Ashes Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

Ashes Thread

Series over? England coming back from this is about as likely as Lincoln coming back from a goal down.

Pretty sure a decision on an early Saturday morning rise to watch the game won't be required.
They always say, strong Yorkshire is a strong England!

I think this is a series I will not be making a great deal of effort to follow.

Unless the pommies turn it around of course ............

Mind you im suprised no one is blaming the umpries lol ... official bashing seems to happen a lot on here , well not this particular thread lol

Mind you im suprised no one is blaming the umpries lol ... official bashing seems to happen a lot on here , well not this particular thread lol
I always aim to watch day 1 of each test. Let's just say I take it from there.

Unlike football, cricket 'VAR' at that level, seems to have settled down and imo works quite well now. The only really bad decisions I can recall in the last year or so were during England's tour of India when a batsman wasn't given out when blatantly stumped and they didn't roll the tape long enough to see the ball deflect from the pad onto the glove for a catch at short leg.

I do think that the pace and objective nature of cricket decisions lends itself better to the process than the often more subjective calls that have to be made for football.

Of course where DRS isn't in play, cricketers already know what the decision will be for LBW depending on whether the umpire is a former batsman or bowler.

Somewhat surprisingly the game is still progressing England, 136-2 with a partnership of over 70 between Malan and Root.

Wow, looks like a game of cricket broke out overnight!
I actually stuck with it and watched the whole day. I'll start off again tonight but it will only take five wickets in a session to send me scuttling.

The good thing about test cricket is that the format and length of a match lends itself to occasional truly memorable impossible events more than most sports. When test match cricket is 'on it' there is no more a dramatic sporting event on the planet that can be matched. When it's bad, well....

Knowledge of that can sometimes just trigger a vibe to keep me watching whilst in a state of delusion or denial, and when something like a Stokes innings at Headingly comes off I have a quiet satisfied nod.

Anyway, having said all that I'll probably end up contradicting myself and head off at 2am with 8 down and a lead of 20 on the board.

I actually stuck with it and watched the whole day. I'll start off again tonight but it will only take five wickets in a session to send me scuttling.

The good thing about test cricket is that the format and length of a match lends itself to occasional truly memorable impossible events more than most sports. When test match cricket is 'on it' there is no more a dramatic sporting event on the planet that can be matched. When it's bad, well....

Knowledge of that can sometimes just trigger a vibe to keep me watching whilst in a state of delusion or denial, and when something like a Stokes innings at Headingly comes off I have a quiet satisfied nod.

Anyway, having said all that I'll probably end up contradicting myself and head off at 2am with 8 down and a lead of 20 on the board.

I'm going to do a couple of hours tonight, I think. Have been listening a bit but drifting off to sleep (in the case of the first two days, mercifully)!

I'm going to do a couple of hours tonight, I think. Have been listening a bit but drifting off to sleep (in the case of the first two days, mercifully)!
All the experts confidently predicted that day three was when the strip was going to be a road to bat on, and they were right. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn into a bridle way on day four.

Has no one mentioned the Stokes no balls? Because of a failure of technology poor old umpires had to call their own no balls. So they missed 4 in a row from Stokes, 4th one he bowled Warner because he had no idea he was over stepping as not being called.
Presume same issue is why they haven’t got snicko on review. And the reason they haven’t been able to fix it is because the snicko repair man is in another state and because of Covid rules can’t get to Brisbane.
You couldn’t make it up.

I've not watched much of the ashes, but of the 45 minutes or so I've seen in total I'm on England 25-6. Very grim watching, I'm cursed.

Well awoke this morning hoping to see us 200 in front and still batting but it’s all over. Lost the last eight wickets for 77…..after all the hard work from Root and Malan. One goes and the rest fall like a pack of cards. As Rasen says….it’s the hope..

I’ve watched the morning play on 3 out of 4 days. You can guess I didn’t on day 3 so I’m not a good omen.
But what I saw today, mostly we just gave wickets away.
At least I don’t have to worry about watching tonight, it’s hard work listening to the Aussie commentators, who are as I read are the matiest mates you ever knew. The token Pom being Isha Guha (sp) who I do detect a slightly patronising approach from co commentators.

Caught my first bit of live action this morning. Saw us go from 2 to 7 down in the blink of an eye. It isn't news to anyone, our batting lineup wouldn't last a day on a Christmas tree before shattering into blunt shards.
After 2 lads show the way, most of the rest show the complete lack of ability for the longer form of cricket. Listening to Cook, you are just made more aware of it. All of the things that they are told not to do as youngsters. No problem with nine, ten, jack throwing the bat around when the game is gone. The top order just isn't anywhere near good, or disciplined enough.
5-0 written large all over it.

Good to see that in this crazy unpredictable world there are some beacons of constancy - death, taxes, England batting collapses.