Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread

Just watched the highlights again and all I can really say is bravo, we played really well and deserved something from the game.

The 3 goals conceeded were all individual errors (2 from Engles 1 from Mings), however the pair have been outstanding so far this season so it's really not a worry for me. Just one of those days.

We defo should have had a penalty at the end. As someone said above we've been robbed of late equalisers now in our last 2 away games by poor refereeing.

I think we have the makings of a really really good team. In fact we get better every time I see us play. It's going to come good. I think if we can get a couple of wins under our belts our season will really take off.

We absolutely battered Arsenal in that first half. We were creative, dynamic, forward thinking, it was beautiful to watch. This is an Arsenal side who had lost just 1 in 20 at home... yet we went there and bossed them from the off. We keep playing like that and cut out the individual mistakes and we're gonna start winning games. No doubt in my mind... oh and the refs not cheating us every week would help too.

Agree , we need desperately need a win though to keep the confidence levels up.

And mine lol.

It's a hard defeat to take , very hard. Am absolutely gutted .
The concentration and intensity have got to be stepped up for sure.

This is how I feel, we faded against 10 men and considering we played twice a week last season we should be able to run our nuts off for 90 mins now.

Just this second heard the BBC news presenter say Arsenal are 4th while Villa remain in the relegation zone.

Something that is now reality is not nice to hear, i hate it

You have to think if a midfielder like Luiz is replacing El Ghazi with 20 mins to go and leave Trezeguet on for the outlet with his pace would have been a much better call than Elmo. There was zero composure.

Have we found out why Luiz wasn't even on the bench yet

The whole sitting back thing, I honestly don't think it's a concious decision either by the players or Smith.

I don't think we go a goal up and think, right lets just stop playing and let them come on to us.

What we need to remember is that Arsenal are a team of world class players... when they decide to step it up a gear or two then they have that ability to put most teams under the kosh.

I think it's less about us sitting back and more about them deciding to throw men forward and they just really started to make their quality show.

Of course when a team like Arsenal start to throw men forward it is gonna cause panic and thats exactly what happened.

I think it's time to scrap VAR , it should work in theory , but the reality is it is being operated by incompetent fools and the clear and obvious errors that it was bought in to eliminate are still happening.

I think it's time to scrap VAR , it should work in theory , but the reality is it is being operated by incompetent fools and the clear and obvious errors that it was bought in to eliminate are still happening.
Surely a better system would have ex players,with no links to either team, making the decisions.As things stand,refs are backing up their mates.Lunatics running the asylum?

The whole sitting back thing, I honestly don't think it's a concious decision either by the players or Smith.

I don't think we go a goal up and think, right lets just stop playing and let them come on to us.

What we need to remember is that Arsenal are a team of world class players... when they decide to step it up a gear or two then they have that ability to put most teams under the kosh.

I think it's less about us sitting back and more about them deciding to throw men forward and they just really started to make their quality show.

Of course when a team like Arsenal start to throw men forward it is gonna cause panic and thats exactly what happened.

McGinn didn't seem impressed with how they had played, even questioned their fitness.

As always with Villa, something isn't right!

And panic, yes, maybe, Norwich didn't crumble v 11 Man City players though, we did v a not exactly full of confidence 10 men of Arsenal.

Oh and from MOTD2, if that wasn't handball, I don't know what was.

or just check on actual goals maybe.

McGinn didn't seem impressed with how they had played, even questioned their fitness.

As always with Villa, something isn't right!

And panic, yes, maybe, Norwich didn't crumble v 11 Man City players though, we did v a not exactly full of confidence 10 men of Arsenal.

Oh and from MOTD2, if that wasn't handball, I don't know what was.

I do worry there is something not right since the season kicked off, especially with the players. El Ghazi, Mings and now McGinn making comments or showing they aren’t together. Maybe it’s the pressure of playing at a different level, Grealish is an example of this. Over to the manager and coaches, again another step up for most apart from maybe Terry.

norwich didn't crumble v 11 Man City players though, we did v a not exactly full of confidence 10 men of Arsenal.

Well yes, but Norwich were certainly backs to the wall for most of that 2nd half defending for their lived. Main difference being they didn't make any individual errors. Is that lack of concentration, or just one of those things that can happen to anyone at any time?

I get what McGinn is saying as there does seem to be a pattern forming but I don't think it's as easy as saying we chose to sit back.... The quality teams push you back.

We probably just need to be calmer and keep possession better in those situations as we did give them the ball back far too easily at times.... Again I think that's just a bit of panic, but we'll learn to deal with situations better as we grow.

I take more positives than negatives from this game, scoring twice at the Emirates, Wes scoring again, 2 in 6 from a player with a career record of 1 in 3. Ref made 2 poor decisions, their 2nd yellow never was & the handball missed which was a blatant penalty. Rare mistake from Mings, not clearing the ball for their 2nd, Engels looked a bit shaky for the 1st time. It was never going to be easy this season, but, I do see us surviving, just.

Wonder why,for the first time in football history,no English referees were selected for the Russian World Cup?

Too many errors, if they aren't ironed out, as a team, there is only one direction we'll go. John certainly didn't look impressed, which was nice to see.

We probably just need to be calmer and keep possession better in those situations as we did give them the ball back far too easily at times.... Again I think that's just a bit of panic, but we'll learn to deal with situations better as we grow.

You make it sound like we have all the time in the world to 'grow'. We don't and it gets worse if confidence can't be kept. From the way McGinn was talking, he looked totally peed off. You then had Mings/El Ghazi at each other the other day.

Things aren't right. They need to click pretty damn quickly, like Saturday coming!

You make it sound like we have all the time in the world to 'grow'. We don't and it gets worse if confidence can't be kept. From the way McGinn was talking, he looked totally peed off. You then had Mings/El Ghazi at each other the other day.

Things aren't right. They need to click pretty damn quickly, like Saturday coming!

We're getting better every time I see us against tough teams.

You're making it sound like we should be expected to dominate and beat top 6 teams.

Things are definitely 'right'. The team looks full of talent and I have no doubt results will follow when we start playing the teams around us.

Fair play to those with the positive outlook from yesterday. Genuinely, not being sarcastic.

But as for me. I’m disappointed that we lost to ten men after being in the lead twice. I am disappointed that we have lost 4 out of 6 games. We are finding excuses in every game as to why we didn’t win, whether it’s VAR, 10 mins of madness or a player being sent off for us or the other team ( as its really hard playing against 10 men two games in a row)

Carry on like this and it’s going to be awful. Performances are not good enough as we would have won more games. Should of, could of, maybe isn’t good enough for me I’m afraid. Results and the table don’t lie and that’s all that will count in May.

You're right, just a bad 20 mins really.

I agree Guendouzi won it for them, I was surprised at how strong he is, I thought he was a weed.

As for the decisions, it's just deflating. Since the Palace debacle I'm surprised anything goes our way. VAR is utterly pointless.
VAR is not utterly pointless. It is there to do a job, and that job is to protect the officials from blame, and that is what it is doing,
Instead of the referee getting the blame for missed decisions, VAR now gets it in the neck.
We had a nailed on penalty at the end of the game which should have been given by the referee, but all the discussion on MOTD2 was why didnt VAR pick it up. It almost completeley exonorates the officials from any blame whatsoever.
All this system ever does is overturn goals scored, it never gives anything the ref misses in favour of the attacking side.
Mrs wittonite, who knows nothing about football, and cares even less made the observation that VAR is like the refs equivilant of the Freemason Lodge, allowing the officials on the pitch and those at Stockley Park to close ranks.