Administration? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Administration?

He may be forced to if the club can’t meet all its various bills? He’s made several million out of the club already, I don’t know why he didn’t retire years ago.

He would be better off using a CVA if that was the case, then he continues to run the business and not the administrators

Maybe I have been whooshed or maybe his self appointed nickname is just a joke, but would "Eddie the Binman" not give a clue as to what his day job may be or may have been?

I am sure that he was the one that used to print some of the stories in BMH about taking old bangers with mates up to games in the north and breaking down, then rating the pies and pints so I don't suspect that he is minted, or was at that time, or that he runs his own business.
The nickname "Binman" I remember reading in the BMH refers to what he wore at university not his job.

I don't think the scenario of Administration is completely far fetched. If you put some recent events together; a potentially large out of court settlement which we may have had difficulty meeting; the chairman retreating to the background; an Accountant being appointed seeking new finance and/or to put our house in order; a former Director to whom( I think) we owe money currently looking at large legal fees.
If that was a plot line to a TV drama I don't think it would be criticised on the grounds of being unbelievable.
The most recent published accounts don't encompass the events described above , however, I don't believe that they would necessarily cause us to become insolvent, provided the value of the real estate could be realised in some way to defray these extraordinary costs.
Now because I am not a fan of Scally, I'm sure Tim Wetherspoon's blue and white army will be out in force with their usual joined -at- the- hip retorts. On balance I think Scally should be given the benefit of the doubt on his reasons for retreating into the shadows but I think it would be foolish not to be prepared for some significant announcement quite soon.
What I hope to hear is some positive news about ownership and investment. A few wins on the pitch wouldn't come amiss either.

In my opinion, watching thousands of Gillingham games doesn’t give any genuine insight as to how the club is run.
I wouldn’t know this Eddie guy if he stood up in my soup but do feel that posting comments on social media sometimes have unintended consequences.
As TB says, if a single person believes what he suggested to be true, then it affects the business and club he professes to love.
This highlights the potential danger of social media.
His ‘question’ is passive/aggressive in my opinion.
He’s hoping it’s not true while secretly hoping it is true.
A bit like the old I’d love to be proved wrong posts when really they’d love to be proved right.

I mean this with respect, but I don't understand how any person who supports the club can not know who he is.

I happen to know him pretty well on a personal level now, but even when I didn't - putting aside the fact he authored/edited/sold BMH for near on 20 years - he is at literally every single away (and home) game.

I would have thought it is virtually impossible to not know who he is imo (I recognised him from BMH when I was 15 and I am now 34), do you go to games anymore?

Eddie has sources, there won't be smoke without fire here - obv we all hope it is bollocks. But some of the transfer info I give to you guys (that tends to happen) is partly through him.

I don't think the scenario of Administration is completely far fetched. If you put some recent events together; a potentially large out of court settlement which we may have had difficulty meeting; the chairman retreating to the background; an Accountant being appointed seeking new finance and/or to put our house in order; a former Director to whom( I think) we owe money currently looking at large legal fees.
If that was a plot line to a TV drama I don't think it would be criticised on the grounds of being unbelievable.
The most recent published accounts don't encompass the events described above , however, I don't believe that they would necessarily cause us to become insolvent, provided the value of the real estate could be realised in some way to defray these extraordinary costs.
Now because I am not a fan of Scally, I'm sure Tim Wetherspoon's blue and white army will be out in force with their usual joined -at- the- hip retorts. On balance I think Scally should be given the benefit of the doubt on his reasons for retreating into the shadows but I think it would be foolish not to be prepared for some significant announcement quite soon.
What I hope to hear is some positive news about ownership and investment. A few wins on the pitch wouldn't come amiss either.
I don’t think Scally will be back mate.
I think he’ll enjoy his retirement and employ staff to do what he previously did (everything)
We will probably rock up to home games but will not be so involved in the day to day business.
For what it’s worth, I also believe he will continue to draw down some kind of remuneration.
If the club went into administration, he’d totally lose control of everything which is why it won’t happen.

I mean this with respect, but I don't understand how any person who supports the club can not know who he is.

I happen to know him pretty well on a personal level now, but even when I didn't - putting aside the fact he authored/edited/sold BMH for near on 20 years - he is at literally every single away (and home) game.

I would have thought it is virtually impossible to not know who he is imo (I recognised him from BMH when I was 15 and I am now 34), do you go to games anymore?

Eddie has sources, there won't be smoke without fire here - obv we all hope it is bollocks. But some of the transfer info I give to you guys (that tends to happen) is partly through him.
I genuinely don’t know who he is.
I’ve read BMH many times but never took notice of who the writers were.
I’ve been home and away since the seventies and have never noticed him at either.
I sat in the RE for over twenty years and never saw or heard him.
I know who you are because of GITB but I don’t think I’ve ever seen you at a home or away fixture.
The smallest away crowd for many years was last season, Plymouth away, first game.
I was there with about 100 others but didn’t notice this guy.
He was undoubtedly there but I didn’t see him.

Some people on Facebook are absolutely lapping this up.

Nothing to it other than someone asking a question because he heard from someone that there might be problems but no evidence is available.

Apparently we could just suddenly go into administration through running out of money and being unable to fulfill fixtures.

No thought to the fact that before we ran out of money there would be rounds of layoffs and other measures to try and balance the books before it got that far.

I imagine most of the guys on here are watching the game - that might account for it.
I will confess that I would routinely stay in the Blues Rock/Factory until about a minute before kick off.
That may be why.
Then watch the game
Then leave

I don’t think Scally will be back mate.
I think he’ll enjoy his retirement and employ staff to do what he previously did (everything)
We will probably rock up to home games but will not be so involved in the day to day business.
For what it’s worth, I also believe he will continue to draw down some kind of remuneration.
If the club went into administration, he’d totally lose control of everything which is why it won’t happen.

Shoty, if you know anyone who knows or has worked with or for PS they will tell you he is a workaholic, won't or can't delegate and is a control freak. NH said the other day he'd been in almost daily contact with PS. That doesn't sound like someone who taking a step back to me and a break from all things GFC.

I will be amazed if PF is still here at Xmas and PS doesn't come back in the future. He just can't leave it alone.

That is a bit of a sweeping statement. Do you only count regular die hard home and away supporters?

I have never lived in Medway, played football on Saturday Afternoons until the age of 38 (I am 64 now) and, at peak, I have only attended about half the home games and very few away games so I am an admitted plastic compared to the majority on here.

I usually buy tickets in the GRS and occasionally the Medway Stand so I am not a Rainham End diehard.

However, I have followed the team's fortunes to the exclusion of any other since 1967 and will continue to do so after I finally move to Suffolk in a few weeks, even though I will be more likely to attend the Colchester away game than any home game from then onwards.

I loved BMH and Eddie's contributions but I also would not recognise him.

I genuinely don’t know who he is.
I’ve read BMH many times but never took notice of who the writers were.
I’ve been home and away since the seventies and have never noticed him at either.
I sat in the RE for over twenty years and never saw or heard him.
I know who you are because of GITB but I don’t think I’ve ever seen you at a home or away fixture.
The smallest away crowd for many years was last season, Plymouth away, first game.
I was there with about 100 others but didn’t notice this guy.
He was undoubtedly there but I didn’t see him.

I don't doubt the credentials you have btw - I just find it strange how people who go away games cannot know who he is (not having a pop), there is a core of about 100 or so I would say that even if I don't know their names I know their face.

That is a bit of a sweeping statement. Do you only count regular die hard home and away supporters?

I have never lived in Medway, played football on Saturday Afternoons until the age of 38 (I am 64 now) and, at peak, I have only attended about half the home games and very few away games so I am an admitted plastic compared to the majority on here.

I usually buy tickets in the GRS and occasionally the Medway Stand so I am not a Rainham End diehard.

However, I have followed the team's fortunes to the exclusion of any other since 1967 and will continue to do so after I finally move to Suffolk in a few weeks, even though I will be more likely to attend the Colchester away game than any home game from then onwards.

I loved BMH and Eddie's contributions but I also would not recognise him.

Like I say mate, not doubting anyone's credentials, I am just surprised people don't know who he is. I'd say the same about other people, not just Eddie - the likes of Jim Case, Lee Clifton etc, people who are at every game that it is hard to not recognise, and then end up knowing who they are.

Shoty, if you know anyone who knows or has worked with or for PS they will tell you he is a workaholic, won't or can't delegate and is a control freak. NH said the other day he'd been in almost daily contact with PS. That doesn't sound like someone who taking a step back to me and a break from all things GFC.

I will be amazed if PF is still here at Xmas and PS doesn't come back in the future. He just can't leave it alone.
We’ll see.
Like many others, I worked constantly and for long hours.
Then one day I said to my wife, I think we’ll call it a day.
So we retired early.
I suited me but not her so she started a new business, against my better judgment.
It’s actually turned out pretty good. (So far)
I suppose what I’m trying to say is that Scally may enjoy not having to be anywhere or meet anyone unless on his own terms.
Alternatively he may hate it and be craving to get back.
Given his medical history, I’d reckon his family would be happier if he stayed away from the club.

I don't doubt the credentials you have btw - I just find it strange how people who go away games cannot know who he is (not having a pop), there is a core of about 100 or so I would say that even if I don't know their names I know their face.
Could be because I tend to sit or stand away from the vocal crowd, mainly because I don’t like the negativity that often comes with that.
That’s the best thing about the old league two grounds with terraces.
You can just walk away if you get a knob jockey in your ear 😁
Ps
I don’t think that I know the other guys you mentioned either.
I recall one guy with grey hair who is a postman who I always see away.
Is he one of them?
Newport away will be my next local ish game.
I’ll look out for you 👍

Last edited:
I've said many times on the subject of PS it'd be better for all concerned if PS stepped back from GFC. That is for him and his health, his familys sake and the future of GFC. The problem is he's got to want to do it and be able to do it but IMO it's currently a case of "easier said than done".

He works damned hard and long hours in the name of GFC but part of that is down to not being able or willing to delegate, doing jobs that he pays othe rpeople to do but doesn't appear to be able to trust their ability to do it so oversees/interferes (as is his right as owner) making more work for himself.

Could be because I tend to sit or stand away from the vocal crowd, mainly because I don’t like the negativity that often comes with that.
That’s the best thing about the old league two grounds with terraces.
You can just walk away if you get a knob jockey in your ear 😁
Ps
I don’t think that I know the other guys you mentioned either.
I recall one guy with grey hair who is a postman who I always see away.
Is he one of them?
Newport away will be my next local ish game.
I’ll look out for you 👍

Bar Grimsby next month, it is my next away game - see you there, I can't guarantee I won't be three sheets to the wind though.

If he’s right, GBN will be champing at the bit to take over with his 1 pound coin.

Feels like all the posters on here should make an effort to say hi to each other at a game later this season - Stockport just before Christmas?