Anyone. But. Liverpool.... | Page 35 | Vital Football

Anyone. But. Liverpool....

They can win all the Champions League's and Super Cup's they want, but it's the league championship they crave. And they won't win that with Pep around.

One thing you have to admire about city and the scousers.

Both picked a manager they wanted, worked very hard and were patient to get him (City took years).

When they got their men, they backed them both in money and time.

They decided that the men they had picked were great managers and that a lack of instant success didn't change that. You can throw Spurs in that too despite lack of trophies.

The top three in the PL all spent ages identifying who they want, worked hard to pursue them and get them, then gave them all the time they needed to be the great managers the club had already decided they were.

A world away from our "18 minute" managerial decision.

Our problem is that we can't manage the first bit, which renders the second irrelevant.

Both picked a manager they wanted, worked very hard and were patient to get him (City took years).

They decided that the men they had picked were great managers and that a lack of instant success didn't change that. You can throw Spurs in that too despite lack of trophies.

The top three in the PL all spent ages identifying who they want, worked hard to pursue them and get them, then gave them all the time they needed to be the great managers the club had already decided they were.

Our problem is that we can't manage the first bit, which renders the second irrelevant.

We can't afford any manager we might want. I don't think anyone we've hired since Clough has been first choice.

I suspect if we ever did land our first choice, we might be a bit more patient.

For example, if we'd paid to get Jokanovic, I suspect he might have been given more time due to how expensive the compensation might be.

A bit unfair to compare our manager recruitment method with that of Liverpool and Manchester City. I wonder what Lewis Hamiltons reaction would be to an offer from a formula one team who offered him a Ford Mondeo to compete in?

Forget all this 18 minute bollocks, we wanted Sabri back in Jan, but the timing wasn't right for him then. There had obviously been talks going on for a few days before O'Neill's sacking and Sabri had been a target for some time. It wasn't the knee jerk reaction it seemed like at the time.

Forget all this 18 minute bollocks, we wanted Sabri back in Jan, but the timing wasn't right for him then. There had obviously been talks going on for a few days before O'Neill's sacking and Sabri had been a target for some time. It wasn't the knee jerk reaction it seemed like at the time.
Yes, I am a bit more inclined to accept that version of events.

That would appear to be correct. It would have been incredibly naive to believe we appointed Lamouchi 18 minutes after MON's departure without discussion and agreement several days before.

Lamouchi was offered the job in January before MON took over, but he did not think the timing was right.

It make MONs sacking look that little bit more cynical.

Get out of it mate. We wouldn't be pissing about in the Championship had Billy been kept on.

McClaren, Cotterill, O'Driscoll, McLeish, Pearce, Freedman, Montanier, Warburton, Karanka, O'Neill and now Lamouchi are not a patch on the KING. Bday

Wouldn’t be surprised if we had given Billy a ten year contract!! That’s why he’s not bothered about getting another job, because we’re still paying him!!

Lamouchi was offered the job in January before MON took over, but he did not think the timing was right.

It make MONs sacking look that little bit more cynical.

Not really. Why cynical? Everyone knew MON was a poor choice. We all wanted him to succeed but the football was dire.
They obviously tried for Lamouchi before MON and he declined.
Performances weren't good enough and there were alleged player revolts.
He had to go, it was just when.

My 18 minute comment was tongue in cheek. But the general point is valid. Who really believes that Lamouchi is the very best possible coach for forest who we have pursued for a long time?

There is a difference between offering it to him in Jan after losing one manager and then coming back when you've sacked the next one, and a long term strategic pursuit.

You can do it at this level- Leeds pursued Bielsa for a long time.

That makes the decision to sign him even worse then!!

My 18 minute comment was tongue in cheek. But the general point is valid. Who really believes that Lamouchi is the very best possible coach for forest who we have pursued for a long time?

There is a difference between offering it to him in Jan after losing one manager and then coming back when you've sacked the next one, and a long term strategic pursuit.

You can do it at this level- Leeds pursued Bielsa for a long time.
I think the club did their homework yes, before appointing Lamouchi. Just how much? well thats just speculation. Depends what you want to believe about the club in its present state I suppose.