Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread

I think it wiil take time, like last year. But it it may be too late to save us. We werecoming from pretty much the lowest level via the play offs and now we have a load of new players.

It’s good that they care so much to want to do something about it. So different from the past. I remember Lescott’s main concern after a 6-0 home defeat was his next car purchase. I don’t see us as being out of our depth at all and I certainly don’t see anything rotten in the state of Villa. We’re on course to get 26 points at mo based on 4 from 6! Once we get going and get a deeper team understanding we’ll put some decent and complete performances in.

Anyone seen the Arsenal player stood at the back of the wall for the free kick that gave them victory? A new rule this year states that if a side has a wall of 3 or more players, the attacking team cannot have a player in the wall, or indeed within 1 metre of the wall. Don't wish to sound hard done by, but, when are we going to get a break?
Its not about us getting a break Morley, its about the useless, spineless bloody referees and Stockly Park actually enforcing the rules on a consistent basis.

I'm alluding to everything, we aren't right... as you know, I've thought this from the get go, not said too much on the forum, I want to see how things pan out in 10 or so games, only fair. Just don't understand why there was quite so much excitement over players I've never heard of and was hoping the excitement was well founded by those who watch those there foreign leagues.

Not having some Prem experience looked folly to me, that is how it is still looking. Relying on some players who weren't even able to light up the Championship (have people forgotten we were 5th?) seemed like folly. Buying only one striker also looked like folly.

Nothing, as yet, has given me any confidence. I'm naturally an optimist, but I am also a realist. I need convincing, I still hope to be convinced, but on current showing, I am far from convinced yet. I usually feed off others optimism when I don't have any, but a lot of it looks unfounded to me. That isn't a dig at anyone, just I am seeing things differently.

Maybe we'll scrape by until January and we'll purchase a few more. Maybe.

It just sounds so much like when we were last relegated. Signings we had never heard of, hard done by tales and disagreements in the dressing room. Fans saying the team would come good arguing with those that didn’t agree.

"I don't know what it is at the moment but something needs to change. Maybe it's a mentality thing. Maybe we need to work on certain things. We're professional footballers who have played in the Premier League."

Things aren't right. Feel free to just admit you are always wrong, stand in the corner in your wrongness and just wallow in being wrong.
Paying out wages of reported £50k a week to Grealish McGinn etc etc so soon may have something to do with it. It was like we have reached the promised land so there’s loads of money to players that could have maybe been made to wait to show what they can do at a higher level. I am also wondering how Hourihane, Luiz, Steer and to some extent Targett are feeling about not getting game time or being left out. The next 2 teams picked will be very interesting

Its not about us getting a break Morley, its about the useless, spineless bloody referees and Stockly Park actually enforcing the rules on a consistent basis.[/QUOTE. Yes, shocking reffing has cost us big time. But every goal we have conceded has been caused by a defensive error. Just my opinion but Hause is worth a game and Hourihane played closer to Wesley is always a goal threat. Would like to see us with a more solid shape.Two wide men is fine if they are Ray Grayson and Tony Morley,but they ain't.

"I don't know what it is at the moment but something needs to change. Maybe it's a mentality thing. Maybe we need to work on certain things. We're professional footballers who have played in the Premier League."

Things aren't right. Feel free to just admit you are always wrong, stand in the corner in your wrongness and just wallow in being wrong.

I actually just read the article before coming on here.

I think Mings does say it best however I am not all doom and gloom, his words arent all doom and gloom. I watched 60 minutes of the game but could only stomach 80 minutes of it before shutting it off.

We played very well 11 vs. 11 and even made slight resurgence at 1-1 but Mings is 100% right we get desperate when we lead and slowly move deeper and deeper - every second that ticks by feels the end gets further away.

For me it is a two or three fold issue - I think Deano is right we've lost our ruthless mentality and are afraid to attack. I think the next issue is even if we do attack our wide men simply are not good enough and the 3rd issue is Wesley. That ball just kept coming back on Sunday and it is worrying Deano didnt recognise it and bring on Davis I 100% believe his hunger, workrate and strength would have galvanized the team enough to get them playing like at Palace.

Mistakes and terrible decision making are killing us but there is a larger root cause which I think is a combination of mentality, inexperience and talent which causes the mistakes. Look at all the mistakes we've made this season - its incredible how poor they are. I think 6 of the goals we've conceded go down to individual errors. I think the front 3 will improve and have potential but they need to start stepping up quickly. Any hint of Wesley not being in the game I'd have to say you need to just haul him off and play Davis because he hasnt let us down yet.

We're going to struggle this year there is no doubt about it and we need to see 6 or 7 points from our next 3 games or the atmosphere could turn.

Yes JP. It will be interesting to see the line up for the Brighton game re the players you mention. Much to 57s disgust I am somewhat of a Hourihane fan. I know he is almost universally disliked on these pages but I think if played a bit further forward he offers us something.

A point lost at Palace because of Friend. A point lost yesterday when a clear penalty is ignored by the ref and VAR saves his embarrassment.
When is this “decisions even themselves out” bollocks going to cut in?

Feels like the VV meltdown has come early. Let me just clarify on behalf of all of us on here who aren’t resigned to relegation just yet, we aren’t saying it’s perfect and things do need to change quickly. If we end up 17th this season that’ll do and we can build further for next year.

Nothing wrong with Mings coming out and saying things need to change, the pressure on jack as captain needs to be spread across the more senior players. He does need to be careful who he calls out but the likes of El Ghazi are hurting us defensively.

The team is gelling.
The players without PL experience are learning - quickly.
The manager and coaches are learning.
There is a transfer window in January.
There are 10 or 11 teams who could quite easily go down this season, I wouldn’t write off anyone as safe not even wolves or Everton, until they hit 40 points.

It isn't a meltdown at all, it's just fans with different views on the match and this season.

I'm waiting for something to give me confidence. Yesterday wasn't it. I'll still be there e at games cheering us on. Plus, perfectly calm if the worst comes to the worst.

It is still early, but I don't think we have to all be happy clappers just to fit in!

Or are Mings and Mcginn also in meltdown? Nah!

Oh and your points I've made pretty much as well. But the league is unforgiving. We don't have that much time to learn. The manager and coaches shouldn't be needing lessons now btw

The team is gelling.
The players without PL experience are learning - quickly.
The manager and coaches are learning.
There is a transfer window in January.
There are 10 or 11 teams who could quite easily go down this season, I wouldn’t write off anyone as safe not even wolves or Everton, until they hit 40 points.

One win in 6 doesn't t feel like they are learning. 2 of those games we played against 10 men .

They need to hurry up.

January might be too late .

It will be interesting to see what the owners do, stick or hold with Smith in couple of months. Some of my predictions, many in jest could easily come to roost. Ironic if they do as disappointing non the less