Aston Villa v Brentford: Saturday 6th April, 3pm | Page 28 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Brentford: Saturday 6th April, 3pm

Brentford did a number on us yesterday, so passive for 60 minutes, letting us have the ball and making it easy for us to get a 2 goal lead,lulling us into a false sense of security and then BAM,ramp it up, pick up the pace and shock us after playing the first hour at walking pace.
Like people say it's all about mentality and for many of this squad it's new sensation to be where we are. Hopefully if we are successful in our achievements this season that winning mentality will become 2nd nature
A good starting point would be not dropping off when we go 1 or 2 up, seen it so many times.

Brentford did a number on us yesterday, so passive for 60 minutes, letting us have the ball and making it easy for us to get a 2 goal lead,lulling us into a false sense of security and then BAM,ramp it up, pick up the pace and shock us after playing the first hour at walking pace.
Not sure they had it planned that way. After letting in 2nd teams don’t have much to lose and go gung ho. Man U Luton etc. that’s when we have to revert to basic defending and not thinking we’re too good for them. When momentum swings we’ve got to be able to get strong.

Good point. Most of us watching never think job done because we've watched them too long, but the players do. They seem incapable of concentrating for the whole of the game. Not too much to ask for is it?
Spot on mate I said as we were celebrating Rogers's goal "One more and I think we've got this" As soon as they got one back I said to my lad they'll get another now and sure enough boom, the ground went silent and then it was 3, we could all see it coming, except those who were 3 sheets to the wind and the bloody players.

That is a fair point, it will be interesting to see who he prioritises in the summer, my bet is it will come as a shock to many
seems an odd sort of excuse tbh - it's not stevie g coaching the side afterall.
think the 'mentality thing is becoming a bit of a goto excuse as well tbh - maybe instead we're just not good enough to control a game and defend properly.

There were 4 of his 'own' players sat on the bench yesterday despite the injuries -
interesting to see what we do transferwise right enough - if we're allowed to do owt or have to sell off a few

think the 'mentality thing is becoming a bit of a goto excuse as well tbh - maybe instead we're just not good enough to control a game and defend properly.

There were 4 of his 'own' players sat on the bench yesterday despite the injuries -
interesting to see what we do transferwise right enough - if we're allowed to do owt or have to sell off a few
I think we'll have a shuffle around get rid of the deadwood, and bring in some leaders. When they started to press us yesterday we collapsed as we couldn't deal with the speed after playing walking football for an hour.

Good point. Most of us watching never think job done because we've watched them too long, but the players do. They seem incapable of concentrating for the whole of the game. Not too much to ask for is it?
The players did it very well against man c and arsenal at home - those two matches seem a while back now for the players - perhaps they should watch those games back. Having said that injuries have played a big part

Last edited:
I think we'll have a shuffle around get rid of the deadwood, and bring in some leaders. When they started to press us yesterday we collapsed as we couldn't deal with the speed after playing walking football for an hour.
That "walking football" has us 4th in,arguably, the best and most competitive League in World Football. Yet, we were able to up the pace when 3÷2 down and certainly merited the leveller.. We are progressing, yes, there will be bumps in the road, but we are on the up.

Perhaps we are feeling the effects of all the games and are trying to save energy when we slow it down. Who knows , I suppose we can't sustain the pace we were playing at before Christmas for 90 mins at the moment.

This is where the injuries have really harmed us .

That "walking football" has us 4th in,arguably, the best and most competitive League in World Football. Yet, we were able to up the pace when 3÷2 down and certainly merited the leveller.. We are progressing, yes, there will be bumps in the road, but we are on the up.
To recover after that shambolic 10 minutes deserves some credit - late goals and the players keeping going have certainly got us a few valuable points. I do think the seemingly current trend of not giving out yellow cards has hurt our style of play - maybe we should dish it out against Arsenal - but we all know what will happen.

Perhaps we are feeling the effects of all the games and are trying to save energy when we slow it down. Who knows , I suppose we can't sustain the pace we were playing at before Christmas for 90 mins at the moment.

This is where the injuries have really harmed us .
Newcastle limped over the line last season - think similar is happening to us - could certainly do with a confidence boost in the euro conference - another very tough game tho.

Perhaps if we'd shown that urgency at 0-0 we might have been out of sight by HT is all I'm saying, despite all the moaning on here about injuries we are still able to bring on Diaby Zaniolo Moreno and Duran, 3 of those were starters earlier in the season.

Bailey was shite yesterday.

Diaby can feel very hard done by not starting and coming on so late. Especially as Zaniolo reverted to type and was awful again.

I guess Diaby will be starting Thursday and that might have been the thinking. Sure I saw his stats for goals assists last few games and he's up there.

Diaby can feel very hard done by not starting and coming on so late. Especially as Zaniolo reverted to type and was awful again.

I guess Diaby will be starting Thursday and that might have been the thinking. Sure I saw his stats for goals assists last few games and he's up there.
Yep same with Moreno, Digne added nothing going forwards and we still conceded 3 goals so not a fat lot defensively

Moussa is fasting so I wonder if that was a factor. I was certainly surprised he didn't start.

interesting to see what we do transferwise right enough - if we're allowed to do owt or have to sell off a

Does that finish before the game Thursday?

It's Eide Tuesday - so the fasting ends then

You can see why the manager starts Rogers time and time again over Zaniolo can't you?