Aston Villa v Everton Match Thread - Official Innit | Page 27 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Everton Match Thread - Official Innit

They certainly did! Carragher and Neville couldn't stop talking about it.

Those boys are VERY pro-Villa, especially Neville.

Sky want us in the PL and they know our owners are minted - they want us to not only stay up but to challenge in the top half ala Wolves.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$ of course but whatever :)

Getting up to speed on the posts since last night, and a couple things stood out in particular:

Neil Taylor:
The interesting thing with Neil Taylor is that he does a phenomenal job getting into dangerous positions moving forward, it’s just his final ball (be it cross or shot) is shocking. The footballing IQ is great, as there aren’t many times you see a left back with legitimate scoring chances in the opponents box (see 2 good chances vs Bournemouth), and he gets into good crossing positions with his overlap play. I genuinely think if the coaches forced him to stay after training for an hour or two of just first time crossing practice he’d be a decent player.

El Ghazi’s Rating:
Yes he’s gotten the goal, but before that the only time I noticed him was when he ruined a counter attack by straying offsides, which is really poor when you consider he was looking straight across the Everton back line every time. Credit to him for sticking the goal away though, can’t take that away from him.

Getting in behind Villa:
Have to agree with GM that our defense did a superb job at keeping Everton in front of us and limiting high danger chances, however they did get a couple chances from Gomes/Schneiderlin playing a diagnostic chip to either Digne or Coleman for a cutback towards the penalty dot which created a couple of really high quality scoring chances. You’d have to say in fairness they should have had 3 goals against us if their forwards didn’t have a finishing mare, but you’d also have to say the same thing happened to Villa last weekend vs Bournemouth. It was clearly not their night the same as last week wasn’t our day. Nice to see it finally go our way for once, though, as the double deflection dropping to Kane for the winner vs Tottenham and Harry Wilson deflection off the post and in had me wondering what kind of animal/human sacrifice was needed to get the football gods back on our side.

Final point here, it still feels fucking incredible to take 3 points, and maybe it’s time for the media to stop this “doing a Fulham” malarkey

Jota could be one he'll of a player for us once everything starts ticking
Yes xchurch, Jota is a threat going forward but offered little help to Freddie. Sunday morning positional sense. Two out and out wingers is very brave but this premier league is unforgiving.

It was a lot of money in one window, but it was absolutely necessary and we appear to have some added value already to the purchases.

Let's say we sell Engels in Jan for £30m (the going rate for a championship CB), we've either offset some of the initial investment and we have a ready made replacement in Konsa.

Off course this is not going to happen in Jan but at some stage the big boys will come in for someone and they may be allowed to leave if the price is right and it suits. And the cycle will continue.

If Maguire is worth £80m then Engels is worth £100m. No more selling cheaply.

It was a lot of money in one window, but it was absolutely necessary and we appear to have some added value already to the purchases.

Let's say we sell Engels in Jan for £30m (the going rate for a championship CB), we've either offset some of the initial investment and we have a ready made replacement in Konsa.

Off course this is not going to happen in Jan but at some stage the big boys will come in for someone and they may be allowed to leave if the price is right and it suits. And the cycle will continue.

We are one of the big boys

We are one of the big boys
Not on turnover Fulford. And because of FFP we need to increase that to compete with them. Barca turnover £700m+ ours will be £150-170m this season (unless I've missed something).

Need a world wide income stream.

Guilbert could move into the indispensable class. Very impressed with him.

I think he is so attack minded that we are going to get caught out at least once a game and Engels is going to have to cover that space. Still, it's a price worth paying. The pace of the lad is unreal and his puppy dog enthusiasm for going forward is infectious. I had to laugh when he got caught offside yesterday. I think he was offside (but not interfering with play) for Wesley's goal too.

He was out of position for Everton's attack around the 20 minute mark. They basically got a free hit down the right and couldn't do anything with it. Then we went up the other end and scored (Guilbert played a big part in that too).