Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread

We're getting better every time I see us against tough teams.

You're making it sound like we should be expected to dominate and beat top 6 teams.

Things are definitely 'right'. The team looks full of talent and I have no doubt results will follow when we start playing the teams around us.

Nope, I don't know how you have taken that from my posts, my expectations are low, so can't be thinking we'll dominate. We've shipped in another 3 goals v top oppo, same as v Spurs, so not sure I see the improvement, especially when Arsenal are more fragile and were down to 10 men.

You obviously disagree with McGinn then, he clearly didn't think things were right. 4 points from 18 don't suggest things are right. If this is right, then fair enough, I enjoy the Championship.

Anyone seen the Arsenal player stood at the back of the wall for the free kick that gave them victory? A new rule this year states that if a side has a wall of 3 or more players, the attacking team cannot have a player in the wall, or indeed within 1 metre of the wall. Don't wish to sound hard done by, but, when are we going to get a break?

No, I don't disagree with Mcginn. I think it's perfectly natural to be upset having lost a game you were leading. I think it's perfectly sensible to pose questions and look for answers.

I'm not sure saying things 'aren't right' is valid though.

That suggests deep rooted problems and a troubled squad. I don't see that at all.

I see a good squad. Talented, happy, working hard for each other. United.

Are they making mistakes? Yes. And we'll no doubt continue to do so, but we are one of the favourites to go down for a reason. it's a tough league.

However all I'm saying is I see enough good things to not go OTT or panic mode. i think we're playing some good stuff. I think we'll beat a lot of the teams who are on our level.

I just don't see doom and gloom. I see things to be excited about.

We had to make so many changes in the summer, thanks to previous mismanagement, I always felt it would be a struggle this season. Lots of changes at once haven’t worked out too well in the past either.

What disappoints me is that after all those signings and money spent our front 3 aren’t that good and we have a real lack of options off the bench. Taylor is simply not good enough (even though I like him, he gives his all each game) and I was never convinced by the Targett signing, what’s happened to him?!

However, I thought we looked much improved first half and second half, 10 men or not Arsenal are a quality side and when they turn the screw not many teams can withstand them, cheating bastards that they are. Heaton is quality, Guilbert is looking good, despite the errors yesterday our defensive 2 are looking mostly solid, McGinn is awesome, Jack is getting better and still our main man.

I think we’ll keep improving and If we can make a few good attacking signings in Jan it should make a big difference. I just hope we haven’t lost too many and too much confidence by then and the signing we need will be available, plus the money there.

Also, we’ve still got Deano and he’s definitely still the man. Not perfect, but who the hell is?!

Anyone seen the Arsenal player stood at the back of the wall for the free kick that gave them victory? A new rule this year states that if a side has a wall of 3 or more players, the attacking team cannot have a player in the wall, or indeed within 1 metre of the wall. Don't wish to sound hard done by, but, when are we going to get a break?

That coupled with the penalty we should have had.... but no its all excuses, we're not allowed to feel hard done by, we're crap and going down coz we lost away to a top 6 team who's home record is outstanding.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be happy after a defeat. Deano wasn't happy , the fans weren't happy , the players weren't happy. I would rather see that than the likes of Ben Foster joking about being beaten 8 times on Saturday.

McGinn like everyone else is looking for reasons why we lost and I think his words were rhetorical rather than stating a fact.

I don't think it suggests that things aren't right though , I have been in dressing rooms where there has nearly been a fight after a defeat , but I know it didn't mean things weren't right.

Think the big problem towards the end wasn't so much sitting back as losing our shape. For their third goal we were a mess; Engels losing the ball was bad enough but we were a bit too open behind him.

Ironic that mistakes by the two main pillars of our normally reliable defence cost us all three goals. Although Arsenal deserve credit for the pressure which led to the mistakes.

All the players are learning and hopefully will get better, even the very good ones. For Mings and Engels, who have generally been outstanding, to be the root of the 3 mistakes which caused the 3 goals is surprising. They can learn from this.

Mings does strike me as having a mistake in him every game, which he needs to cut out. It's usually when he tries to pass out from a congested defence. Yesterday he should have headed out. Engels treads a thin line but sometimes a defender has to. Still not sure what he did wrong for the free kick which lead to the third goal; the defender went down very easily.

I hate to be right all the time, but well, I just am.

McGinn says things aren't right. Now Mings does.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...KzCMPVBaz4z91BrmeI4RH6J2TeDyG42lGA6_GTGqnPbCg

We can kid ourselves, or we can look to where we can improve. 4 points in 18, things aren't right. It's a simple old league really, if you need myself, McGinn or Mings to explain it more, I'm sure we'll find the time for you.

:nerner:

I thought this game I was going to be proven wrong in my negative thoughts that we'll pull off no surprises this season. I was sitting perfectly happy in the knowledge I so wanted to be wrong. Then, despite being down to 10 men, we blew it and yes, the ref didn't help at the end, I've said that.

Dean Smith didn't seem overly concerned by that, he admitted in his usual honest way, that he has no idea what constitutes a hand ball these days.

Well done to the authorities, in their attempt to make the hand ball rule easier to interpret, they've confused the lot of us!

I don't think it suggests that things aren't right though , I have been in dressing rooms where there has nearly been a fight after a defeat , but I know it didn't mean things weren't right.

"I don't know what it is at the moment but something needs to change. Maybe it's a mentality thing. Maybe we need to work on certain things. We're professional footballers who have played in the Premier League."

Things aren't right. Feel free to just admit you are always wrong, stand in the corner in your wrongness and just wallow in being wrong.

"I don't know what it is at the moment but something needs to change. Maybe it's a mentality thing. Maybe we need to work on certain things. We're professional footballers who have played in the Premier League."

Things aren't right. Feel free to just admit you are always wrong, stand in the corner in your wrongness and just wallow in being wrong.

I thought you were alluding to team spirit.

We know things aren't yet totally right on the pitch , making elementary mistakes is one of them like Mings did for the second goal , so he has to be careful who he calls out in interviews.

I'm alluding to everything, we aren't right... as you know, I've thought this from the get go, not said too much on the forum, I want to see how things pan out in 10 or so games, only fair. Just don't understand why there was quite so much excitement over players I've never heard of and was hoping the excitement was well founded by those who watch those there foreign leagues.

Not having some Prem experience looked folly to me, that is how it is still looking. Relying on some players who weren't even able to light up the Championship (have people forgotten we were 5th?) seemed like folly. Buying only one striker also looked like folly.

Nothing, as yet, has given me any confidence. I'm naturally an optimist, but I am also a realist. I need convincing, I still hope to be convinced, but on current showing, I am far from convinced yet. I usually feed off others optimism when I don't have any, but a lot of it looks unfounded to me. That isn't a dig at anyone, just I am seeing things differently.

Maybe we'll scrape by until January and we'll purchase a few more. Maybe.

We know things aren't yet totally right on the pitch , making elementary mistakes is one of them like Mings did for the second goal , so he has to be careful who he calls out in interviews.

He was calling himself out amongst others from the way I read it.

Hope so , because the team spirit will drop if he is having a pop at others while absolving himself.

Anyway I would be embarrassed if I was an Arsenal fan.

Great song yesterday made me laugh. "Do , do , doooo , football in a library. "