Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread

Players questioned it, which was interesting though. I would MUCH rather it be fitness than mentality, as Mings questioned.

Deano just confirmed in his press conference as I suspected that tiredness was not an issue against Arsenal. Not just his opinion but backed up by the running stats, our running levels didn't deteriorate at all.

He thinks it was more down to decision making and I tend to agree... it's uncharted waters for us really and when Arsenal come at you gung ho its hard not to just get rid and keep giving them the ball back. We need to be calmer in possession but it will come. Every setback is a lesson to learn.
Did he elaborate on whose decision making, his and the coaching staff or players on the pitch.

It's possible to read to much into players' comments. The word mentality can refer to anything from high levels of concentration slipping a tad to just not being up for it. Reckon the comments after the Arsenal game were more the former.

I find that condescending. Not meant to be I'm sure, but I do understand football, passion and emotions. But Mings of all people, is no idiot, he knows what he is saying. I don't think he was claiming doomsday problems on mentality but I liked the fact him and Mings were open and honest, no bull, no 'I thought we were great', I liked them looking gutted at losing, it shows they are winners.

Why are some seemingly afraid to hear the players, or fans, questioning what is happening early doors this season? It is bloody excellent, if they aren't right mentally, in whatever capacity, it is fantastic that two top players are on it, not even managers, players, looking, talking with others and saying they don't think this is good enough and that they'll work to turn things around.

It actually gives me hope that they are looking inwardly as to results, because they want success and aren't pointing fingers elsewhere.

Great bunch, hope they've had a great week training, talking things over, planning and getting ready for Burnley.

I think it must have been something on their minds from the West Ham game, not being able to take advantage against 10 men, and then at Arsenal the same scenario but worse.

It has to be a mentality thing, and I agree it's good to hear them talk about it. Let's just hope whatever it is can be looked at and sorted out.

Agreed, some of it is easily fixed I think, just get a few wins. Confidence is a funny thing, it can be very fragile, even when you know you have played ok or well, if results don't go your way, it has to affect you.

Get a win v Burnley, to add to the lovely Cup win, then points out of the next two and all of a sudden, I'm sure they will all feel more relaxed and confident.

Then we play Man City :grinning::lol:

If you look at the predictions for each game, there is still an overwhelming sense of optimism. Whether this is stupidity (on my part definitely) or genuine optimism, I can't be sure, but not many predict defeats regularly.

To me, it's a rough and ready litmus test of how we have reconnected with the club. There is very little bile or vitriol on this site anymore, just a healthy exchange of opinions.

Dont know if anyone has already posted this, but as someone on here said Saturday the Arsenal winner should have been cancelled out.
Daily Mail running a story about the legallity of the wall under the new rules and state clearly the goal should have been ruled out. Surprise Surprise VAR doesnt check for this so its not their fault.
REVEALED: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's late winner for Arsenal against Aston Villa should NOT have
STOOD.

It shouldn't have been a free kick. It was a total dive. There was no contact.