Ashes Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

Ashes Thread

Yeah he's not the same player, such a same.
Trouble we're so short of test match standard batsmen right now it's scary.
Denly, Roy, Buttler and Bairstow aren't consistent enough to play test cricket but I haven't a clue who replaces them as we've gone all out on limited overs cricket.

Remember Mike Brearley , not noted as the best player in the world , but had a cricketing brain. That's the type of player who the little pommies want as a captain .

In my cricketing days , one of the best captains I played for was a bowler. Perhaps they should go down that road

The captain isn't the problem, it's the other 9 around him and Stokes.
Maybe Root isn't the stuff of leaders, but the lad can play test cricket. Not something you can say of his team.
Indeed see my earlier post I'd only keep Burns, Root and Stokes in the first 7. Trouble is finding test match standard replacements.
Just make the dropping of Woakes even more baffling imho.

Looking highly unlikely at 146-6, although to be honest at 25-2 in the 1st innings I wasn’t expecting us to take it deep into the final day

Looking highly unlikely at 146-6, although to be honest at 25-2 in the 1st innings I wasn’t expecting us to take it deep into the final day

36 overs to survive with 4 wkts remaining, little chance of rain ( is it getting dark yet?). Come on you England !!

Good effort on the final day, once it got under 20 overs left part of me started to believe but it wasn’t to be

Well done Australia, better side throughout in having by far the best player on either side. Be interesting to see their bowlers bowling to their batsmen be curious to see if they struggled as much as our batsmen.
The ecb need to start taking red ball cricket as seriously as white ball stuff again as imho it's been forgotten for the last four years especially.

Meaning even more our batsmen will get bowled through the gate like Bairstow and Roy, great!