Administration? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Administration?

Maybe I have been whooshed or maybe his self appointed nickname is just a joke, but would "Eddie the Binman" not give a clue as to what his day job may be or may have been?

I am sure that he was the one that used to print some of the stories in BMH about taking old bangers with mates up to games in the north and breaking down, then rating the pies and pints so I don't suspect that he is minted, or was at that time, or that he runs his own business.

Not particularly inflammatory but part of a tiresome pattern from a self appointed "expert".

Btw, I'm not defending Scally here but feeling as if it's groundhog day. Can he just give it a rest for a while given the changes over the last month?

Agree, not inflammatory at all. But as Trashy has just said, any idle chat like this is always fanned and built on by the willing disciples. It becomes social media fact. And I think he (as well as people like Fred) know this perfectly well.

We all saw how nibbles having a quick joke about Shorey taking up a recently vacated position in London (on that day) was repeated over the next few weeks as a “good rumour” and many folk on social media thought he had actually left (inc me initially).

There is a definite push among those types who want change irrespective, to heap scorn and start rumours about everything GFC.

The faux pas that gills admin made on Twitter yesterday was very quickly screenshotted and sent viral by a lot of “gills fans” because they knew it would be immediately deleted when gills realised. The rush to get it out there and ridicule the club was astonishing. And some obviously sent it to newspaper accounts to get national coverage.

Then the news that the shirts have finally arrived, was met with 100’s of abusive and mocking posts on Facebook. Not one positive comment. All from Gills “fans” who apparently love the club…

People are free to call out fellow fans but I'd appeal for tolerance towards differences of both opinions and temperament. We were corralled into pro and anti Scally camps a while back, now it's for or against wanting a change at the top. It started as a subtle difference but is broadening into villification by association. For the avoidance of doubt this is waht Eddie posted on FB:

" Genuine question, has anyone else heard any rumours re the Gills might face the risk of actually going into administration in October? First time I've heard them and obviously sincerely hope they are not true... Can anyone shed any light either way? Bit of a worry to be honest... "

Hardly inflammatory in my book. I'm not a friend of his but have exchanged words because he's a friend of a friend. He wouldn't recognise me but I see him at every game I go to and he supports the team enthusiastically during games.

Hey jo. Did Eddie post this on the fans forum? The closed one?

Asking because he doesn’t appear to have asked the question on the GiTB forum or on Twitter. But he’s quite active on both.

Asking because he doesn’t appear to have asked the question on the GiTB forum or on Twitter. But he’s quite active on both.

I’m sure he’s posted to Fisher on his Twitter about the team’s performance.

But feels the need to post about rumours of administration to the SOB loonies rather than direct it to the club’s chairman.

Go figure!

Quite glad I dont bother with things like Twitter, Facebook etc. Seems to be too many attention seeking idiots and beats me why anyone would take any notice of it unless your'e about 13yrs old. This site is the only social media I bother with but fortunately theres not too many loons on here. But when I hear some of the bollocks people talk about on Twitter it sounds abit like conversations you use to hear in the pub by someone pissed out of their skull.

He is a genuine fan and no way would I put him in the Fred Perry league. However he is a sh#t stirrer and seemingly obsessed with hating Scally. The bloke needs to give it a rest, at least for a few months to see how Harris and Fisher get on.

He loves to be negative about the Gills.

I would like to know what work experience and knowledge he has to be able to comment, apparently authoritatively, on what's going on and what the Gills/Scally should do.

I wonder how his CV compares to that of Fisher and then we could see who is most likely to steer us in the right direction.

Anyone know what Eddie's CV looks like?

Well it might include having watched a couple of thousand or so Gills games home and away over the best part of the last 40 years (missing probably less than a handful each season), being part of the editorial team of the award winning Brian Moore's Head fanzine, and often writing in the official club program.

I wonder how that compares to your CV?

Leave the Binman alone ffs, he's Gills through and through and would never do. anything to harm the club. You don't have to agree with him but you should refrain from the snide comments about him, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well it might include having watched a couple if thousand or so Gills games home and away over the best part of the last 40 years (missing probably less than a handful each season), being part of the editorial team of the award winning Brian Moore's Head fanzine, and often writing in the official club program.

Leave the Binman alone ffs, he's Gills through and through and would never do. anything to harm the club. You don't have to agree with him but you should refrain from the side comments about him, in my opinion.
As I said, watching loads of games is no qualification on how to run a business/football club.

I've certainly not claimed that I'm qualified to make authoritative comments about how to run the club. I've also not claimed that my CV is any better than the Binman's.

Still haven't found out what business experience he does have though. I'm genuinely interested and would be happy to be shown that he does have considerable knowledge. If so, I'll cut him some slack.

Well it might include having watched a couple if thousand or so Gills games home and away over the best part of the last 40 years (missing probably less than a handful each season), being part of the editorial team of the award winning Brian Moore's Head fanzine, and often writing in the official club program.

Leave the Binman alone ffs, he's Gills through and through and would never do. anything to harm the club. You don't have to agree with him but you should refrain from the side comments about him, in my opinion.

I would imagine that the ‘harm’ that some people Scally accused other of doing is this very thing.

Suppose I am Christiano Ronaldinho. It’s deadline day. I’’m leaving Utd and there are 2 clubs in for me: Gillingham and Rochdale. My decision is on a knife-edge. I hear (unfounded) rumours of Gillingham being in financial distress - so I choose Rochdale to ply my trade.

Suppose I am the director of a large company looking to hold my Christmas Party at the conferencing facilities. I hear (unfounded) rumours that the club is in financial distress and worry that if I book at Priestfield I’m going to lose my deposit. I opt to book at The Ivy instead.

I would say that spreading rumours like this does cause harm to the club.

What’s more, he chooses to spread them at the very people who seemingly want the club to fail, the SOB.

He’s as bad as Fred.

People are free to call out fellow fans but I'd appeal for tolerance towards differences of both opinions and temperament. We were corralled into pro and anti Scally camps a while back, now it's for or against wanting a change at the top. It started as a subtle difference but is broadening into villification by association. For the avoidance of doubt this is waht Eddie posted on FB:

" Genuine question, has anyone else heard any rumours re the Gills might face the risk of actually going into administration in October? First time I've heard them and obviously sincerely hope they are not true... Can anyone shed any light either way? Bit of a worry to be honest... "

Hardly inflammatory in my book. I'm not a friend of his but have exchanged words because he's a friend of a friend. He wouldn't recognise me but I see him at every game I go to and he supports the team enthusiastically during games.

Great post Jo. Debate gets stifled when everything is immediately jumped on as being instantly divisive.

In my opinion, watching thousands of Gillingham games doesn’t give any genuine insight as to how the club is run.
I wouldn’t know this Eddie guy if he stood up in my soup but do feel that posting comments on social media sometimes have unintended consequences.
As TB says, if a single person believes what he suggested to be true, then it affects the business and club he professes to love.
This highlights the potential danger of social media.
His ‘question’ is passive/aggressive in my opinion.
He’s hoping it’s not true while secretly hoping it is true.
A bit like the old I’d love to be proved wrong posts when really they’d love to be proved right.

I would imagine that the ‘harm’ that some people Scally accused other of doing is this very thing.

Suppose I am Christiano Ronaldinho. It’s deadline day. I’’m leaving Utd and there are 2 clubs in for me: Gillingham and Rochdale. My decision is on a knife-edge. I hear (unfounded) rumours of Gillingham being in financial distress - so I choose Rochdale to ply my trade.

Suppose I am the director of a large company looking to hold my Christmas Party at the conferencing facilities. I hear (unfounded) rumours that the club is in financial distress and worry that if I book at Priestfield I’m going to lose my deposit. I opt to book at The Ivy instead.

What’s more, he chooses to spread them at the very people who seemingly want the club to fail, the SOB.

He’s as bad as Fred.
Wait a sec, Ronaldo is joining Rochdale instead of us?!

We must have a seriously shit budget, FFS, Shorey/Scally/Harris/Fish/etc.

Jogills, re CV I meant actual experience of the world of work and running businesses rather than how many games he's seen Gills/Kent play.

For example, it appears that SE1Gills on this board has some such experience so he will have some idea of what he is talking about. Has Eddie?

What is his work record?

I too was referring to work record. If an accountant comments on the accounts my ears prick up but when anyone offers their general opinion on what is going on I treat it like my own and all the rest, just a stone in the pond. I also think that years of following a club can provide basis for reasonable opinion and that those too close to the cation can lose focus. I don't dismiss experts but amateurs have worthwhile insights too.

If we are not allowed to say anything that the SOB might latch onto then we are doomed to parrot meaningless positivism forever. Even then we might be chastised for not being fulsome enough. Read what Eddie wrote, not a statement but a question from a worried fan. Perhaps he is becoming mildly neurotic but that's one of the constant dangers of being a football fan, particularly one of a lower division football club. Please don't anyone judge me on the first few sentences after a disappointing defeat: relegation, adminsitration, abuse of all and sundry in response to a polite enquiry from my wife. She doesn't listen to a word of it and replies.

" Never mind dear. "

He’s as bad as Fred.

Bang on,

Anyone who runs a business knows how difficult it is to make end meet (unless your margins are great - mine aren’t)

negativity just damages the brand and the negativity surrounding GFC at the moment on the playing side alone doesn’t help the club, add to that this administration malarkey and more damage is being done

We all know we are not the most glamorous of Clubs but I am proud to be a GFC supporter because in the great scheme of things there arnt many of us about.

negativity just damages the brand and the negativity surrounding GFC at the moment on the playing side alone doesn’t help the club, add to that this administration malarkey and more damage is being done

Spot on. This is reason I don't think those idiots who post negative stuff on Kent Online and Twitter really know the impact of what they are doing to the club. Yes they may think Scally is killing the club, but they are kicking the body whilst it is down!!!

As you say Buddha, He's def Gills through and through having met him on a couple of occasions travelling North. Think he use to run & organise away travel back in our championship days as I know I met up with him & several others in London before heading oop North. He always seemed an ok bloke & certainly no idiot, quite the opposite I'd say. Have a feeling he's from Canterbury.

Gills Discussion Forum OSK. Perry posts and is in my opinion boringly repetitive. I very rarely post but hope no one is poring over the few I have made for signs of disloyalty, pasive agressive offerings, or anything giving succour to SOB.

I've never run a business, never held any exalted position, or even followed any observable career path. I have always had opinions and been prepared to offer them, less provocatively with age. I expect others to behave in the same way but contrary opinions do not in my opinion define one as right/wrong, good/bad and sometimes opponents are nicer people than allies.