances from Gomes/Schneiderlin playing a diagnostic chip to either Digne or Coleman for a cutback towards the penalty dot which created a couple of really high quality scoring chances. You’d have to say in fairness they should have had 3 goals against us if their forwards didn’t have a finishing mare, but you’d also have to say the same thing happened to Villa last weekend vs Bournemouth. It was clearly not their night the same as last week wasn’t our day. Nice to see it finally go our way for once, though, as the double deflection dropping to Kane for the winner vs Tottenham and Harry Wilson deflection off the post and in had me wondering what kind of animal/human sacrifice was needed to get the football gods back on our side.

Final point here, it still feels fucking incredible to take 3 points, and maybe it’s time for the media to stop this “doing a Fulham” malarkey

Yank, a bit unkind to Anwar. You missed out his shot on target soon after coming on. On the night, something neither Jota nor Trez managed. Plus the goal, is not a bad impact in a short time is it?

El Ghazi played well when he came on, he’s a good option off the bench because of his trickery and he’s a bit of a guessing game in terms of what you get. As a right back, you are then up against more pace and forced to stay back. Although we do lose that defensive cover with him on the pitch. One of his first touches was a long range shot he managed to force a corner from.

Pleased for Big Wes. I cannot understand the criticism of him on here - the points are valid but they started after game 1 at Spurs away. He’s a big lad and his touch is improving, but when he gets his confidence up he’ll be like Benteke. His hold up play was really good, his touch for me is still a bit off but that’s confidence.

The atmosphere is incredible, the last time I can remember an atmosphere near this for a league game was back in the late 90’s when we were top of the league. Let’s keep it up, the banners say we’re the twelfth man, let’s play our part.

Guilbert could move into the indispensable class. Very impressed with him.

agreed, his movement on and off the ball was very impressive. His run for Grealish's quick free kick* was great, that led to the pass to Jota, sublime pass from him to Wesley and the rest is history. Oh and a great run by Wesley to be in that space.

*Lovely to see Jack not rolling about or moaning to the ref after a foul. He did what I used to LOVE about him. Got straight up, took a quick free kick and it resulted in a goal. Take note young Jack, more of that please !