👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread | Page 39 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread

I've no arguments in any of the reds against us this season, we've been lucky there hasn't been more.

I thought Sarr should have got the second yellow and walked. He was on a yellow and then was involved in a stonewall yellow at the end that was not given.

I also thought that VAR was very lenient on Davies. That was in the orange category for me, but should have already been on a yellow for an earlier incident. He got away with it because of his reputation in the game. However, he was beaten and made a very unnatural movement with his arm and clothes-lined Gibbs-White. If Romero did that, he could have easily walked.

You are right, there could have been more this season. What I would add though, is there would have been more reds against than what we got. We are the team that is genuinely trying to play the good football. We're not the team trying to rough up the opposition and disrupt their good football. We are not getting a good deal with these refs.

I thought Sarr should have got the second yellow and walked. He was on a yellow and then was involved in a stonewall yellow at the end that was not given.

I also thought that VAR was very lenient on Davies. That was in the orange category for me, but should have already been on a yellow for an earlier incident. He got away with it because of his reputation in the game. However, he was beaten and made a very unnatural movement with his arm and clothes-lined Gibbs-White. If Romero did that, he could have easily walked.

You are right, there could have been more this season. What I would add though, is there would have been more reds against than what we got. We are the team that is genuinely trying to play the good football. We're not the team trying to rough up the opposition and disrupt their good football. We are not getting a good deal with these refs.
Muttley......"We are not getting a good deal with the the refs"......a bloody understatement if I ave ever heard one, esp to what we ave seen this season! lol!

The ratio of fouls to cards for us and against is seems to be quite stark post Liverpool. I hope some normality resumes soon as I'm bored of seeing our players get kicked all over the place and get no protection - it's possibly partly why we see so many desperate challenges from our boys... but they need to be less emotional if we're going to progress.

It's as has been said earlier
And we didn't need a sports journalist to tel us.
The Premier league is simply the best in the world, that's why it's so widely watched.
Any team at home on their day can give you a bloody nose.
It is, a game of small margins, and quite often it's refereeing decisions which can be the turning point or springboard for a team in a game.
Hence why Refs like Oliver and before him Moss, Clattenburg obviously favour certain teams.

If you've read this before, you know why!

Ange must be the media's dream to interview. He is always patient, he listens respectfully to the questions and considers his answers. He is always candid, informative, and relaxed. As far as manager interviews go in the PL, he is on top of the table. Just my opinion.

He needs to adapt and quickly

It's fine going into games with a fit 11 and say play, but that isn't going to work with the spine we can currently put out

Good managers can adapt and know when a point is a good result and set up to protect the weaknesses, or are brave in selection.

He is doing neither.

It's fine going into games with a fit 11 and say play, but that isn't going to work with the spine we can currently put out

Good managers can adapt and know when a point is a good result and set up to protect the weaknesses, or are brave in selection.

He is doing neither.
I think he's doing a pretty good job. We're lightyears ahead of where we'd have hoped to be, even with a full strength squad!

He is doing neither.

I'm not sure it is as easy as you make out. Ange seems to have his philosophy that we all call "Ange-ball". If you're a limited player that doesn't have the natural talent and football brain then you're still expected to play it. That sometimes means we have 8 that can and the remainder that can't. That leads to the opposition targeting the weakness and makes us look vulnerable.

However, say we chose to stop the high press, sit back and play on the counter. Wouldn't that just negatively impact the 8 players that can play Ange-ball? Wouldn't it scramble their heads after being drilled and drilled into playing the Ange way on the training ground?

Perhaps there is a middle ground system that works.

What Ange needs to do is teach these guys how to disrupt the opposition whilst his team are playing Ange-ball. That is our current weakness. We don't knock them off their stride when they're in the ascendency in phases of games. That is particularly the case with this awful refereeing from PGMOL where you can do what say, Villa, do and cross the line of the dark arts.

What I was hoping Ange would do is take a deeper look at his fully extended squad and only use Ange-ball players. As an example, we wouldn't have seen Hoj play holding midfield. We'd be watching Mathew Craig, our U21 captain, if that had been the approach.

All I know is what I see when we have our 'actual' team out there...and it looks great. I can't wait to see what he does when he actually has a bench full of guys who can play his system as well.

**I would like to know his thoughts on playing younger guys though...just seems strange that he wouldn't give our young CBs a go.

Wasn't this chart questioned regarding accuracy at the time? The more money being placed results in the odds being shortened, the odds wouldn't be 55/1 if this chart were accurate.
It was based on the volumes of bets not the amounts, bets on us getting relegated were many, but small, on others it was less (by vol) but larger by amount(s) ÂŁ

Last edited:
Spurs have been one of the Premier League’s busiest sides this month, bringing in Timo Werner on loan and Radu Dragusin for £25.8 million, while loaning out several fringe first-team players.

They have also looked at bringing in a midfielder, with Chelsea’s Conor Gallagher and Jacob Ramsey of Aston Villa among the players they admire. On the outgoings front, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg has been the subject of interest from several clubs, while Bryan Gil is another one who has attracted interest.

Postecoglou was also asked on Tuesday about Jurgen Klopp’s departure from Liverpool and the challenge of staying motivated and not suffering burnout.

Postecoglou, 58, explained that the way he has managed it in his career so far is not to stay anywhere too long. “If you ask me about my longevity, part of that process for me has been moving on after three or four years or two years,” said Postecoglou, whose longest stint in club football has been three years. “I’ve mostly done it after success but I know how hard it is to rebuild after you’ve done that and I’ve found it’s always better to move on. At the time that’s how I’ve felt. I can see how if you stay at one club, if you need to do one, two, maybe a third rebuild it can be taxing.”

On whether he would change that pattern of not staying at a club long enough to have to do one or multiple rebuilds, Postecoglou said: “I don’t know. You just address those things. Ultimately you just go with how you feel at the time and that’s always what I’ve done. If I felt that it was time for me to move because there was another challenge that I really like or enjoy, I’ve made that decision.

“I haven’t based any decision I’ve made around security or contracts because I’ve probably left secure positions for insecure positions because that’s how I am as a person. I know that is when I work at my best. I don’t know whether that changes over time, but I’ve never pre-empted that stuff or put any timelines to it.

“It could be two years, could be three years, could be four years, it could be longer than that but I’ve always moved when I’ve felt there was another challenge there that I thought would be the best fit for me.”