Aston Villa v Brentford: Saturday 6th April, 3pm | Page 24 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Brentford: Saturday 6th April, 3pm

We really don't know how to break momentum of teams. Conceding 2 goals in 2 mins shows a mentality problem, it was the same in the luton game, the boxing day united game, both Newcastle games, capitulations once the opposition got momentum going. Folding faster than superman on laundry day. Its like we go into shock - need someone to settle things, even at the kick off again, hold it for a minute, get us back settled, take the sting away. Maybe unai could make a substitution to break momentum.

Not wanting to sound defeatist, 5th would still be progress for us, sure it's a kick in the bollix since we've been 4th or higher for a considerable amount of time. But Its not over. Spurs are spursy but in typical villa fashion, we beat teams we're not meant to and drop points when we shouldn't either.
Hoping the gap between us and united stays at 12 points by tomorrow evening, spurs have a horrendous run coming and will drop points too.
Wouldn't consider many of our remaining games easy gimmes either, but this is one hell of a ride!
I get it, 18 months ago we were canon fodder and poorly coached for the 24-36 months prior to that. Until Unai came along you could count our comebacks on one hand.

Unfortunately I think it’s time, coaching, being put in the position and the injection of a few players who don’t have that mentality. There is no easy fix to this problem and as studies have shown. When athletes are made aware of things like this it can actually get worse.

We’ll get there but like we said many months ago Unai has to crack some eggs. We need our own Rodri in midfield and another commanding Centre Back.

2 pts thrown away, players were sloppy in defence but even at 3-2 down I thought we could still win this. just thought it was going to be one of those crazy games! I have to be honest, Dougie looks like he could do with a rest, he was shocking today, could have been sent off..Pleased for Rogers and Ollie banging

Could other teams be making hard work for us - I agree today was dropping the ball - to think we dispatched wolves was a surprise to me - it’s their cup final this last season or so

Teams are always going to make it hard for us, but 2-0 up at home to a bottom half club and not winning is criminal at this stage of the season with where we want to get.

Bye bye champions league. This is an absolute disgrace. I genuinely hate this club.

Spurs will be in dreamland tonight.
Dude, I'm not having a dig at you and appreciate we all have high emotions during the game but why on earth say "I GENUINELY hate this club"?

I know you don't mean it but it's that sort of emotive comment that gets people's backs up because win, lose or draw we love this bloody club

It felt on the cards today when I saw some pre and post match thoughts v Citeh.. Too complacent ..

Too much reliance on picking and choosing matches..

It ain't and never will be that simple.

Aren't villa the best team at least points dropped from leading?
Only 3pts before today....2 more now.

So collapses actually not overly costing us.

That made me look, and you are correct.

Maybe it was the collapse at MU that clouded my memory.

Aren't villa the best team at least points dropped from leading?
Only 3pts before today....2 more now.

So collapses actually not overly costing us.

Don't forget the collapses we got away with, like Luton and Forest.

Maybe the only positive today is that surely Unai won't allow this to happen again this season.

Dude, I'm not having a dig at you and appreciate we all have high emotions during the game but why on earth say "I GENUINELY hate this club"?

I know you don't mean it but it's that sort of emotive comment that gets people's backs up because win, lose or draw we love this bloody club
Xchurch Villa, thousands of Villans saw us struggle through the sixties and early seventies. We loved the Villa then just as we loved them when we were Champions of England and beat Bayern Munich and Barcelona in European Cup Finals. As wind ups go-----'.

I don't know what will happen from now on in, but if people don't think we need to rely on other results, you're fucking deluded.

We're really making hard work of "taking care of our own business"

Yes, I also hate having to rely on other teams to fuck-up, but then this is the roller-coaster ride that is Aston Villa FC, and It's pretty much always been that way for me after nearly 60 years of following them.

They have probably taken years off my life expectancy as well :yes:

Disappointing afternoon and tbh don’t know what’s disappointed me the most, the second half ten minutes of madness or the booking of Doug in the 97th minute. Yet another big headache selection wise for the next two. He’s going to be such a big miss. Talk about making it difficult for ourselves. A bloody frustrating afternoon all round.

Don't forget the collapses we got away with, like Luton and Forest.

Maybe the only positive today is that surely Unai won't allow this to happen again this season.

You would hope so. But we've kept very few clean sheets this season - even in games we've totally dominated.

I'd shift Konsa to CB as soon as we are able - and be looking for a commanding centre half along side him for next season. That man maybe Ming's - but no knowing how he will be when he gets back from injury.

Pleased for Rogers. The first of many. Nice to see SJM back but why did we take our foot off the gas, lose composure and concentration and allow the opposition to get up such a head of steam? It would be a good idea to show the energy and intent we showed for the last 20 minutes a little earlier in the game.
The pressure of a long season, multiple game weeks and the draining effect of injuries, resulting in an unsettled team are having an impact. Still plenty to play for though. Unai can see us through.

It’s not over until it’s over
In spite of my comments about a weak mentality there is character there. Most teams who go 3-2 down after being 2-0 up just lose. Especially with only 20 minutes on the clock.

We can still make 4th but I do think it might end up being 5th. Spurs aren’t missing first team players and only have the league. They have a slight edge.

Feels like a bad loss. 10 minutes of madness has probably cost us a top 4 spot. My only consolation is that we showed some gumption to get the equaliser and I believe we will stagger over the line to 5th place and possible champions league football.

Not often seen so negative a side come to Villa Park. Completely parked the bus from the first minute. They are also one of the most snide teams in the league. Genuinely thought when Rogers scored that was it as they'd threatened so little. Unfortunately it was apparent some of the players thought the same.

First goal was a catastrophe really. Bad marking allowing a free header that the guy completely skewed directly to another free Brentford player who miss hits a shit straight to first bloke. Utterly disastrous defending for all 3.

After that it settled back to how the game was before we scored our first. Great header from Ollie rescued a point and we really pressured them but it wasn't to be. You can't defend like that after being so in control and say you deserved to win.

We move to Thursday and another game we need to win. Especially after that near disaster.