Aston Villa v Brentford: Saturday 6th April, 3pm | Page 27 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Brentford: Saturday 6th April, 3pm

No chance of 4th and United have games in hand so 5th is doubtful.
Today was 2 points thrown away but since Xmas our defending has been championship level at times. Torres might be a good passer but as a centre half he is little more than a statue at times. We should have got a right back in January, Konsa isnt one as he proved again today. Emery needs to concentrate onn stopping the goals against. Playing that weak team against City could turn out to be his MON moment.
I mean, we're currently 4th so I'd offer that there's definitely a chance of being 4th. We just had a bad game but that's us having a bad game in 4th rather what we're used to which is a yet-another-bad-performance when we're 14th.

I genuinely don't understand some of the things I'm reading on this website sometimes.

Are people just trying to protect themselves from potential disappointment by talking us down?

Today was 2 points thrown away but since Xmas our defending has been championship level at times. Torres might be a good passer but as a centre half he is little more than a statue at times. We should have got a right back in January, Konsa isnt one as he proved again today. Emery needs to concentrate on stopping the goals against. Playing that weak team against City could turn out to be his MON moment.
F-----g he'll,Rob. I remember you now. You were the bloke l met who found a wage packet and moaned about how much tax he paid.

Just watched the highlights.

Dublin is spot on. I'd apportion more blame to Torres and Carlos than Konsa myself. It might have been only momentarily but their positioning and movement was woeful on the goals.

It happens though. You can't be 100% 100% of the time. Ollie was spot on in his comment, as was Emery, and whilst that will be the headline as it gets overblown, it's not the story.

Anyone seriously think we could've taken top spot at the start of the year? Hopes of Champs League yes with our form, but consecutive Europe was always going to be massive.

When the red mist and disappointment from the game is over, there cannot be anyone who still does not think this has been a phenomenal season.

We aren't there yet, enjoy where we are, compared to where we were.

We still should've won that, and yes we capitulated, but we went 2-0 up, and rallied at the end. I can't be the only one who sees the improvement, even if we aren't there yet.

We gave a poor Brentford side an undeserved point because of 10 minutes total madness with our defenders going to sleep and marking empty space, and because of that we have lost 2 valuable points, but then it's not the first time they have done that this season,

Emery will know only too well, you need players and leaders all over the pitch with the right mentality to see a winning result out, and we haven't got enough of those type of players in the team, so I expect him to be busy assembling a team he feels won't let him and fellow teammates down.

I swear, supporting this clubs does my fucking head-in and what it's doing to my poor old ticker god knows.
You know what, cos the 1'st game I ever went to was in '67 I am now of a certain age and I wasn't there today. I was doing other things on my place and recorded the game, I somehow managed to avoid the score and started to watch the game at circa 0100hrs - of course proceedings in the second half did my head in and I let this be known from my den. Then of course up pops the complaints from the other half [she tries to get it but doesn't], just not what I needed. So now, ftw and a Sabbath session [with headphones]

Just watched the highlights.

Dublin is spot on. I'd apportion more blame to Torres and Carlos than Konsa myself. It might have been only momentarily but their positioning and movement was woeful on the goals.

It happens though. You can't be 100% 100% of the time. Ollie was spot on in his comment, as was Emery, and whilst that will be the headline as it gets overblown, it's not the story.

Anyone seriously think we could've taken top spot at the start of the year? Hopes of Champs League yes with our form, but consecutive Europe was always going to be massive.

When the red mist and disappointment from the game is over, there cannot be anyone who still does not think this has been a phenomenal season.

We aren't there yet, enjoy where we are, compared to where we were.

We still should've won that, and yes we capitulated, but we went 2-0 up, and rallied at the end. I can't be the only one who sees the improvement, even if we aren't there yet.

I fully agree. The progress under Unai has been remarkable, more than that, it has been spectacular.

Still, not finishing with CL (be it 4th or 5th) will be a terrible outcome given that we could have been top of the league on New Year's Day if the ref did his job.

Today was 2 points thrown away but since Xmas our defending has been championship level at times. Torres might be a good passer but as a centre half he is little more than a statue at times. We should have got a right back in January, Konsa isnt one as he proved again today. Emery needs to concentrate on stopping the goals against. Playing that weak team against City could turn out to be his MON moment.
I'm glad you have said that.

Your predictions in the Erod thread have been so poor the exact opposite is bound to happen.

Thank you.

Waking up early on Sunday morning has enabled me to read through the whole of the match thread. My God, if a match thread encapsulates what being a Villa fan is all about, this one must be the template…joy, depression, frustration, pessimism and hope all rolled into one! A never ending roller coaster of emotions!

I still can't believe we let in three goals in ten minutes.
I can, we keep conceding silly goals and clean sheets are a rare thing, I hoped, even thought Unai had sorted us defensively but we are mentally weak once we concede one. Same at Luton and Man Utd Forest, thankfully we have the mentality to fight back in most games. I wish we'd start games like we finished yesterday, fast and aggressive on the front foot. We can do it so, why the walking football persists I don't know, it's so frustrating, having a break on and waiting until Brentford had 11 behind the ball and watching us play side to side and keep the ball with no real threat. I'm not sure how our players can look so tired when they spend most games walking.

I still can't believe we let in three goals in ten minutes.

From the same bloody move as well. The first was bad luck seeing as it came from a mi's hit header then a wildly miscued shot but the others were pure poor defending. How Pau and Carlos let their guy get that volley in with not pressure is pretty pathetic.

A real shame as Carlos had been magnificent up to that point. Especially first half. We've not been as good this season defensively as we were in the second half of last season which is something we need to work on.

Just watched MOT'D, what an absolute shit show from our back line, all their goals coming down our right, they knew Konsa was weak in that position, we all did, looks like our decision not to get a covering RB in, will/could end up costing us.

Just watched MOT'D, what an absolute shit show from our back line, all their goals coming down our right, they knew Konsa was weak in that position, we all did, looks like our decision not to get a covering RB in, will/could end up costing us.
Konsa is the hardest player to get past in the top 5 European leagues but yesterday he was awful just as Moreno was against the Wolves.

Goals against column now on 49 and growing recently. Great going forward and in possession and what a buy Rogers looks like. Despite having one of the best goalkeepers in the league we are extremely vulnerable at the back when it comes to defending basics. As Unai says, it’s all very strange.

You know what, cos the 1'st game I ever went to was in '67 I am now of a certain age and I wasn't there today. I was doing other things on my place and recorded the game, I somehow managed to avoid the score and started to watch the game at circa 0100hrs - of course proceedings in the second half did my head in and I let this be known from my den. Then of course up pops the complaints from the other half [she tries to get it but doesn't], just not what I needed. So now, ftw and a Sabbath session [with headphones]
I was with you until you mentioned the headphones 🎧.😁

Funnily enough, under Unai and with our best XI, we can give them all a game.

We have learned the hard way about squad depth this season.
I’d argue that we’ve developed some depth. Any other season and we’d be stuffed with the injuries we’ve suffered.

It’ll take time to develop the kind of depth that the Sky6 have and it’ll have to be achieved by bringing through youth and being very shrewd in the transfer market. Never an easy thing to achieve as all transfers are a risk and risking all on a youth policy would be even more risky.

Last edited:
Brentford did a number on us yesterday, so passive for 60 minutes, letting us have the ball and making it easy for us to get a 2 goal lead,lulling us into a false sense of security and then BAM,ramp it up, pick up the pace and shock us after playing the first hour at walking pace.
Like people say it's all about mentality and for many of this squad it's new sensation to be where we are. Hopefully if we are successful in our achievements this season that winning mentality will become 2nd nature